Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
This recipe for no knead bread is an easy way to bake artisan bread at home. It uses a no-knead bread dough that rises overnight and bakes in a dutch oven for a soft interior and crispy crust.
Looking for more at-home bread recipes? Check out our top no yeast bread recipe, Easy Beer Bread.
What Is The Difference Between Knead and No Knead Bread?
No knead bread uses a long rise time to create its texture along with a small amount of yeast. It has a very wet dough that usually takes 18 – 24 hours to rise. The taste and texture of no knead bread is similar to kneaded bread, but the process is very simple. No knead bread is best baked in a dutch oven to help give it a perfectly round shape and crispy crust.
Ingredients for No KNead Bread
You will need:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105 degrees F)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flour, for cutting board
- Italian Seasonings
- Roasted Garlic
- Fresh Herbs
Ingredient Substitutions & Additions
ITALIAN SEASONING: Add 1 – 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning for some delicious herb flavor in your bread. Fold in the seasoning after your bread rises and just before it goes into the oven.
ROSEMARY: Rosemary is our favorite herb to add to this bread! It adds just the right amount of flavor and goes well with the parmesan cheese. Gently fold it into your bread right before it goes into the oven.
ROASTED GARLIC: Add a head of roasted garlic to turn this recipe into a yummy garlic bread. Once you’ve roasted your head of garlic, fold in the individual cloves to your risen bread.
How to Make No Knead Bread
STEP 1: In a small mixing bowl add warm water and active dry yeast. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl, add 3 cups flour, salt, and parmesan cheese.
STEP 3: Pour the yeast and water mixture into the bowl and mix with a large spoon.
STEP 4: Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 18-24 hours.
STEP 5: When ready to bake the bread, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a 3 quart dutch oven with the lid on in the oven and let it heat up as the oven preheats.
STEP 6: On a large cutting board sprinkle about 1⁄4 cup of flour.
STEP 7: Place the dough on the cutting board and flip it over to coat it with flour and the gently shape it into a ball.
PRO TIP: Be extra gentle with your dough as you knead it. You’ll need to handle it slightly to make sure it’s coated in flour and then shape it into a ball, but try to minimize how much you flip and shape it.
STEP 8: Place the dough in the preheated, HOT dutch oven and cover it with the lid.
STEP 9: Place dutch oven back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
STEP 10: Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, or until the top of the bread is golden and crusty.
STEP 11: Remove the bread from the hot dutch oven and let it cool. Slice and serve.
Storing & Reheating
In the Fridge
Because baked bread doesn’t have any preservatives, it’s best eaten within a couple days at room temperature or after being stored in the fridge. You can refrigerate no knead bread but doing so tends to dry the bread out.
It will keep for 1 – 2 days either at room temperature or in your fridge.
If you’re storing your bread at room temperature, do so in an airtight container, plastic wrap, or (preferably) a ceramic bread box.
In The Freezer
Freezing the bread is the best way to store leftovers. Store it in an airtight bag or plastic wrap once it’s cooled and then keep it in your freezer. You can also wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and freeze them.
Once you’re ready to eat your bread, let it thaw at room temperature. You can also reheat it in the oven to recreate the fresh-baked bread texture.
This is a great recipe for no knead bread that’s fluffy on the inside and perfectly crusty on the outside. It’s an easy way to make artisan bread at home, and perfect for pairing with practically anything for meals!
More Loaves & Quick breads you’ll love
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Coffee Cake
- Carrot Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese
No Knead Bread
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water 105 degrees (F)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup flour for cutting board
- Italian seasonings
- roasted garlic
- fresh herbs
- In a small mixing bowl add warm water and active dry yeast. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add 3 cups flour, salt, and parmesan cheese.
- Pour in yeast/water mixture and mix with a large spoon.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit out at room temperature for 18-24 hours.
- When ready to bake the bread preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a 3-quart dutch oven (cast iron) with the lid on in the oven and bring it up to 450 degrees.
- On a large cutting board sprinkle about ¼ cup flour. Place the dough on the cutting board and flip over to coat with flour and shape into a ball.
- Place dough in the preheated HOT dutch oven and cover with the lid. Place dutch oven back in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, or until the top of the bread isgolden and crusty.
- Remove bread from hot dutch oven and let cool. Slice and serve.
- Dough will be sticky, preheating the dutch oven ensures that the bread will not stick to the dutch oven.
- You can also use a regular-sized dutch oven, it will produce a flatter result than above as it will have more room to spread out.