November 10, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Banana bread pudding is a tasty treat that can be served for brunch or as a decadent dessert. So simple to make and packed with banana bread flavor, all you need to do is soak bread in a custard mixture, then bake it in the oven.
Banana Bread Pudding Ingredients
Banana bread pudding is rich and sweet, with a complexity of flavors that come together to create a truly decadent treat.
The banana gives this dish a sweetness, while the bread adds a comforting depth of flavor and texture.
The custard is a creamy concoction that soaks into the bread to leave it extra moist and delicious.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup of melted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf of French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Caramel sauce for topping, optional
This is a great way to use up any overripe bananas you have sitting on your counter.
Substitutions And Additions
BREAD: The best bread for bread pudding is stale bread.
We recommend using stale bread because the dry bread chunks will soak up the liquid so much better than fresh bread, giving it the best flavor.
If you don’t have French bread, you can use day-old sourdough bread, croissants, challah, or Italian bread instead as a few excellent choices.
RAISINS: A quarter cup of raisins would make a tasty addition to this great recipe.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Why not sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips on top of your delicious banana bread pudding?
How To Make This Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
To make this tasty treat, you will combine the ingredients to make a custard that is mixed with mashed bananas. The mixture is poured over the top of the bread cubes, soaking into all of the crevices. Bake and enjoy!
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
STEP THREE: Add the heavy cream, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Whisk until combined.
STEP FOUR: Mash bananas with a fork. Then add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
STEP FIVE: Slice the bread into bite-sized pieces and place bread cubes into the greased baking dish.
STEP SIX: Pour mixture over the bread, toss to mix evenly, and wait for ten minutes to let the bread soak up the egg mixture.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for one hour or until the top is evenly browned. When you press the bread, it should bounce back.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you have some bread sticking out and don’t want it to burn before the rest of the pudding has browned, cover that area with a small piece of aluminum foil.
STEP EIGHT: Serve the warm pudding topped with caramel sauce or whipped cream.
How To Serve
This banana bread pudding makes for an easy breakfast or brunch recipe.
This easy banana bread pudding recipe combines the sweet flavors of banana bread with the rich, warm gooeyness of a traditional bread pudding.
Storing Banana Nut Bread Pudding
Here’s a guide to help you make the most of this yummy dessert:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’d like to prepare in advance, you can make the banana bread pudding a day or two before serving.
After it has cooled, cover it securely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to serve, you can reheat individual portions for a warm and comforting treat.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover banana bread pudding can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to five days. Serve cold or reheat in the oven.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze banana bread pudding for up to three months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
REHEATING: To enjoy your frozen banana bread pudding, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight for the best results.
If you’re in a hurry, you can use the microwave on a low setting to defrost individual portions.
For a warm and comforting treat, reheat the pudding in the microwave or in an oven preheated to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes.
Why We Love This Recipe
ULTIMATE COMFORT DESSERT: This recipe combines the comforting goodness of classic banana bread with the indulgence of bread pudding.
REDUCE FOOD WASTE: Got overripe bananas sitting on your counter? This recipe is a delicious way to rescue them from becoming food waste.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY: Banana bread pudding is a dessert that appeals to all ages. The warm, gooey, and comforting nature of this dessert makes it a crowd-pleaser.
Homemade banana bread pudding is a great way to use up soft bananas and stale bread. The bread is soaked with a custard egg mixture and baked to create a gooey and soft brunch or dessert treat.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Any stale or day-old bread works well for bread pudding since it will soak up the egg mixture better than fresh bread.
Bread pudding is delicious served either warm or cold, based on your personal preference.
This easy recipe can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Bread
- Pineapple Bread
- Chocolate Easter Eggs (Coconut Cream)
- Vanilla Trifle
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Banana Bread Pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup melted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 medium bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups mashed)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 16 ounces French bread loaf
- caramel sauce for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
- Add heavy cream, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Mash bananas with a fork. Then add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
- Slice bread into bite sized pieces. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour egg mix over bread and toss to mix evenly. Allow the bread to absorb the egg mixture for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the center of the bread pudding is set (bread bounces back slightly when pressed) and the top is evenly browned.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce if desired and serve warm.
- This is a great way to use up any overripe bananas you have sitting on your counter.
- If you have a piece or two of bread that is sticking up higher than others (particularly around the edges), you can cover just that area with a small piece of aluminum foil if it begins to burn before the rest of the pudding has browned.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Banana Split Cake
- Caramelized Bananas
- Banana Roll Cake
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Air Fryer Banana Bread
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Brownies
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Banana Pudding Pie
- Chessmen Banana Pudding
- Cast Iron Banana Bread
- Banana Pudding