June 21, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Homemade cookies and cream ice cream is so easy to make using just four ingredients and has the best flavor. With chunks of chocolate cookie swirled through sweet creamy vanilla ice cream, this cool summer time treat is as fun to make as it is to eat.
We suggest drizzling your ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce and serving it inside chocolate chip cookie cups. Homemade ice cream tastes so much better than store-bought and we’ve got lots of ice cream recipes including no-churn ice cream to satisfy your sweet tooth. Check out our classic vanilla ice cream, cotton candy ice cream and red velvet ice cream and see if you can find a new favorite ice cream flavor.
COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 cup of chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 14 ounce of sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CHOCOLATE GRAHAM CRUMBS: You could buy ready-made graham cracker crumbs or make your own by crushing chocolate graham crackers with a rolling pin. If you can’t get graham crackers where you live, we suggest using chocolate Oreo cookies or another brand of chocolate sandwich cookies instead.
SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK: A good substitute for sweetened condensed milk is a can of evaporated milk mixed with a cup of sugar.
HEAVY CREAM: Whipping cream would work just as well as heavy cream for this recipe.
COCOA POWDER: You can easily make this recipe into chocolate cookie cream ice cream by adding a half cup of sifted cocoa powder into the ice cream mixture alongside the condensed milk and vanilla.
TOPPINGS: You can top your ice cream with whatever you fancy. We suggest a little bit of hot fudge sauce, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, sprinkles, chopped nuts, or butterscotch chips.
HOW TO MAKE THIS COOKIES AND CREAM ICE CREAM RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 inch cake pan and a medium-sized metal loaf pan with parchment paper. Place the loaf pan into the freezer.
STEP TWO: In a medium-sized bowl, make the cookie mixture by whisking together the chocolate graham crumbs and a half cup of sweetened condensed milk.
STEP THREE: Pour the cookie mixture into the cake pan and bake for eight to twelve minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
PRO TIP: When you remove the cookie mixture from the oven, check if it’s done by inserting a toothpick. It should come out clean.
STEP FOUR: In a large bowl, begin to prepare the ice cream by using an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream for at least two minutes, until soft peaks form.
PRO TIP: The cream will go through several stages – bubble, slightly thickened, rippling, then puffy and airy.
STEP FIVE: Gently stir the remaining condensed milk and the vanilla extract into the whipped cream.
PRO TIP: Don’t overmix at this stage or the cream will deflate.
STEP SIX: Fold the ice cream mixture into the lined loaf pan.
STEP SEVEN: Use a fork to crumble the cookie mixture and push the chocolate cookie pieces into the ice cream base.
STEP EIGHT: Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least four hours or overnight.
HOW TO SERVE
This tasty treat is perfect served in a bowl with sundae toppings, in sugar cones or in a waffle cone. Start with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and let your imagination run wild. Check out our substitutions section above for plenty of fun ideas for toppings.
IN THE FREEZER: Homemade cookies and cream ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to three months in an airtight container.
Cookies and ice cream go so well together, why not combine them? Cool and creamy with chunks of chewy chocolate cookies, this homemade ice cream is a wonderfully indulgent dessert that the whole family will love. The recipe comes together without an ice cream maker which makes it easy for anyone to whip up a batch the next time you want a refreshing treat.
This is a great idea and although we haven’t tried it yet, I can’t see why you couldn’t use this ice cream as part of an easy ice cream cake.
You can use any type of milk in this recipe but a lower fat milk such as skim milk will result in a less creamy ice cream than if you make it with whole milk or cream.
No-churn ice cream doesn’t require an ice cream maker. Unlike “churn” ice cream, it doesn’t tend to have eggs and often uses sweetened condensed milk in place of granulated sugar.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 14 ouncs sweetened condensed milk divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate graham crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 inches cake pan and a medium-sized metal loaf pan with parchment paper. Place the loaf pan into the freezer.
- Whisk together the chocolate graham crumbs and ½ cup sweetened condensed milk until fully incorporated.
- Press into a lined or greased 9×9 cake pan and bake 8 to 12 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Begin to prepare the ice cream base. Whip up your whipping heavy cream with a mixer for at least 2 minutes, until soft peaks form. Be careful not to overmix or the cream will turn to butter!
- Gently stir in the remainder of sweetened condensed milk along with the vanilla extract. You don't want to deflate the cream, so avoid overmixing.
- Fold the ice cream base into a glass cake pan or lined loaf pan then sprinkle pieces of the brownie mixture into the ice cream, pushing some pieces further into the ice cream with a spatula.
- Cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, sprinkles, cherries, nuts – the sky is the limit!