Last updated on
Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My
Lazy Cooking Bundle
Do you love these original chocolate chip cookies and still feel the urge to bake with more chocolate? Then why not try these Chocolate Peanut Butter Ritz Cookies? Or go in a different direction from cookies and try some homemade Chocolate Fudge? Our Ooey Gooey Cookies are just oozing chocolate!
TOLL HOUSE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Nuts: If you don’t like (or can’t eat) nuts, then just leave them out. You can always add a little more semisweet chocolate chips or even different colored chocolate if you like.
Brown Sugar: You can use dark brown sugar if that’s what you have. It doesn’t change the taste too much but may make the cookies look a little darker once cooked.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TOLL HOUSE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set dry ingredients aside.
STEP TWO: Using a stand mixer, or medium to large mixing bowl and an electric mixer, cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
PRO TIP: Make sure your ingredients are room temperature so that your batter comes out with the right consistency.
STEP THREE: Add the egg and mix until no yellow streaks are visible.
STEP FOUR: Lower the mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour mixture, mixing only until the flour is well incorporated.
STEP FIVE: Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts making sure the nuts and chocolate chips are evenly spread through the dough.
STEP SIX: Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
STEP SEVEN: Before removing the cookie dough from the refrigerator, preheat oven to 325°F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
STEP EIGHT: Remove the dough from the fridge, and scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons.
PRO TIP: You can use your hands to roll the dough into balls, but a cookie dough scoop will keep your hands clean and help to form the balls into a uniform size.
STEP NINE: Roll the dough into balls, before placing the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
STEP TEN: Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for at least 1-2 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve these perfect chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk or our iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea on the side to wash them down. These cookies are a yummy afternoon snack!
IN THE CUPBOARD: Once the Toll House chocolate chip cookies have cooled, you can store them in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Don’t pop them in the fridge as they might get too hard.
IN THE FREEZER: You can store the uncooked dough in the freezer for up to 3 months in airtight containers or freezer bags. For best results, thaw it out in the fridge so that it is defrosted but not too warm then continue the process. If you are unsure if the dough is cold enough, pop it back in the fridge for an hour.
Once you start making this original Nestlé Toll house cookie dough recipe and creating those delicious cookies, you’ll have a true classic recipe that everyone loves. Homemade cookies are the best chocolate chip cookies, especially when fresh. So you often don’t need to worry about storing this popular cookie!
You can freeze both the baked cookies and unbaked dough for up to three months.
We recommend either walnuts or pecans but any type of nut that you love would be perfect for this recipe. Macadamia nuts or almonds would be especially delicious.
Chocolate chips were originally called morsels and you can still find that name on the packages of the Toll House chips. Either will work fine in this recipe.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a standmixer, or a medium to large mixing bowl and an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix until no yellow streaks are visible.
- Lower the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture, mixing only until the flour is well incorporated.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and the nuts making sure the nuts and chocolate chips are evenly spread through the dough.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Before removing the cookie dough from the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls before placing the dough 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for at least 1 to 2 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.