October 27, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Anytime the whim strikes, bake up this delightful and easy vanilla cake recipe for a treat. Soft and simple, it is a perfect little dessert packed with rich vanilla flavor to satisfy a craving.
Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe Ingredients
Who doesn’t love the rich, sweet taste of a freshly baked vanilla cake? And the best part? With this easy vanilla cake recipe, you can whip up a delectable dessert in no time.
The moist, fluffy texture and delicate vanilla flavor are sure to leave your taste buds happy.
For The Cake:
- 1½ cups of cake flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of whole milk
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract
For The Frosting (optional):
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
Substitutions And Additions
CAKE FLOUR: We highly recommend using the cake flour in this recipe.
If you cannot find cake flour, you can substitute one cup of cake flour with one cup, less two tablespoons of all-purpose flour, plus two tablespoons of cornstarch.
SOUR CREAM: Instead of sour cream, you can use a half cup of buttermilk in this homemade vanilla cake recipe.
TOPPING: Vanilla frosting, chocolate frosting, powdered sugar, or cinnamon sugar all work on top of this simple vanilla snack cake recipe.
And, of course, everything’s better with rainbow sprinkles.
How To Make This Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe
These easy, step-by-step directions will walk you through whipping up the simple cake batter along with the sweet frosting to make this cake in a flash.
For The Cake
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Set dry ingredients aside.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
It is very important that you do not over mix or aggressively mix the flour in; otherwise, the cake will be very dense.
STEP TWO: Using a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, milk, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
STEP THREE: Gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, folding just until the flour is incorporated.
STEP FOUR: Pour the vanilla cake batter into the prepared 8×8 square baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake in the preheated oven for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cake at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
STEP FIVE: Cool the cake completely before frosting the top of the cake.
For The Frosting (optional)
This moist cake can also be eaten without any frosting. It is also perfect with fruit or just by itself, warm and right out of the oven. You can also use canned frosting.
STEP ONE: Using a medium bowl and an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream together the butter and vanilla for 1 to 1½ minutes.
STEP TWO: Lower the hand mixer to low speed and add the powdered sugar and milk. Increase the speed to medium speed.
Mix for another 1½ to 2 minutes or until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
STEP THREE: Use a rubber spatula or an offset spatula to spread the creamy vanilla buttercream frosting evenly.
How To Serve This Vanilla Snack Cake
You don’t need a special occasion to make the best vanilla cake recipe around. Serve after lunch or dinner or for an afternoon snack.
If you want to be extra indulgent, drizzle hot fudge on top.
Storing This Easy Moist Cake Recipe
Here are some tips on how to properly store your cake:
MAKE AHEAD: After baking and allowing the cake to cool completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to prevent any air from reaching the cake’s surface.
You can store it at room temperature for up to two days. For longer storage, consider freezing the cake.
ON THE COUNTER: If you do not wish to frost this classic vanilla cake, you can store any leftovers covered at room temperature for two days.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any frosted leftovers of this moist vanilla cake in the refrigerator for up to four days.
IN THE FREEZER: The unfrosted cake can also be frozen. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil for three months.
Allow the cake to come to room temperature before frosting and cutting.
Why We Love This Recipe
CLASSIC FLAVOR: Vanilla cake is a timeless classic that suits any occasion. It serves as a blank canvas for various fillings, frostings, and decorations.
SIMPLE TO MAKE: The step-by-step instructions and readily available ingredients ensure a stress-free baking experience.
DELIGHTFULLY MOIST: The combination of butter and buttermilk in the recipe results in a moist crumb that’s both flavorful and satisfying.
Moist and rich, this one-layer easy vanilla cake recipe is the perfect dessert to whip up anytime you want something sweet. Cut into mini squares for just the right serving size.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can double this easy cake recipe and stack two of the cakes together with a layer of frosting between and on top. Voilà, you have a simple layered cake.
A snack cake is a small, single-layer cake, usually finished with a simple glaze or frosting. They are generally less involved than a layer cake yet are perfect for a small gathering, an easy dessert, or just for a snack anytime.
This cake can be decorated any way you like. Top with frosting or a dusting of powdered sugar. Add sprinkles, or if you want to dress it up, you can pipe on more elaborate decorations.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Heaven on Earth Cake
- Butter Cake
- American Flag Cake
- Lemon Buttercream
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Roll Bread
Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray, set it aside.
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside.
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, milk, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, folding just until the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before frosting.
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, and a handheld mixer on medium-high speed, cream together the butter and vanilla for 1 to 1½ minutes.
- Lower the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar and milk. Increase the mixer speed to medium. Mix for another 1½ to 2 minutes, or until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Use a silicone spatula or an offset spatula to spread the frosting evenly.
- It is very important that you do not over-mix or aggressively mix the flour in; otherwise, the cake will be very dense.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cake at the lower end of the recommended baking time.