September 29, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
These delicious cookie peanut butter cups are an easy, homemade recipe you’ll fall in love with. They are a combination of soft peanut butter cookies, a delightfully gooey center, and a dash of nostalgia.
Peanut Butter Cookie Cups Ingredients
This peanut butter cup cookie recipe offers a delightful fusion of rich peanut butter and sweet chocolate.
The cookie dough, made with brown and granulated sugar, peanut butter, shortening, and butter, yields a chewy texture.
The addition of mini peanut butter cups nestled within each cookie provides bursts of chocolatey sweetness and gooey peanut butter.
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- ¼ cup of shortening
- ¼ cup of butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 24 mini peanut butter cups
Substitutions And Additions
PEANUT BUTTER: I think the best peanut butter for this sweet treat is the thick and creamy kind.
Although I’m generally a fan of natural peanut butter, that is not the best product for these Reese’s cookies. You want the kind of peanut butter that does not separate.
PEANUT BUTTER CUPS: You could substitute the miniature peanut butter cups for other candies such as Hershey’s Kisses.
You can also get white chocolate peanut butter cups that would be a delightful spin on these.
BROWN SUGAR: Feel free to experiment with different types of sugars here.
You can use coconut sugar for a slightly less sweet flavor, or try using half brown sugar and half maple syrup for a delightful maple undertone in your cookie cups.
How To Make These Peanut Butter Cookie Cups Recipe
Follow our step-by-step instructions for making the peanut butter cookie dough, shaping the cups, and filling them with peanut butter cup goodness.
STEP ONE: Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat brown and white sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter, and egg in a large bowl.
STEP TWO: Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium-sized bowl.
STEP THREE: Turn the electric mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture. Mix until combined and dough is formed.
STEP FOUR: Cover peanut butter cookie dough and chill dough for about two hours or until firm.
STEP FIVE: Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP SIX: Roll the peanut butter dough into balls about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. That equals about one tablespoons worth.
You can use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to help scoop the right quantity of dough for each ball.
STEP SEVEN: Place each of the cookie dough balls into the mini muffin tin.
STEP EIGHT: Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until light golden brown. While the cookies are baking, unwrap mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your cookie cups as the suggested baking time approaches.
STEP NINE: Press an unwrapped peanut butter cup into the center of each warm cookie.
Cool and remove from muffin tin and place cookies on a wire cooling rack.
Let the cookies cool completely in the pan or they may break when removing them.
How To Serve
Serve this perfect treat with a cold glass of milk or whipped hot chocolate. These would also be tasty as part of a bigger dessert.
Add a couple of cookies to a bowl and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra decadent option.
Set up a cookie cup sundae bar for your friends featuring various toppings like hot fudge, caramel sauce, chopped nuts, and whipped cream. Let everyone build their dream sundae around a cookie cup base.
Reese peanut butter cookie cups have all that and more. Delicious!
Here are some tips on how to keep these delectable treats fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’d like to prepare these cookie cups in advance, you can make the cookie dough and shape it into cups ahead of time.
Store the cookie dough cups, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to two days.
When you’re ready to bake, simply remove them from the fridge, let them sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then bake as directed in the recipe.
ON THE COUNTER: Store these easy peanut butter cup cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Place in a single layer to keep the peanut butter cups from melting onto each other.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store these homemade cookies in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
IN THE FREEZER: This great cookie also freezes for up to three months.
Why We Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons to love these cookie cups, including:
IRRESISTIBLE FLAVOR COMBO: The rich, nutty taste of peanut butter paired with the sweet, gooey goodness of mini peanut butter cups creates an irresistibly delicious flavor combination that’s hard to resist.
SOFT AND CHEWY TEXTURE: These cookie cups boast a soft and chewy texture that’s incredibly satisfying to bite into. The blend of ingredients ensures they’re perfectly tender with just the right amount of bite.
A decadent mini Reese’s peanut butter cup in the center of each of these cookie peanut butter cups creates the ultimate cookie. The outer coating of chocolate melts into the cookie in the best way! Perfect for all peanut butter lovers and chocolate fans.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy recipe would work with either creamy or crunchy peanut butter in the cookie dough.
This great recipe freezes well for up to three months.
Hershey’s Kisses are just the right size in this recipe as a substitute for peanut butter cups.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Buckeye Brownie Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Reese’s Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Ball
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Pie
- Chocolate Easter Eggs (Peanut Butter)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Buckeye Brownies
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- No-Churn Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Dessert
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Banana Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
- Nutter Butter Dessert
- Turtle Dessert
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
Cookie Peanut Butter Cups
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter or margarine softened
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 24 mini peanut butter cups
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat brown and white sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in a large bowl.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture. Mix until combined and dough is formed.
- Cover peanut butter cookie dough and chill dough for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll the dough into balls about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. That equals about one tablespoons worth.
- Place each cookie dough ball into the mini muffin tin.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until light golden brown. While the cookies are baking , unwrap mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Press mini peanut butter cups into the center of each warm cookie. Cool and remove from muffin tin and place cookies on a wire cooling rack.
- You can use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to help scoop the right quantity of dough for each ball.
- Let the cookies cool completely in the pan or they may break when removing them.