November 10, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This decadent chocolate mug cake is the perfect treat for any chocoholic. The rich and fudgy cake can be made in just a few minutes, and the end result is so good that you’ll want to make it again and again.
Chocolate Mug Cake Ingredients
This chocolate mug cake is an indulgent dessert featuring the deep flavor of cocoa powder balanced with just the right amount of sweetness from granulated sugar.
The chocolate chips create pockets of molten chocolate, making each bite a delightful, gooey surprise.
- ⅓ cup of self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
Substitutions And Additions
FLOUR: You can substitute all-purpose flour for self-rising flour. Add a ¼ teaspoon of baking powder along with the regular flour.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You can substitute mini chocolate chips for regular chocolate chips in this microwave chocolate mug cake.
You could also substitute dark chocolate chips for semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER: If you’re looking to experiment with different cocoa flavors, consider using Dutch-processed cocoa powder for a smoother and milder chocolate taste.
For a hint of richness, try substituting some cocoa powder with high-quality dark chocolate shavings or cocoa nibs.
This addition will add both texture and a deeper chocolate dimension.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Experiment with flavored extracts like almond, hazelnut, or even a touch of peppermint extract for a delightful twist.
Each will impart its unique essence to the cake, elevating the overall flavor profile.
How To Make This Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Grab your mug, and let’s get mixing up the simple batter for this individual dessert!
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
STEP ONE: Using a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and white sugar.
STEP TWO: Pour the dry ingredients into a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Using a wider and shorter cup for this works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
STEP THREE: Make a “well” in the center of the flour mixture.
STEP FOUR: Pour in the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is well combined and somewhat smooth.
STEP FIVE: Sprinkle in the chocolate chips.
STEP SIX: Microwave the cake batter for 70 to 75 seconds, depending on your microwave’s wattage.
Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
How To Serve
The beauty of this sweet treat is that you can make an individual portion with only a handful of simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Pair your chocolate mug cake with a glass of cold milk for a classic, comforting combination.
MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This easy chocolate dessert does not reheat well, so we don’t recommend trying to store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
Why We Love This Recipe
QUICK AND EASY: This recipe is a lifesaver when you’re craving a homemade dessert but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
INDIVIDUAL PORTION: This single-serving chocolate mug cake allows you to satisfy your dessert cravings without any leftovers.
SATISFYINGLY DELICIOUS: The rich and moist texture, combined with the deep chocolate flavor, creates a dessert that’s incredibly satisfying.
The next time you have a chocolate craving but don’t want to spend the time making an entire cake, whip up this microwave chocolate mug cake. This delicious chocolate cake is the perfect size for a quick snack, and I guarantee you won’t regret it.
Frequently Asked Questions
This decadent dessert does not reheat well, and we don’t recommend trying to store it in the fridge or freezer for any length of time.
A 12-ounce mug is just the right size for this great recipe.
The cook time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, but we find somewhere between 70 to 75 seconds is about right. Keep an eye on your cake near the end of cooking and watch for the center to be just set. Don’t overcook it, or you will end up with a dry cake.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vanilla Trifle
- Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug
- Mug Cake with Cake Mix
- Vanilla Mug Cake Recipe
- Coffee Cake in a Mug
- Cupcake in a Mug
- Pancake in a Mug
Chocolate Mug Cake
- ⅓ cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
- Using a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and sugar.
- Pour the dry ingredients into a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make a “well” in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour in the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is well combined and somewhat smooth.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave the cake batter for 70 to 75 seconds, depending on your microwave’s wattage.
- Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
- Using a wider and shorter cup for this works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
- Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Busy Day Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Puddles
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Chocolate Covered Graham Cracker Recipe
- Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- Campfire Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Gravy Recipe
- German Chocolate Cake
- Black Forest Icebox Cake
- Nutella Mug Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
- Crazy Cake
- Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Chocolate Delight
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites