September 26, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Ingredients For Chocolate Cake Mix Mug Cake
- Cake In A Mug With Cake Mix Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make A Mug Cake With Cake Mix
- How To Serve Cake In A Mug
- Cake Mix Mug Cake Storage
- Why We Love This Recipe
- This Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Is The Easiest Dessert To Make!
- Cake In A Mug Recipe FAQs
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
This mug cake with cake mix is just about the easiest dessert you can make, and you’ll have a sweet treat that’s ready in minutes. Our version is made with Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix, which gives it a rich, decadent flavor, and is topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Ingredients For Chocolate Cake Mix Mug Cake
This mug cake is a quick and indulgent dessert with a deep chocolate taste.
Plenty of semi-sweet chocolate chips create gooey, melty bursts of sweetness, while whipped topping and chocolate sprinkles add creamy contrast.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of chocolate cake mix (your choice of chocolate cake mix. I used Devil’s food cake mix)
- 4 tablespoons of milk (I used whole milk, or you can use water)
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whipped topping (optional topping)
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate sprinkles (optional garnish)
The leftover cake mix can be separated into 7 snack-size Ziploc bags so that you can make more individual cakes the next time you have a craving.
Cake In A Mug With Cake Mix Substitutions And Additions
CAKE MIX: You can substitute any flavor of cake mix for the chocolate cake mix, as well as the sprinkles.
Try vanilla cake mix, strawberry cake mix, carrot cake mix, or spice cake mix for a few different flavors.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You can substitute dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet chocolate chips in this cake mix mug cake recipe.
CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES: Get creative with your garnish by swapping chocolate sprinkles for colorful sprinkles or crushed cookies for a playful touch.
How To Make A Mug Cake With Cake Mix
It’s so simple to make this individual-sized cake, with all the ingredients coming together in a single mug and being baked in the microwave.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Double this simple recipe to share the rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
STEP ONE: Lightly spray a 14-ounce coffee mug with nonstick cooking spray.
Using a wider and shorter cup for this works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
STEP TWO: Add the chocolate cake mix, milk, and vegetable oil. Stir (or whisk) the cake batter together, paying close attention to the bottom edges inside the mug.
STEP THREE: Stir in the chocolate chips.
STEP FOUR: Microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds.
We found that 1 minute 30 seconds was the perfect amount of time for our cake, but it will depend on how thick your mug is.
Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
STEP FIVE: Allow the cake to rest for 2½ to 3 minutes before garnishing the top of the cake with a dollop of whipped topping.
Sprinkle the top of the mug cake with chocolate sprinkles if you wish.
How To Serve Cake In A Mug
The best part of this delicious cake is that you can make an individual portion to satisfy your cake cravings with only a handful of simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, or sliced bananas make for a refreshing accompaniment.
Add a handful of chopped nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, on top of your mug cake for a satisfying crunch
Cake Mix Mug Cake Storage
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This easy mug cake recipe is meant to be eaten when made; it does not reheat well.
Why We Love This Recipe
INDIVIDUAL PORTIONS: Mug cakes are perfect for when you want a single-serving dessert without the hassle of baking a whole cake.
INSTANT COMFORT: There’s something incredibly comforting about a warm, freshly made mug cake. It offers a delightful and comforting dessert experience whenever you need it.
SPEEDY SWEET CRAVINGS: This recipe is a lifesaver when you’re hit by a sudden dessert craving. With minimal prep and a few minutes in the microwave, you can satisfy your sweet tooth in a flash.
This Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Is The Easiest Dessert To Make!
This single-serving dessert can be made in the microwave in just a few minutes, and it’s super easy to customize according to your taste. Plus, there are an endless variety of flavors to choose from, so you will never get bored of cake mix mug cake.
Cake In A Mug Recipe FAQs
This decadent dessert does not reheat well, and we don’t recommend trying to store it in the fridge or freezer for any length of time.
A 14-ounce microwave-safe mug is just the right size for this great recipe.
The cooking time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, but we find somewhere between 80 to 90 seconds is about right. Keep an eye on your cake near the end of cooking and watch for the center to be just set. Don’t overcook it, or you will end up with a dry cake.
Mug cakes can turn out rubbery either because it has been overcooked or too much baking powder was added.
Mug cakes are meant to be very moist and gooey on the inside.
If your mug cake did not turn out light and fluffy, it is likely because it was over-mixed. Only mix the ingredients until they are just combined for the fluffiest cake.
Mug cakes may not turn out as you expect for a variety of reasons. It could be that it was over or undercooked. The batter may have been mixed too much, or the ingredients are not in the right proportion.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Chocolate Poke Cake
- Hershey’s Chocolate Cake
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Christmas Red Velvet Poke Cake
- Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug
- Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
- Nutella Mug Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Campfire Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Twinkie Cake
- Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe
- Better Then Sex Cake
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Coffee Cake in a Mug
- Pancake in a Mug
- Strawberry Shortcake Brownies
- Cupcake in a Mug
- Funnel Cake
- Tiramisu Cake
- Strawberry Punch Bowl Cake
- Rhubarb and Strawberry Cake
- Carnival Cruise Line Lava Cake
- Cajun Cake
Cake in a Mug Recipe
- ¼ cup chocolate cake mix, your choice of chocolate cake mix. I used Devil’s food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons chocolate cake mix
- 4 tablespoons milk, I used whole milk or you can use water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whipped topping, optional topping
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles, optional garnish
- Lightly spray a 14-ounce coffee mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add in the chocolate cake mix, milk and vegetable oil. Stir (or whisk) the mixture together, paying close attention to bottom edges inside the mug.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds. I found that 1 minute 30 seconds was the perfect amount of time for my cake, but it will depend on how thick your mug is.
- Allow the cake to rest for 2½ to 3 minutes before garnishing the top of the cake with a dollop of whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles if you wish.
- The leftover cake mix can be separated into seven snack-size Ziploc bags so that you can make more individual cakes the next time you have a craving.
- Double this simple recipe to share the rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
- Using a wider and shorter cup for this works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
- Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.