October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This sweet and fluffy cupcake in a mug is the newest dessert taking center stage in the one-cup universe. This delicious single-serve sensation is made with just a few simple ingredients and is ready in mere minutes, so get ready to indulge your sweet tooth!
Cupcake In A Mug Ingredients
Cupcake in a mug takes the love for cupcakes to a whole new level by giving you the freedom to whip up a delicious treat in a matter of minutes.
The fluffy and moist cake with a rich and creamy frosting is a heavenly combination that melts in your mouth.
It’s a perfect treat for those who are short on time but still want something sweet and satisfying.
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of colorful sprinkles (divided 1½ tablespoons for the cake and ½ tablespoon for garnish)
- ¼ cup of premade whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 drops of red food color gel (optional)
Substitutions And Additions
WHIPPED TOPPING: You can substitute whipped topping for the frosting on this sweet treat.
TOPPINGS: Add chocolate chips to this delicious treat for an extra fun chocolatey twist.
FROSTING: You can customize the flavor of the frosting on top of your small cake.
Try chocolate frosting or add flavored extract to the vanilla frosting for a fun twist.
VANILLA EXTRACT: While vanilla extract is a classic choice, you can experiment with different extracts to customize your cupcake.
Almond extract can lend a subtle nutty flavor, while peppermint extract will give it a refreshing twist.
NUTS: Chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, or almonds can add a delightful crunch and nutty flavor.
Simply fold them into the batter before microwaving for a tasty addition.
FRUIT: Fresh or frozen berries, like raspberries or blueberries, can be gently folded into the batter to create a fruity burst of flavor.
If you prefer tropical notes, consider diced pineapple or mango.
How To Make This Cupcake in a Mug Recipe
The best part of making this mug cake recipe is that it all comes together right in the mug, meaning no dishes! Follow our directions below to mix together the ingredients before heating it up in the microwave and digging in.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
STEP ONE: Add the flour and granulated sugar to a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug. Whisk to combine.
Using a wider and shorter cup works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
STEP TWO: Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the mug to combine thoroughly.
STEP THREE: Fold in the sprinkles.
STEP FOUR: Microwave the cupcake in a mug for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Depending on your microwave, you may need to add an extra 5 seconds.
Allow the cake to rest for 20 to 30 seconds.
Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
STEP FIVE: Add the premade frosting to a small bowl. Add one to two drops of red food coloring gel.
Stir well until the color is uniform. Spoon the tinted frosting into either a disposable piping bag or a quart-size ziplock bag with a corner snipped off.
Evenly squeeze the frosting over the top center of the cake. Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles over the frosting.
How To Serve
This funfetti mug cake is a seriously decadent dessert cake that is sure to satisfy your cupcake cravings.
Add a scoop of ice cream on top for even more decadence.
Fresh berries or sliced bananas can also be a great added touch, bringing a natural sweetness and a pop of color treat.
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This easy dessert does not reheat well and is meant to be enjoyed immediately, so we don’t recommend storing leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
Why We Love This Recipe
QUICK AND CONVENIENT: This recipe is perfect for those moments when you’re craving a homemade dessert but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. It takes just a few minutes to mix the ingredients and a short time in the microwave.
SINGLE SERVING: Sometimes, you want a sweet treat without making a whole batch of cupcakes. With this recipe, you can satisfy your sweet tooth with a single serving that’s perfectly portioned.
ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES: Whether you’re in the mood for different chips, extracts, or flavorings, this recipe offers endless flavor possibilities.
For those who love the fluffy texture and decadent flavor of a classic cupcake but don’t want to go to all the trouble of baking one – this cupcake in a mug is for you! The easy and delicious cupcakes can be made in minutes using just a microwave oven.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This decadent dessert does not reheat well, and we don’t recommend storing it in the fridge or freezer for any length of time.
A 12-ounce microwave-safe mug is just the right size for this great recipe.
The cook time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, but we find a cooking time of somewhere between 90 to 95 seconds is about right for your single-serving cake. Keep an eye on your cake near the end of cooking, and watch for the center to be just set. Don’t overcook it, or you will end up with a dry cake.
While we haven’t tried it, we think this fluffy cake recipe would be just as delicious using oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate Delight
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites
- Vanilla Trifle
- Chocolate Gravy
- Cool Whip Frosting
- Funfetti Dip
Cupcake in a Mug
- 5 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons colorful sprinkles, divided 1½ tablespoons for the cake and ½ tablespoon for garnish
- ¼ cup premade whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 drops red food color gel, optional
- Add the flour and granulated sugar to a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the mug to combine thoroughly.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds (depending on your microwave, you may need to add an extra 5 seconds). Allow the cake to rest for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the premade frosting to a small bowl. Add 1 to 2 drops of red food coloring gel. Stir well until the color is uniform. Spoon the tinted frosting into either a disposable piping bag or a quart-size ziplock bag with a corner snipped off. Evenly squeeze the frosting over the top center of the cake. Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles over the frosting.
- Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
- Using a wider and shorter cup works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
- Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cajun Cake
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug
- Brownie in a Mug
- Pancake in a Mug
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Oreo Mug Cake