August 21, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Apple salad is an easy and delicious salad that is sure to please everyone! Packed with crisp apples, crunchy walnuts, sweet mini marshmallows, and a creamy dressing, this colorful salad is the perfect side dish for any meal.
Apple Salad Ingredients
Creamy apple salad has a pleasing combination of sweet and tart flavors. The crisp apples provide a refreshing crunch, while the salty nuts offer an extra layer of texture.
Soft marshmallows bring a little bit of fun to the dish, and the creamy dressing gives it just enough sweetness to make it irresistible. All in all, this salad is full of flavor and will leave you feeling satisfied.
- 3 medium-sized Fuji apples, washed, cored, and diced
- 2 medium-sized Granny Smith apples, washed, cored, and diced
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1¾ cups of miniature marshmallows
- 1½ cups of diced celery
- 1 cup of roughly chopped walnuts
- ½ cup of mayonnaise (your favorite brand, I used Kraft Mayo)
- ⅓ cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
Substitutions And Additions
NUTS: You can substitute any chopped nuts for walnuts. You can even use candied pecans or walnuts instead of plain nuts.
MIX-INS: You can add seedless grapes, dried craisins, or dried, chopped apricots.
SOUR CREAM: Plain Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream in the dressing for this easy apple salad.
How To Make This Apple Salad Recipe
This delicious apple salad can be quickly and easily prepared in just a few steps. Begin by combining the apples, nuts, marshmallows, and celery in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the ingredients to make the dressing. Pour the dressing over the apple mixture and toss gently to combine.
Check out our step-by-step instructions below.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can make this salad the night before. Because of the dairy-based dressing, always keep the salad refrigerated.
STEP ONE: Add the diced Fuji and Granny Smith apples to a large salad bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the apples and stir to coat the apples completely.
The lemon juice will help prevent the apples from turning brown in your salad.
STEP TWO: Add the miniature marshmallows, diced celery, and chopped walnuts to the coated apples. Stir to combine.
STEP THREE: Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and granulated sugar to a small bowl. Whisk until the sugar is completely incorporated and begins to dissolve.
STEP FOUR: Spoon the dressing over the apple salad and stir to coat all the ingredients completely. Serve immediately.
Toss the salad carefully, as you don’t want to break or crush any of the ingredients in this salad.
How To Serve
This apple salad pairs beautifully with a variety of proteins, such as grilled chicken, tilapia, or pork tenderloin. It can also be served as part of a larger buffet-style meal or enjoyed on its own for lunch or dinner.
This tasty and fresh salad will keep in the fridge for a couple days if you have any leftovers.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Do not freeze this salad, as the fresh apples will become mushy.
Loaded with crunchy apples, salty nuts, and other fresh ingredients, this apple salad is the perfect way to add a little bit of freshness to your meal. Serve it as a side dish or for a light lunch when you are looking for a recipe with plenty of texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: This easy recipe can be made ahead of time, but you have to make sure you treat the apples so that they don’t go brown. Toss them with fresh lemon juice before adding them to the salad.
A: We like to use Granny Smith apples and Fuji apples, but if you prefer another type of apple, look for Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, or Gala apples.
A: This wonderful salad won’t freeze very well, so we don’t recommend it. It tastes best when eaten within a day or two of being made.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Blueberry Fluff
- Peach Fluff
- Tropical Cheesecake Fruit Salad
- Orange Fluff
- Apple Betty
- Overnight Fruit Salad
- Fuji Apple Panera Salad
- Apple Fritter Recipe
- Snickers Salad
- Apple Fritter Bread
- Apple Dump Cake (Without Caramel)
- Fried Apples
- Pineapple Pretzel Salad
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Salad
- Apple Dumplings with Crescent Rolls
- Hasselback Apples
- Apple Crisp
- Berry Cheesecake Salad
- Apple Pie Recipe
- 3 medium-sized Fuji apples (washed, cored, and diced)
- 2 medium-sized Granny Smith apples (washed, cored, and diced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1¾ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1½ cups celery, diced
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise, your favorite brand (I used Kraft Mayo)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Add the diced Fuji and Granny Smith apples to a large salad bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the apples and stir to completely coat the apples.
- Add the miniature marshmallows, diced celery, and chopped walnuts to the coated apples. Stir to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and granulated sugar to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until the sugar is completely incorporated and begins to dissolve.
- Spoon the dressing over the apple salad and stir to completely coat all the ingredients.
- Serve immediately.
- You can substitute any chopped nuts for the walnuts. You can even use candied walnuts or pecans instead of plain nuts.
- You can make this the night before. Because of the dairy-based dressing, always keep the salad refrigerated.
- You can add seedless grapes, dried craisins, or dried, chopped apricots.