April 30, 2023Review Recipe
Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake
Table of Contents
Crockpot chocolate caramel cake is an unbelievably easy recipe that is gooey, chocolatey, and scrumptious. Made from layers of homemade chocolate cake filled with chocolate chips and topped with creamy Dulce De Leche, this rich cake is a chocolate lover’s dream!
Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake Ingredients
- 1½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of milk, 2%
- ⅔ cup of vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1 can of Dulce De Leche, 300 milliliters
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream, 33%
Substitutions And Additions
HEAVY CREAM: You can combine milk and butter for this hot fudge cake if you don’t have any heavy cream on hand. Use ¼ cup of melted butter with ¾ cup of milk to make 1 cup of heavy cream. Add a tablespoon of flour if you’d prefer it to be thicker.
GRANULATED SUGAR: Use brown sugar to substitute for white sugar. You can use a 1:1 ratio since this is a darker, more caramel-like dessert.
DULCE DE LECHE: To make your own Dulce De Leche, buy a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Remove the label, then place the UNOPENED can in a tall stockpot (you can do 3 or 4 cans at a time if you want). Cover with water to about 2 inches above the can. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 to 3½ hours. Let the can cool before opening.
ICE CREAM: Ice cream goes so well with this recipe! Put a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream on top of your decadent cake!
How To Make This Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake Recipe
STEP ONE: Spray the slow cooker insert of a 4-quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can buy slow-cooker bags to eliminate the mess in the slow cooker liner and make the cleanup super easy!
STEP TWO: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
STEP THREE: Pour in the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract into the dry ingredients, then stir well into the mix.
STEP FOUR: Stir in all of the chocolate chips.
STEP FIVE: Pour the finished mixture into the prepared crockpot.
STEP SIX: In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the Dulce De Leche and heavy cream together in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until it’s well combined
STEP SEVEN: Pour the Dulce De Leche mixture over the top of the cake batter. DO NOT stir it into the cake batter – leave this sitting on the top.
STEP EIGHT: Cover the crockpot with a lid and cook on high for 3 hours or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and it comes out clean.
STEP NINE: Serve this cake hot or warm.
Drizzle some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate chips over the cake if you want to overload on chocolate! Add toffee bits for extra caramel flavor.
How To Serve
This amazingly moist chocolate cake is best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip. If you want to add even more chocolatey goodness, serve it with a mug of whipped hot chocolate to wash it down.
Got the urge to try more chocolate recipes? Try our chocolate dump cake and Hershey’s chocolate cake.
MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this delicious dessert in an airtight food storage container for 3 to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We recommend eating this cake as fresh as possible. It won’t freeze well.
This rich and delicious crockpot chocolate caramel cake is a chocolate lover’s dream and one of the best desserts around! Serve warm for a super moist, chocolatey, caramel cake with a delicately crisp edge. Pour all the ingredients into your slow cooker, and a few hours later, you’ve got a gorgeous, moist cake topped with a decadent caramel sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
This homemade cake is best eaten fresh, and we find it doesn’t freeze very well.
This perfect dessert recipe is best kept fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You are only limited by your imagination for the toppings you could add! Chocolate syrup, chocolate chips, toffee bits, and whipped cream would all be yummy choices.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Better Than Sex Cake
- No Bake Eclair Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Crockpot Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
- Carnival Cruise Line Lava Cake
- Crockpot Applesauce
Crockpot Chocolate Caramel Cake
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, 2%
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 can Dulce De Leche, 300 milliliters
- ⅓ cup heavy cream, 33%
- Spray a 4-quart crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract, then stir well to mix.
- Stir in all chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into the prepared crockpot.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat Dulce De Leche and heavy cream together in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir well to combine.
- Pour Dulce De leche mixture over the cake batter. DO NOT stir into cake batter, leave this sitting on the top of the batter.
- Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve cake hot or warm
- To make your own Dulce de Leche take a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Remove the label. Place the UNOPENED can in a tall stock pot (you can do 3 or 4 cans at a time). Cover with water to about 2 inches above the can. Cover the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Simmer for 3 to 3½ hours. Let the can cool before opening.
- The recipe calls for 300 milliliters which is 10.14 ounces. I removed 2 tablespoons from the can of homemade and then used that 2 tablespoons for topping on the cake, and it worked out great!
- You can buy slow-cooker bags to eliminate the mess in the slow cooker liner and make the cleanup super easy!
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate chips over the cake if you want to overload on chocolate! Add toffee bits for extra caramel flavor.
Layne Henderson says
This is a favorite for us!
You had me at slow cooker and sold me with caramel! LOL Pinned 🙂 Thank for sharing the recipe with us at the Talk Of The Town party!
My husband really likes this!
Can this be reheated? And if so…how? I would LOVE to do this for our church luncheon but want it to be warm.
Layne Kangas says
I would suggest making it before the luncheon and leaving it on warm until everyone is serving themselves. Enjoy!
Yummy, gooey, and easy!
I’m not much of a baker, so this looks right up my alley! Question – I feel like sea salt would be so yummy to add. Any tips on how to incorporate sea salt to the recipe?
Layne Kangas says
Hi, Heidi – there is some salt in the recipe already. You could put a few flakes of sea salt on top before serving if you’d like. Enjoy!
Debbie C Long says
Sounds Wonderful !!!!
Okay, this is happening soon! Yummy!
Karen Hall says
I’m definitely going to try this. 😋