Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Cherry Dr Pepper Cake is an incredibly moist chocolate cake with a creamy cherry icing. This yummy cake is super easy to make, with just six ingredients.
You might be surprised to see Dr Pepper in the ingredients of a cake, but this popular soda actually features in several of our recipes! Take a look at our Dr Pepper brownies and this awesome slow cooker Dr Pepper pulled pork.
ingredients for CHERRY DR PEPPER CAKE
You will need:
- 1 box of Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups of Dr Pepper Cherry
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries, 10 ounces
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened
- 3 cups of powdered sugar, plus 1/2 cup extra if needed
- 1/4 cup of chocolate shavings
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Dr Pepper Cherry: Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper would also work well for this cake.
Chocolate Shavings: There’s no need for store-bought chocolate shavings. It’s easy to make your own with a block of chocolate and a vegetable peeler.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHERRY DR PEPPER CAKE RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with baking spray.
STEP TWO: Take 15 cherries from the jar, remove the stems, and slice into quarters. Leave the remaining cherries and the liquid in the jar as you’ll need these later.
STEP THREE: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer on a low setting, combine the dry cake mix and the cherry Dr Pepper. Stir in the sliced cherries.
PRO TIP: The cake mix box will say to add eggs, water, milk or oil. We don’t need to do that as we’re using Dr Pepper instead.
STEP FOUR: Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Check to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick, it should come out clean.
STEP SIX: Set the cake aside and allow it to cool completely.
STEP SEVEN: Next make the frosting. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer on a medium setting, cream together the butter and the juice from the jar of cherries.
STEP EIGHT: Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the three cups of powdered sugar, half a cup at a time.
PRO TIP: The frosting should be firm, like canned frosting. If it’s too thin, add a little more powdered sugar. Don’t make it so thick that it won’t spread.
STEP NINE: Using a spatula, spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake.
STEP TEN: Gently score the cake where you plan to slice it. Add a whole cherry, complete with stem, to the middle of each piece of cake.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have enough cherries, remove the stems, slice in half, and place a half cherry onto each piece instead.
STEP ELEVEN: If using store bought chocolate shavings sprinkle the shavings evenly over the top of the frosting. Or using a vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar, gently scrape down the sides of the chocolate to make the shavings.
STEP TWELVE: Put the cake into the refrigerator for at least half an hour to chill before serving.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cherry Dr Pepper cake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze cherry Dr Pepper cake for up to three months. Place it in the freezer while still in the baking dish for one to two hours to set the frosting. You can then transfer it to an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
This chocolate Cherry Dr Pepper dump cake is so easy to make because it uses a box of cake mix rather than lots of separate ingredients. It’s a fantastic cake to slice up and bring to a potluck, or you could even serve it as a birthday cake for someone special.
more recipes you’ll love
Cherry Dr Pepper Cake
- 1 box Devil's Food chocolate cake mix dry
- 1 1/2 cup Dr. Pepper cherry
- 10 oz maraschio cherries remove the stems from 15 of the cherries
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 3 cup powdered sugar plus 1/2 cup extra if needed
- 1/4 cup chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with baking spray (Baker’s Joy or Wilton’s Bake-Ease)
- Remove the cherries from the jar, reserving the liquid in the jar to be used in making the cherry frosting . Remove the stems of 15 of the cherries, slice in half, then slice the halves in half again. Keep the remainder of the cherries in the jar with the stems on to garnish the tops of the frosted pieces of cake.
- Using a stand mixer, or a handheld mixer and a large mixing bowl, add the dry cake mix and the cherry Dr. Pepper. Mix on low until the dry cake mix and Dr. Pepper are just combined.TIP: No water/milk, eggs, or oil will be used in this recipe.
- Using a large spoon, stir in the sliced cherries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Set the cake aside and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Using a stand mixer, or a handheld mixer and large mixing bowl, on medium speed. Cream together softened butter and reserved cherry juice, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the 3 cups of powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. This should be a firm frosting consistency, like canned frosting. If the frosting is thin, add up to 1/2 cup additional powdered sugar. Be careful to not make the frosting very thick that it will not spread easily.
- Spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake.
- Next, gently score the size of the serving pieces of cake.
- Place one of the reserved cherries with stems in the middle of each piece of cake. If the amount of stemmed cherries is less than the number of servings, remove the cherry stems and slice them in half and garnish the tops of the pieces of cake.
- To help the frosting set before cutting the individual pieces, place the cake in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- If using store bought chocolate shavings sprinkle the shavings evenly over the top of the frosting. Or using a vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar, gently scrape down the sides of the chocolate to make the shavings.