Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
A fun twist on the classic pastry balls, this cream puff dessert is made with a crispy choux pastry base, a layer of creamy vanilla custard, whipped topping, and a drizzle of hot fudge sauce.
CREAM PUFF DESSERT INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- ½ cup of salted butter
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages of French vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups of whole milk
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 8 ounce) tub of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Hot fudge sauce
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
French Vanilla Pudding Mix: There isn’t too much difference between French vanilla pudding and regular vanilla pudding, so you could use the regular kind for this recipe if needed.
Hot Fudge Sauce: Chocolate syrup would also work to drizzle on top of this dessert.
Candy Bits: If you wanted, you could add chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or any other small candy pieces on top of this dessert.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAM PUFF DESSERT RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
STEP TWO: In a 4-quart saucepan heat the butter, water, and salt over medium heat. When the butter has melted completely and the mixture begins to boil, remove it from heat.
STEP THREE: Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a smooth ball. Allow to cool for five minutes.
STEP FOUR: One at a time, add the eggs, beating each egg into the mixture with a wooden spoon.
PRO TIP: The mixture will separate with the addition of each egg, but then come back together to form a smooth paste-like batter.
STEP FIVE: Spread the batter into the bottom of the baking dish.
STEP SIX: Bake for 25 minutes, until puffy and golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
STEP SEVEN: While the pastry is cooling, use the wire whisk attachment on a hand or standing mixer to beat together the softened cream cheese, pudding, milk, and heavy cream.
PRO TIP: A wire whisk will help to break down the cream cheese, but it is important that the cream cheese is quite soft before mixing. A few lumps won’t matter to the end result.
STEP EIGHT: Spread the pudding mixture to fill the cooled pastry.
STEP NINE: Add a layer of whipped topping.
STEP TEN: Drizzle with hot fudge sauce.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover this cream puff dessert with plastic wrap and you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to five days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can make cream puff dessert in advance and freeze it for up to one month. Thaw in the refrigerator before adding the hot fudge drizzle.
This cream puff dessert in a pan recipe has all the deliciously sweet flavors of cream puffs, but without all the hard work! Rather than making individual puffs, you can bake everything in one pan for a simple dessert that’s easy to make ahead and take to a party.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Cream Puff Dessert
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 3.4 oz packages French Vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz tub frozen whipped topping thawed
- hot fudge sauce you can try our delicious hot fudge sauce recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan heat butter, water, and salt over medium heat. When the butter has melted completely and the mixture begins to boil, remove it from heat.
- Immediately mix flour into the saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and forms a smooth ball.
- Allow mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Adding only one egg at a time, beat each egg into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. The mixture will separate with the addition of each egg but then come back together, forming a smooth paste-like batter.
- Spread batter into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges have poofed up the sides of the baking dish and the batter is golden brown. Some of the batter on the bottom of the dish may puff up also, which is fine.
- Cool completely.
- Use the wire whisk attachment on a hand or standing mixer to beat together softened cream cheese, pudding, milk, and heavy cream. A wire whisk will help to break down the cream cheese, but it is important that the cream cheese is quite soft before mixing. TIP: You can also beat the cream cheese and pudding mix and gradually add the milk/cream to keep the mixture smooth. A few lumps in the finished filling won’t matter.
- Spread pudding mixture to fill the cooled puff. Spread the whipped topping evenly over the pudding filling.
- Serve with hot fudge sauce drizzled over the top.