January 16, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Insanely creamy and ridiculously easy to make, this rich chocolate pie is a delightful treat to whip up anytime you have a craving. A buttery pie crust is filled with a fluffy pudding filling for this dreamy chocolatey treat.
For more simple pie recipes, try our Arkansas possum pie and eggnog pie. Both are heavenly creamy treats that you’ll want to make over and over again.
CHOCOLATE PIE INGREDIENTS
- 9-inch baked pie crust (try our homemade pie crust recipe)
- Double recipe of stabilized whipped cream (try our stabilized whipped cream recipe)
- 5-ounce package of chocolate pudding mix (cook and serve used here, but instant is fine also)
- 3 cups cold milk
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
PUDDING: Use your favorite type of creamy chocolate pudding mix for this homemade chocolate pie recipe. If the pudding is cooked, be sure that it is cooled completely before mixing it into the whipped cream so that it doesn’t melt.
TOPPING: You can top the pie with chocolate curls, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or sprinkles. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate would be equally yummy. To make shaved chocolate, use a vegetable peeler to grate it from a chocolate bar.
CRUST: An Oreo cookie crust, regular chocolate cookie crust, or graham cracker crust is also delicious with this easy chocolate pie. If you want to use the traditional pie crust listed in the ingredients, you can either use a store-bought crust or a homemade pie crust recipe.
MILK: Any milk will work fine, but we find whole milk will make this pie extra creamy.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE PIE RECIPE
Whether you are using store-bought or your own crust, make sure it is baked first.
STEP ONE: Prepare the pudding according to the package instructions. For cook and serve pudding, bring pudding mix and milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. For instant pudding, whisk together pudding mix and milk until pudding is thickened.
STEP TWO: Fold 1 cup of the whipped cream into the pudding and milk mixture until thoroughly combined.
STEP THREE: Spoon pudding mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
If you are using a store-bought pie crust and it is in a foil pie plate, we’d recommend placing that inside a glass pie dish for added stability.
STEP FOUR: Slice and serve with additional whipped cream.
Freezing this chocolate pudding pie helps it set more quickly and slice cleanly.
HOW TO SERVE
Chocolate lovers will never say no to a piece of this delicious pie at dessert time. The chocolate flavor is over-the-top decadent, and the buttery pie crust a classic choice. Add a dollop of whipped cream on top of the pie. To add even more chocolate goodness, serve with a mug of whipped hot chocolate to wash it down.
IN THE FRIDGE: Keep leftovers of this no-bake pie in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, covered in plastic wrap.
IN THE FREEZER: Store in the freezer for up to a month well-wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
The creamy chocolate pie filling is out-of-this-world amazing. This pie is perfect for a special occasion or to satisfy a sweet tooth. It’s so easy to make that you really don’t need a reason to add it to your dessert menu.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy chocolate pie can be frozen, well-wrapped, for up to a month.
Old fashioned chocolate pie recipe tastes excellent with sprinkles, chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, whipped cream, or even toffee bits.
Instead of the chocolate pudding filling, you could use any flavor of pudding you’d like. Customize it however you like including butterscotch, vanilla, or strawberry flavor.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Custard Pie
- French Silk Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Banana Pudding Pie
- Apple Slab Pie
- Millionaire Pie
- 1 baked pie crust (9 inch) try our homemade pie crust recipe
- double recipe of stabilized whipped cream try our stabilized whipped cream recipe
- 5 ounces chocolate pudding mix cook and serve used here, but instant is fine also
- 3 cups cold milk
- Prepare pudding according to package instructions. For cook and serve pudding, bring pudding mix and milk to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature. For instant pudding, whisk together pudding mix and milk until pudding is thickened.
- Fold 1 cup of whipped cream into the pudding mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon pudding mixture into baked pie crust and spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
- Slice and serve with additional whipped cream.
What a yummy treat!