Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Banana bread pudding is a tasty treat that can be served for brunch or as a dessert. So simple to make, you just soak bread in milk, butter, cream, mashed bananas, and spices, then bake it in the oven.
ingredients for BANANA BREAD PUDDING
You will need:
- 16 ounce loaf of French bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of melted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Caramel sauce for topping, optional
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
French Bread: Any kind of bread will work for this recipe, including sourdough, brioche or even croissants.
Raisins: A quarter cup of raisins would make a tasty addition to this recipe.
Chocolate Chips: Why not sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on top of your banana bread pudding?
HOW TO MAKE THIS BANANA BREAD PUDDING RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13″ glass baking dish.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
STEP THREE: Add the heavy cream, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Whisk until combined.
STEP FOUR: Mash bananas with a fork. Then add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
STEP FIVE: Slice the bread into bite-sized pieces and place evenly into the baking dish.
STEP SIX: Pour the mixture over the bread, toss to mix evenly and wait for ten minutes while the bread absorbs the liquid.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for one hour or until the top is evenly browned. When you press the bread it should bounce back.
PRO TIP: If you have some bread sticking out and don’t want it to burn before the rest of the pudding has browned, cover that area with a small piece of aluminum foil.
STEP EIGHT: Serve warm and topped with caramel sauce or whipped cream.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover banana bread pudding can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to five days. Serve cold or reheat in the oven.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze banana bread pudding for up to three months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Homemade banana bread pudding is a great way to use up soft bananas and stale bread. Bread that’s a day or two old works well because it soaks up the liquid, but you can make this recipe with fresh bread too if that’s what you have to hand.
more recipes you’ll love
Banana Bread Pudding
- 16 oz french bread loaf
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter plus more for greasing
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 medium bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- caramel sauce for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 13” glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
- Add heavy cream, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Mash bananas with a fork. Then add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
- Slice bread into bite sized pieces. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour egg mix over bread and toss to mix evenly. Allow the bread to absorb the egg mixture for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the center of the bread pudding is set (bread bounces back slightly when pressed) and the top is evenly browned.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce if desired and serve warm.