June 9, 2023Review Recipe
Best Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Need To Make Vanilla Cupcakes
- Best Cupcake Recipe Substitutions
- How To Make The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- How To Serve Vanilla Cupcakes
- How To Decorate A Vanilla Cupcake
- Storing Vanilla Pudding Cupcakes
- Incredibly Moist Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
The secret to these soft and fluffy vanilla cupcakes is the creamy combination of cake mix, sour cream, and instant vanilla pudding. Plus, they are topped with a thick, easy, 3-ingredient vanilla frosting that makes them taste like they are straight from the bakery.
What You’ll Need To Make Vanilla Cupcakes
For The Cupcakes:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 (3.5-ounce) box of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup of sour cream
For The Frosting:
- 1½ cups of room temperature butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- food coloring and sprinkles (optional)
Best Cupcake Recipe Substitutions
SOUR CREAM: In place of the sour cream in these homemade vanilla cupcakes, you could substitute Greek yogurt.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES: It would be easy to make a chocolate version of these moist cupcakes. Replace the white cake mix and vanilla pudding with the chocolate equivalent of both.
CAKE MIX: In place of the white cake in this easy recipe, you could also use vanilla cake mix for added vanilla flavor.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE BUTTERMILK? If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own. To make 1 cup of buttermilk substitute, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Fill it to the 1-cup line with milk, and then stir.
How To Make The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
STEP ONE: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and the vanilla pudding.
STEP TWO: In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, milk, and sour cream.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to keep your batter an even consistency.
STEP THREE: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
STEP FOUR: Divide the cupcake batter among 24 cupcake liners in your cupcake pan. Fill each cupcake liner halfway with the batter.
Using an ice cream scoop is a great way to measure your cupcake batter into the paper liners and the easiest way to minimize the mess.
STEP FIVE: Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. While they are cooling, make the frosting.
STEP SIX: In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or using a hand mixer, combine the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
STEP SEVEN: Turn on low speed and mix until all the powdered sugar is incorporated into the butter. If you want to add color to the frosting, add a few drops of your chosen color.
STEP EIGHT: Turn on high and whip for 30 seconds until the frosting is light and fluffy.
STEP NINE: Frost the cooled cupcakes and top them with sprinkles if desired.
If you want a bakery perfect swirl of frosting on top, use a pastry bag or fill a Ziploc bag with frosting, snip the corner off, and use it as a piping bag, going in little circles to create a swirled design.
How To Serve Vanilla Cupcakes
Serve these classic vanilla cupcakes as a sweet treat for dessert or at a party. Add festive sprinkles to match any occasion. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
If you’d like to serve a tray of amazing cupcake flavors, these recipes for cherry cupcakes, Pepsi cupcakes, and Boston cream cupcakes are perfect.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES
How To Decorate A Vanilla Cupcake
The best way to decorate your cupcakes is to pipe frosting on top. Once your frosting is made, you can add it to a piping bag fitted with a decorator’s tip. Then you can get creative by piping swirls onto your cupcake.
Storing Vanilla Pudding Cupcakes
IN THE FRIDGE: Because of the butter in the frosting, these homemade cupcakes are best stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze frosted cupcakes for up to three months. They are best stored each in their own container so that the frosting doesn’t get squashed. For the best results, freeze the cupcakes without the frosting and frost them when you are ready to serve.
Incredibly Moist Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe
Just a few simple ingredients—like instant pudding and sour cream—are enough to transfer a regular white cake box mix into truly scrumptious and moist vanilla cupcakes. The homemade frosting makes this easy vanilla cupcake recipe extra yummy too!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few reasons why cupcakes come out dense or crumbly. First, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature. They will not incorporate properly if they are not all at the same temperature.
Over-mixing the batter can also cause dense cupcakes. Third, opening the oven door before the cupcakes are ready can cause them to sink due to the rush of cold air.
These easy vanilla cupcakes are best served the day they are made but can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freezing cupcakes is best done before adding the frosting, and they can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To ensure your cupcakes are moist, make sure not to overbake them. Storing them in an airtight container will also ensure they maintain their moisture.
The secret to moist cupcakes is creating air bubbles in your batter that expand in the oven. Once the ingredients are mixed together, stop the mixer. If you overmix your batter, you will collapse those bubbles and end up with dense cupcakes.
You can make cupcakes up to 2 days ahead of time and store them in an airtight container on the counter. Wait to frost them until the day you plan to serve them.
This cupcake batter can also be used to bake a cake. You will have to adjust the baking time for the cake, but otherwise, there is no difference between making cupcakes and making a cake.
Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Banana Pudding Pie
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Oreo Pie
- Icebox Cake
- Cool Whip Pie
- Vanilla Cool Whip Pie
- Funfetti Dip
- Vanilla Brownies
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream
- Cool Whip Frosting
- Vanilla Snack Cake
- Chocolate Easter Eggs (Coconut Cream)
- Vanilla Crazy Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
The Best Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3.5 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cups butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake mix and vanilla pudding.
- In a separate bowl mix together eggs, oil, milk and sour cream.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Divide batter among 24 cupcake liners. Fill each cupcake liner half way with batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Turn on low and mix until all the powdered sugar is mixed into the butter. Turn on high and whip for 30 seconds until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes, and top with sprinkles.
- To change the color of the frosting, simply add a drop or two of food coloring to a bowl of frosting and stir to combine.
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to keep your batter an even consistency.
- Using an ice cream scoop is a great way to measure your cupcake batter into the paper liners and the easiest way to minimize the mess.
- If you want a bakery perfect swirl of frosting on top, use a pastry bag or fill a Ziploc bag with frosting, snip the corner off, and use it as a piping bag, going in little circles to create a swirled design.
Diana R says
Hello! Could you substitute the vegetable oil with melted unsalted butter?
Layne Kangas says
Hi, Diana – that would probably work fine. Enjoy!
I LOVE this recipe! So moist and flavourful! I’ve tried many recipes for a good go to vanilla cupcake, and my husband said this is the best so far!
Load More Comments