November 27, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
You’ll love the dense, moist texture and intense flavor of this peanut butter cake in a mug. It’s the perfect solution when a sweet craving strikes and the possibilities are endless for topping this easy dessert to make it even more decadent.
Peanut Butter Cake In A Mug Ingredients
This mug cake combines the nutty flavors of peanut butter with the fluffy texture of the cake.
It only takes a few minutes in the microwave, and you can indulge in a warm and delicious snack that is perfect for any time of day.
- 4 tablespoons of self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter (+ 1 tablespoon for optional garnish)
- 3 tablespoons of whole milk
- 3 tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
Substitutions And Additions
PEANUT BUTTER: You can substitute crunchy peanut butter for the creamy in this mug cake.
FLOUR: You can substitute four tablespoons of all-purpose flour and ¼ teaspoon of baking powder for the self-rising flour.
BUTTER: You can substitute vegetable oil for melted butter in this simple cake.
CHOCOLATE: Either mixed in or added on top, chocolate chips or peanut butter chips make this mug cake recipe even more decadent.
TOPPINGS: There are plenty of ways to customize your tasty cake.
SUGAR: To reduce the sugar content, you can use a sugar substitute like stevia or erythritol.
Keep in mind that these alternatives may have a slightly different sweetness level, so adjust the amount to your taste.
For a more natural option, consider using honey or maple syrup as a replacement, adding their unique flavors to the cake.
MILK: Whether you’re lactose intolerant or prefer a different type of milk, you can easily swap out regular milk for almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
These alternatives will give your cake a slightly different flavor profile, making it suitable for various dietary preferences.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Experiment with different extracts to change the flavor. Try almond extract for a nuttier twist or coconut extract for a tropical touch.
SPICES: Experiment with different spices to elevate the taste. A pinch of nutmeg or a dash of cinnamon can bring warm, aromatic notes to your peanut butter cake.
How To Make This Peanut Butter Cake In A Mug Recipe
This is one of the easiest ways to make a cake! You only need a mug to mix up and enjoy this treat. Our step-by-step instructions below will walk you through making your mug cake.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
STEP ONE: Add the flour and granulated sugar to a 14-ounce microwave-safe mug. Stir to combine.
Using a wider and shorter cup works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
STEP TWO: Add the peanut butter, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate completely.
STEP THREE: Microwave cake for 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds. The time needed to cook the cake will vary depending on your microwave.
Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
STEP FOUR: Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before serving. While the cake is cooling, you can dollop one tablespoon of peanut butter on top of the cake.
The heat from the cake will melt the peanut butter. You can gently spread the peanut butter over the top of the cake to completely cover the surface.
How To Serve This Mug Peanut Butter Cake
It’s perfectly fine to enjoy this delicious peanut butter treat on its own, but you could also turn it into an even more indulgent dessert.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream to satisfy your sweet tooth.
When To Serve
DESSERT IN A PINCH: Serve this peanut butter mug cake when you have an unexpected dessert craving or need a sweet treat after a long day.
LATE-NIGHT SNACK: It’s the perfect late-night snack when you’re watching a movie or working late.
AFTER-SCHOOL SNACK: Kids love the simplicity of mug cakes. Whip this up as an after-school snack for your little ones to enjoy with a glass of milk.
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This easy peanut butter mug cake does not reheat well, so we don’t recommend trying to store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
Why We Love This Recipe
QUICK AND EASY: This recipe comes together in just a few minutes, making it perfect for those moments when you’re craving a sweet treat.
MINIMAL CLEANUP: Since it’s made in a single mug, you don’t have to worry about a pile of dishes to wash afterward.
WARM AND GOOEY: The cake turns out warm and gooey, with a rich peanut butter flavor that’s incredibly satisfying.
In just minutes and a few simple ingredients, you’ll have this amazing peanut butter cake in a mug to enjoy. Who would have thought it would be so easy to whip up a delicious piece of cake without spending loads of time in the kitchen?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This decadent treat does not reheat well, and we don’t recommend trying to store it in the fridge or freezer for any length of time.
A 14-ounce microwave-safe mug is just the right size for this easy treat
While we haven’t tried this, we think it would be delicious to use cashew butter or almond butter to make this perfect treat.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Disneyland Peanut Butter Squares
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Dessert
- Peanut Butter Ritz Crackers Dipped in White Chocolate
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Homemade Nutter Butters
- Peanut Butter Monkey Bread
- Air Fryer Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour,
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter, optional garnish
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the flour and granulated sugar to a 14-ounce microwave-safe mug. Stir to combine.
- Add the peanut butter, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate completely.
- Cook in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds (the time needed to cook the cake will vary depending on your microwave).
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before serving. While the cake is cooling, you can dollop 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on top of the cake. The heat from the cake will melt the peanut butter. You can gently spread the peanut butter over the top of the cake to completely cover the surface.
- Double the recipe to share this rich cake with a friend. Microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one.
- Using a wider and shorter cup works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake.
- Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
Mug Cake Recipes
- Pineapple Cake
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Chocolate Poke Cake
- Cherry Dr Pepper Cake
- Hershey’s Chocolate Cake
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Lunch Box Cake
- Campfire Chocolate Cake
- Butter Cake
- Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- Punch Bowl Cake
- Kentucky Butter Cake
- Banana Cake
- Neapolitan Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake
- Bumpy Cake