March 21, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This chessmen banana pudding recipe is a fun twist on a classic treat. Instead of vanilla wafers, this version, a la Paula Deen, uses Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies on top of fresh bananas and the best banana pudding recipe for a sweet, crunchy, (and fun!) dessert.
CHESSMEN BANANA PUDDING INGREDIENTS
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
- 6-8 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
PUDDING: If you can’t find French vanilla pudding, plain vanilla pudding is a close substitute. For a creamier version, add ½ French vanilla pudding and ½ cheesecake pudding (it’s decadent)!
STRAWBERRIES: Add a layer of thinly sliced strawberries on top of your layer of bananas for a pop of color and some extra sweet, fruity flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHESSMEN BANANA PUDDING RECIPE
STEP ONE: Using a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, line bottom of the pan with one bag of cookies.
If there are any broken cookies in your bag, use them here! Save all of the prettiest cookies for the top of your pudding.
STEP TWO: Layer the banana slices over the top of the layer of cookies.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, combine the milk and instant pudding mix using a hand mixer. Mix for about 5 minutes, until it starts to get thick.
STEP FOUR: In another large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk with the mixer until smooth.
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature, otherwise, you may end up with lumps in your mixture.
STEP FIVE: Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.
STEP SIX: Then add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.
STEP SEVEN: Pour the combined mixture over the top of the sliced bananas and cookies.
STEP EIGHT: Then, place the rest of the cookies on top of this mixture. Carefully cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours until ready to serve.
Make sure you don’t skip the chilling step. It’s important to give your dessert time to let all the flavors mingle and soften the cookies slightly.
HOW TO SERVE
This amazing no-bake dessert will be a huge hit with its fun chessmen on top. If you are looking for an extra indulgent dessert, why not add a scoop of our no-churn vanilla ice cream on top?
IN THE FRIDGE: If you need to make this delicious dessert ahead of time or store your leftovers, it will keep in the fridge in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap for 2 to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: It’s not recommended to freeze your chessmen banana pudding because the bananas won’t hold up well in the freezer and thawing it can make the texture soggy.
This chessmen banana pudding has everything that you want in a dessert: it’s easy to make, has decadently sweet banana flavor, and is pretty to look at.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To keep your bananas from turning brown, spritz them with a bit of lemon or lime juice.
This no-bake banana pudding will keep in the fridge for up to four days. The only thing you will want to keep in mind is that the bananas will start to turn brown unless you spray them with lemon juice before layering them in the dish.
Part of the charm of this dessert is the designs on the cookie. If you are able to find another similar vanilla wafer with fun designs, you could use those. If all else fails, you can use Nilla wafers in place of the Chessmen cookies.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Blueberry Delight
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Butterfinger Cake
- Custard Pie
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
Chessmen Banana Pudding
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
- 6 to 8 bananas sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 5 ounces instant French vanilla Pudding
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- Using a 9 x 13 pan layer the bottom of the pan with one bag of cookies (use any broken ones for the bottom).
- Layer the sliced bananas over the top of the cookies.
- In a large bowl combine the milk and pudding mix using an electric mixer, about 5 minutes until it starts to get thick.
- In another large bowl combine the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk with the mixer until smooth.
- Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended or you could use the mixer you were already using!
- Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas.
- Place the remaining cookies on top of this mixture.
- Carefully cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours until ready to serve. Can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight.