February 12, 2023Review Recipe
Bacon-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
Table of Contents
There isn’t anything better than the combination of bacon and melted cheese. Our bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks prove it with their oozing cheesy center wrapped in crispy bacon. This is the perfect party food.
We have plenty of appetizer suggestions the next time you want to feed a crowd. Make fried pickles, stuffed mushrooms, cucumber bites, and seven layer dip, and you’ll have very happy party guests.
MORE BACON-WRAPPED RECIPES:
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken | Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob
BACON-WRAPPED MOZZARELLA STICKS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 pound bacon (typically about 12 slices of bacon)
- 12 whole milk or low-moisture mozzarella sticks
- Cooking oil (not pictured)
Pro Tip: Use regular cut bacon as thick-cut bacon will take too long to cook and also has fewer pieces per pound in the package.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Cheese: Instead of the mozzarella cheese strings, you could try the cheddar or marble varieties to change it up. You could also replace the cheese strings with mozzarella cheese cut from a block; just make sure the cheese pieces are about the same size and shape as a cheese string.
Bacon: While we haven’t tried this variation, you could try substituting prosciutto for the regular bacon in this recipe.
Jalapeno: Spice up your cheese sticks with jalapeño slices in your wrapped bundle. Place the jalapeño on top of the cheese sticks before wrapping them in the strips of bacon.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BACON-WRAPPED MOZZARELLA STICKS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Unwrap mozzarella sticks from their wrappers.
STEP TWO: Use one bacon strip for each mozzarella stick. Wrap one end of the bacon over one end of the cheese stick. Use a wooden toothpick to secure the bacon in place, pushing the toothpick straight through the bacon and into the center of the cheese.
STEP THREE: Wrap the bacon slice around the cheese stick, overlapping each layer slightly until the bacon can be folded over the opposite end. Secure with another toothpick. A piece of bacon should completely cover the cheese stick. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: Continue wrapping all of the cheese sticks with bacon.
STEP FIVE: Place the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
PRO TIP: Chilling the wrapped cheese sticks isn’t completely necessary, but it seems to make a difference in preserving the cheese stick while the bacon cooks. Warmer cheese sticks seem to ooze more and be floppier when transferring them out of the oil.
STEP SIX: Fill a skillet with 2 inches of cooking oil (vegetable oil) and heat over medium-high until the oil reaches 350°F.
PRO TIP: The oil takes some time to heat (about 15 minutes). Use an instant-read thermometer or a candy thermometer to ensure the oil is heated to the correct temperature. If the oil isn’t hot enough, the cheese will become too soft and will ooze out of the bacon completely before the bacon is cooked all the way.
STEP SEVEN: Remove several cheese sticks from the freezer and add them directly to the hot oil.
STEP EIGHT: Fry, flipping after a few minutes until the bacon is cooked to the desired crispness.
STEP NINE: Use a strainer to remove the fried mozzarella stick from the oil and place it on a paper towel or paper bag to absorb the extra oil.
STEP TEN: Continue cooking the cheese sticks in batches until done.
STEP ELEVEN: Remove toothpicks before serving.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve these little bites of heaven with a dipping sauce of your choice. There are plenty of options, including pizza sauce, BBQ sauce, marinara sauce or ranch dressing. You could even pair them with our ranch crack dip or jalapeno popper dip for a spicier flavor.
These would be fantastic to serve at a party. In my house, we love having pub nights for dinner every once in a while when we make several appetizers and enjoy all the goodness that comes with these types of delicious foods.
These would be a delicious addition to the menu. If you want to serve a “less spicy” alternative to guests as well, serve them alongside our bacon wrapped pineapple.
IN THE FRIDGE: These bacon fried mozzarella sticks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days but are best served while still warm.
REHEATING: You can reheat these bacon-wrapped cheese sticks for 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave after storing them in the refrigerator.
I don’t think you could go wrong with this combination of the flavorful bacon and gooey cheese. Biting into these bacon-wrapped fried mozzarella sticks with their hot melted cheese and salty bacon would check all the boxes for an appetizer.
You could substitute prosciutto for the bacon as it has a similar salty taste.
Placing the cheese strings in the freezer for at least 30 minutes helps slow down how fast the cheese cooks compared to the bacon.
There are several options to dip your bacon mozzarella stick, including pizza sauce, marinara sauce, barbecue sauce, and ranch dressing.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Bacon-Wrapped Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 pound bacon typically about 12 slices
- 12 whole milk mozzarella sticks or low-moisture mozzarella sticks
- cooking oil not pictured
- Unwrap mozzarella sticks from their wrappers.
- Use one piece of bacon for each mozzarella stick. Wrap one end of the bacon over one end of the cheese stick. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon in place, pushing the toothpick straight through the bacon and into the center of the cheese.
- Wrap the bacon around the cheese stick, overlapping each layer slightly until the bacon can be folded over the opposite end. Secure with another toothpick. A piece of bacon should completely cover the cheese stick. Set aside.
- Continue wrapping all of the cheese sticks with bacon.
- Place the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill a skillet with 2 inches of cooking oil (vegetable oil) and heat over medium-high until the oil reaches 350°F.
- Remove several cheese sticks from the freezer and add them directly to the heated oil.
- Fry, flipping after a few minutes until the bacon is cooked to desired crispness.
- Use a strainer to remove the fried mozzarella strip from the oil and place on paper towels or paper bags to absorb the extra oil.
- Continue cooking the cheese sticks in batches until done.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
My guys love bacon anything and this was a big hit!
Joan Vaughn says
ThankYou so very much. ,can’t wait to make this for a girls party
Has anyone tried cooking these in the air fryer?
Layne Kangas says
Hi, Maria – we haven’t tested them in the air fryer yet, please let me know if you do!