October 31, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Bread pudding is an old-fashioned dish that’s a favorite of many. This simple recipe will have you whipping up the homemade classic of bread soaked in an egg mixture and topped with a decadent caramel sauce.
Bread Pudding Ingredients
This bread pudding is a comforting dessert made with cubed Italian or French bread baked in a creamy, sweet, and spiced custard.
It’s topped with a rich caramel sauce for an indulgent finish, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
For The Bread:
- 4 cups of cubed Italian or French bread, stale is best
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of butter, melted
If the only bread you have is fresh but you really want to make this recipe, then bake 250°F for 10 minutes on a sheet after cubing. This will help dry it out so it can soak up more custard.
For The Caramel Sauce:
- ½ cup of light brown sugar, tightly packed
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Substitutions And Additions
BREAD: Any type of stale bread can be used. This is the perfect way to get rid of stale sandwich bread, hot dog buns, or even croissants.
We recommend using stale bread because it soaks up the liquid so much better than fresh bread, giving it the best flavor.
MILK: You could also use 2% milk or a low-fat option in place of the whole milk.
SPICES: While this is a classic bread pudding recipe, bread pudding can actually be made in many different varieties, depending on which spices and flavors you add.
Some of the most popular are banana bread pudding, pumpkin, apple, chocolate, or vanilla.
MIX-INS: This bread pudding offers so many options for customization.
Try adding a cup of raisins, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks to dress up your dessert.
How To Make This Bread Pudding Recipe
Let’s walk through layering the bread in the dish and soaking it with the egg mixture before baking.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
STEP TWO: Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces with a serrated bread knife for just the right size in this recipe.
STEP THREE: Place bread cubes evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
STEP FOUR: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, both sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract until all ingredients are well incorporated.
STEP FIVE: Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Allow this to sit for about ten minutes so that the bread can soak up the egg and milk mixture.
If any pieces of bread haven’t soaked up the mixture, just press them down into the liquid on the bottom of the pan to make sure they are coated.
STEP SIX: After the bread mixture has set for ten minutes, drizzle the four tablespoons of melted butter on top of the soaked bread cubes.
STEP SEVEN: Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your bread pudding as the suggested baking time approaches.
STEP EIGHT: While the bread pudding is baking, in a medium saucepan, combine the light brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter to make your caramel sauce.
Heat this mixture over medium heat.
STEP NINE: Whisking intermittently, cook the caramel mixture for five to six minutes.
STEP TEN: Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and whisk in half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
STEP ELEVEN: Pour the caramel sauce over the bread pudding immediately after removing the pudding from the oven. Serve while warm.
How To Serve
This perfect bread pudding is so yummy served on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side if you’d like to make it extra decadent.
Add a cup of coffee or a yummy homemade pumpkin spice latte.
If you enjoy this delicious dish, you’ll love our gooey caramel monkey bread.
Also, once you’ve mastered this recipe, be sure to try our banana bread pudding.
Here’s your guide to making the most out of this delightful dessert:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning to get ahead of the game, this bread pudding can be made in advance!
Simply prepare the recipe as directed, allow it to cool to room temperature, and then cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Pop it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. This is perfect for those times when you want to save time but still serve up a freshly baked treat.
IN THE FRIDGE: Be sure to store any leftover bread pudding in a sealed container in the fridge to avoid it getting moldy. Store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
IN THE FREEZER: For longer storage, you can freeze bread pudding for up to three months. Wrap it tightly in plastic and place it in a freezer bag.
When ready to enjoy, place it in the fridge to thaw.
Why We Love This Recipe
COMFORT IN EVERY BITE: This bread pudding, with its soft, custardy interior and caramelized top, embodies the essence of comfort food.
PERFECT FLAVOR BALANCE: The blend of sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg creates a harmonious symphony of sweet and spiced flavors, making this dessert a true delight for your taste buds.
EASY TO MAKE: Even if you’re new to baking, this recipe is approachable and straightforward. With clear step-by-step instructions and helpful tips, it’s perfect for novice cooks looking to impress with a homemade dessert.
This simple bread pudding recipe is bursting with flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon. The gooey homemade caramel sauce on the top is a delicious final touch. It’s the perfect holiday dessert, evoking feelings of tradition and comfort.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Any stale or day-old bread works, from regular white bread to croissants, in this easy bread pudding recipe.
The bread pudding will keep well-wrapped in the freezer for up to two months.
Bread pudding is best served warm but would also be delicious cold.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Butter Monkey Bread
- Carrot Bread
- Coffee Cake
- Instant Pot French Toast
- Donut Sandwich
- Banana Pudding Pie
- 4 cups French or Italian bread, stale is best
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 dish by spraying with nonstick spray.
- Spread the cubed bread evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, both sugars, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes.
- After the bread mixture has set for 10 minutes, drizzle the 4 tablespoons of melted butter on top of the soaked bread cubes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the bread pudding is baking, in a medium sized saucepan, combine the light brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter to make your caramel sauce. Heat this mixture over medium heat.
- Whisking intermittently, cook the caramel mixture for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and whisk in the ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the bread pudding, immediately after removing the pudding from the oven. Serve while warm.
- If the only bread you have is fresh but you really want to make this recipe, then bake 250°F for 10 minutes on a sheet after cubing. This will help dry it out so it can soak up more custard.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces with a serrated bread knife for just the right size for this recipe.
- If any pieces of bread haven’t soaked up the mixture, just press them down into the liquid on the bottom of the pan to make sure they are coated.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your bread pudding as the suggested baking time approaches.
Even More Easy Recipes
- Chessman Banana Pudding
- French Toast Casserole
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake Bars
- Banana Pudding
- Root Beer Popsicles
- Dog Birthday Cake
- Applesauce Cake
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Roll Cake
- Lemon Custard Pie