January 8, 2024Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This blueberry coffee cake is packed with fresh, juicy blueberries and topped with a sweet crumble topping to create a divine and decadent cake. We love how exceptional this traditional Southern recipe tastes for a morning treat or later in the day with a scoop of ice cream.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Ingredients
If you’re looking for a breakfast or dessert that’s packed with flavor, you can’t go wrong with blueberry coffee cake.
With each bite, you’ll experience a sweet and tangy combination of blueberries baked into a moist, fluffy cake.
The crumbly streusel topping adds an irresistible texture and a hint of cinnamon that perfectly complements the bursts of juicy blueberries throughout the cake.
- 1½ cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour plus 4 tablespoons, divided into 1 tablespoon, 2 cups, and 3 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter plus 3 tablespoons, divided into ¼ cup and 3 tablespoons, softened/room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ cup of milk
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
Substitutions And Additions
BERRIES: This great recipe would be yummy with other types of berries, either to replace the blueberries or along with the blueberries. Try adding strawberries or raspberries as two delicious options.
LEMON: If you love a hint of lemon in your treats, blueberry pairs exceptionally well with lemon.
Turn this recipe into a lemon blueberry coffee cake by adding a few drops of lemon extract, lemon juice, or lemon zest for a tangy variation.
TOPPING: If you are serving this for breakfast, the crumb topping is perfect. If you would like to serve it as an afternoon snack, you can take it to the next delectable level with a drizzle of caramel sauce or whipped cream on top.
How To Make This Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
Whip up the simple batter to make this coffee cake before spreading the batter in a pan, topping it with the crumb topping, and baking.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of flour to the blueberries and gently stir to coat them. Set aside.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Coating the blueberries in flour will help keep them suspended in the coffee cake while baking, so you will have a nice distribution throughout.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt (whisking will remove any lumps in the flour). Set the mixing bowl aside.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar, ¼ cup butter, and egg on medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and mix on low speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Add the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.
Do not over mix at this stage; you’ll want to beat until just combined each time you add more flour mixture.
STEP FIVE: Gently stir the flour-coated blueberries into the cake batter.
STEP SIX: Spread the mixture evenly into an 8×8-inch square pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
This batter is quite sticky. When transferring to the pan, add a sprinkle of flour to the dough and your hands to get it into the pan easier.
STEP SEVEN: In a small bowl, mix together with a fork the topping ingredients of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons of butter, and cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the batter.
STEP EIGHT: Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the cake tester comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
Let it sit in the baking dish for 10 minutes before serving.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cake at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
How To Serve Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Serve this lovely breakfast cake for a weekend brunch. It is perfect alongside a warm cup of coffee or tea.
Coffee cake is a lovely way to add a sweet treat to your breakfast table. Check out our best coffee cake recipe with its sweet and simple glaze on top.
Looking for more blueberry recipes? You have to try our blueberry cobbler as well.
Storing This Streusel Blueberry Coffee Cake
We’ve got some handy tips on how to properly store your blueberry coffee cake for later enjoyment.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re looking to get a head start on your breakfast or brunch planning, you can make this blueberry coffee cake ahead of time.
Once it’s completely cooled, tightly wrap the cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it fresh.
You can leave it at room temperature for up to 2 days or store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store the coffee cake in the fridge in an airtight container for four to six days. Warm cake or serve it cold, based on your preference.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze the coffee cake, wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place it into a heavy-duty freezer bag. It will keep for two to three months.
Sweet juicy berries are the stars of this scrumptious blueberry coffee cake. The crunchy, cinnamony crumb topping makes it perfect for gobbling up. Serve it at brunch or afternoon tea, and you will have a sure crowd-pleaser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fresh or frozen blueberries would work fine in this recipe.
You can store the coffee cake in the fridge for 4 to 6 days or in the freezer, well-wrapped in plastic wrap, for 2 to 3 months.
Serve blueberry coffee cake for breakfast or brunch alongside a warm drink and other sweet pastry treats.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Jello Poke Cake
- Cherry Dump Cake
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Peach Dump Cake
- Cheese Danish
- Berry Upside Down Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Dessert
- Tiramisu Cake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Mini Blueberry Cheesecake
- Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Lemon Sponge Cake Recipe
- Blueberry Fluff
- Texas Roadhouse Butter
- Blueberry Cheesecake
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour divided into 1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the 1 tablespoon of flour to the blueberries and gently stir to coat blueberries with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt (whisking will remove any lumps in the flour). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, ¼ cup butter, and egg on medium-high speed with a handheld mixer for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and mix on low speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.
- Gently stir in the flour-coated blueberries.
- Spread mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together with a fork the topping ingredients of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons of butter, and cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the coffee cake batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake tester comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
- Coating the blueberries in flour will help keep them suspended in the coffee cake while baking, so you will have a nice distribution throughout.
- This batter is quite sticky. When transferring to the pan, add a sprinkle of flour to the dough and your hands to get it into the pan easier.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cake at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
Even More Easy Recipes
- Lemon Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Strawberry Angel Food Cake
- Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream
- Banana Upside-Down Cake
- Homemade Coffee Creamer
- Lemon Fluff
- Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Blueberry Fudge
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Dump Cake
- Mini Blueberry Pies
- Lemon Chiffon Cake
- Blueberry Butter
- Lemon Blueberry Cobbler
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie