Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
If you used to enjoy eating Hostess Ding Dongs as a child, you’ll love this giant Ding Dong cake recipe. This easy-to-make chocolate Ding Dong cake has devil’s food cake layers, a vanilla cream filling and a coating of rich chocolate ganache. It’s a chocoholic’s dream!
DING DONG CAKE INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 box of Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 3.4 oz package of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- ½ cup of warm water
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
FOR THE CREAM FILLING
- 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of butter
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of heavy whipping cream
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CHOCOLATE PUDDING MIX – As an alternative to a packet of pudding mix, you can make your own with ¾ cup of dry milk powder, ½ cup of sugar, ¼ cup of corn starch and ⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS – For an extra-chocolatey cake, add an extra cup of chocolate chips into the cake batter
HOW TO MAKE A DING DONG CAKE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with circles of parchment paper. Spray the inside of the pans with cooking oil.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, warm water, and vegetable oil. Mix together until combined and then pour into the cake pans.
STEP THREE: Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the cake, if it comes out clean, it’s done. Do not to open the oven door until the cake is done cooking. This will prevent the cake from falling in the middle.
STEP FOUR: Let the cake cool for 30 minutes before removing it from the pans. Set aside until completely cooled.
THE CREAM FILLING:
STEP ONE: Slowly whisk the milk and flour in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. When the mixture begins to thicken and forms lumps, remove from the heat and whisk for another one or two minutes. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Set aside until completely cool.
STEP TWO: Place the butter and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium-high for three to four minutes, or until light and fluffy.
STEP THREE: Slowly add the cooled milk and flour mixture to the bowl of the stand mixer, one tablespoon at a time. Mix again until the filling is light and fluffy. (Make sure that your milk and flour mixture is cooled to room temperature before adding it to the butter and sugar mixture. If it’s too warm it will melt the butter and result in a runny filling that won’t set properly.)
STEP FOUR: Spread the cream filling over the bottom of one cake. Wipe the sides with a knife to make sure the filling is flat with the side of the cake. Place the second cake on top of the cream filling, bottom side down. Place in the refrigerator.
THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
STEP ONE: Place the whipping cream and chocolate chips into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds and then stir. Repeat twice more for a total of 60 seconds of heating.
STEP TWO: Use a hand mixer to mix the cream and chocolate until it’s dark brown in color. Leave to cool on the counter for 15-20 minutes.
STEP THREE: Remove the cake from the refrigerator and slowly pour the ganache filling over the top of the cake, letting the ganache run down the sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
IN THE FRIDGE: Ding Dong cake will keep in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container.
IN THE FREEZER: Ding dong cake can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. You can wrap individual slices in plastic wrap to make it easier to defrost only what you need.
This copycat Hostess Ding Dong cake is as tasty as the chocolate Ding Dong snacks, but much more impressive to serve to your party guests! Using cake mix and pudding mix is easier than making everything from scratch, yet you can definitely still call this a homemade cake. The cake serves ten to twelve, so make sure you have people to share it with. It’s so moreish you might be tempted to eat it all!
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
DING DONG CAKE
- 1 box Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3.4 ounce package of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Cream Filling Ingredients
- 5 tbsp all purpose flout
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
Chocolate Ganche Ingredients
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut 2 circles the same size as the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan out of parchment paper. Place each circle of parchment paper on the bottom of 2 nonstick 9-inch cake pans, then spray the bottom and sides of pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Devil’s Food Cake Mix, instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, ½ cup warm water, and ½ cup vegetable oil. Mix together until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly and pour into 9-inch cake pans, directly over the parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 28-31 minutes, making sure not to open the oven door until the cake is done cooking. This will prevent the cake from falling in the middle. The cake is done baking when a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on the counter in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Once cake is cooled, flip over (out of the pan) onto a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Continue cooling the bottom of the cake until completely cooled.
CREAM FILLING DIRECTIONS:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat combine milk and 5 tbsp flour. Whisk together until no lumps remain. Allow mixture to thicken over medium-low heat, whisking slowly the entire time.
- As soon as the mixture thickens and starts to form lumps remove it from the heat and continue to whisk together for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Let mixture completely cool down on the countertop before moving on to the next step.
- Once the mixture is cooled add butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium high for 3-4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Slowly add the cooled milk and flour mixture to the mixing bowl, 1 tbsp at a time. Once all of the milk and flour mixture has been added run the mixer until the filling is light and fluffy.
- Spread cream filling over the bottom of one round 9-in cooled cake. Wipe the sides with a knife to make sure the filling is flat with the side of the cake.
- Place the second 9-inch cooled cake on top of the cream filling, bottom side down. Refrigerate while making the ganache mixture.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE DIRECTIONS:
- In a medium mixing bowl combine heavy whipping cream and semi sweet chocolate chips. Microwave for 20 seconds, remove from the microwave and stir together. Repeat two additional times for a total of 60 seconds heat time. Using a hand mixer, mix the heavy cream and chocolate until it is dark brown in color. Let cool on the counter for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and slowly pour the ganache filling over the top of the cake, letting the ganache run down the sides.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.