February 13, 2023Review Recipe
7 Layer Dip
Table of Contents
This 7 layer dip, sometimes called 7 layer taco dip, is one of the best Mexican-style appetizers around, but fair warning, it’s addictive. One dip into the layers of cream cheese, salsa, guacamole, and more, and you’ll be prying yourself away, it’s just too good!
7 Layer Dip Ingredients
- 16-ounce can of refried beans
- 1½ cups of sour cream
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 1 cup of salsa
- 2 cups of Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 2.25-ounce can of sliced black olives
- ½ cup of sliced green onions
- Fresh tomato, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
Use Roma tomatoes as they are less juicy, and therefore your dip won’t become too soggy.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
SALSA: A chunkier salsa works best in this dip because it layers better. The thinner, more liquid-based salsas give the dip a runnier texture causing the layers of the dip to start to separate a bit. If you’d prefer a smoother salsa, make sure you check out our recipe for restaurant style salsa.
GUACAMOLE: Fresh guacamole is actually quite simple to whip together. Check out our recipe for guacamole. If you’re not up for the challenge or just want to keep this recipe as quick and easy as possible, no worries. Luckily, there are plenty of great options for pre-made guacamole at any grocery store.
CHEESE: Your choice of cheese in this recipe is completely flexible. A Mexican blend is recommended, but you could also use regular cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese if you prefer.
How To Make This 7 Layer Dip Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Your choice of dish is fairly flexible. I made mine in a deep-dish pie plate, but you can also make it in an 8×8 square dish or even in a bowl.
STEP ONE: Spread the refried beans on the bottom of the dish.
The beans do not need to be heated before adding them to this dish. If you have made your own, let them cool before layering.
STEP TWO: Next, spread the sour cream on top of the refried bean layer.
STEP THREE: Spread the guacamole on top of the sour cream. Add the layer of salsa on top of the guacamole.
STEP FOUR: Top the salsa layer with an even amount of the Mexican cheese blend. Sprinkle the sliced green onions evenly over the cheese layer, and then sprinkle the black olives on after that. You can also garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro if you’d like.
Offer this dip with additional toppings for people to add on as they like. Jalapeños or other green chiles for spice lovers, onions are a great option, as well as green olives, and extra fresh tomatoes and cilantro for those who like extra flavor.
How To Serve
Scoops chips tend to hold up really well to the weight of the dip. They also get the perfect ratio of all seven layers in every scoop.
Otherwise, any tortilla chips will do. Corn chips are another great option because they also tend to be a bit stronger and hold up well against the seven layers.
When entertaining guests, serve this easy recipe alongside our other dip recipes, including cream cheese dip, cold crab dip, or buffalo chicken dip.
MORE DIP RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover this seven-layer Mexican dip tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
This dip is always a huge hit with a large crowd, and for good reason. It is full of everyone’s favorite ingredients, all packed into one dish. Whip up a batch any time of year for family gatherings or other large parties, and you won’t likely have any leftovers to put in the fridge!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This layered dip can be made the day before, and in fact, it gives the fresh ingredients time to mingle before eating, making it taste even better.
Seven-layer dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Traditional 7-layer dip contains refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, green onions, and black olives. There is no right order, you can mix these up or add something completely different if you prefer. Add browned ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning mix for a meat-based version for one of your layers.
You do not need to heat the refried beans for this simple recipe. Just add them to the pan at room temperature.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Cowboy Caviar
- French Onion Dip
- Layered Taco Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Crack Dip
- White Queso Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
7 Layer Dip
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 2¼ ounces black olives, sliced
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- fresh tomato, garnish
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- Spread refried beans on the bottom of your dish. You can use a deep dish pie plate or large bowl or even an 8×8 square baking dish.
- Next, spread a layer of sour cream over the beans. Then, spread guacamole on top of the sour cream and then salsa on top of the guacamole.
- Top the salsa with a Mexican cheese blend.
- Finally, sprinkle green onions and black olives. You can also garnish with fresh tomatoes and fresh cilantro.
- Serve this dip nice and chilled with your choice of tortilla chips or scoops style corn chips.
- Use Roma tomatoes as they are less juicy, and therefore your dip won’t become too soggy.
- Your choice of dish is fairly flexible. I made mine in a deep-dish pie plate, but you can also make it in an 8×8 square dish or even in a bowl.
- The beans do not need to be heated before adding them to this dish. If you have made your own, let them cool before layering.
- You can also serve this dip with some additional toppings for people to add on as they like. Jalapeños or other green chiles for spice lovers, onions are a great option, as well as green olives, and extra fresh tomatoes and cilantro for those who like extra flavor.
Layne Henderson says
We love this easy dip recipe… so good!
Toni Thomason says
This is a great go-to dip for game days!! It’s always a hit.
Donna @ Modern on Monticello says
I love appetizers too and sometimes order them for a meal. This recipe would make a great meal. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty