May 30, 2023Review Recipe
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Table of Contents
This Hawaiian macaroni salad recipe has been passed down from generation to generation, and now it’s our turn to share it with the world. Simple ingredients combine to create this fun tropical salad loaded with tender noodles and veggies smothered in a creamy dressing.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Ingredients
For The Macaroni Salad:
- 16 ounces of elbow macaroni, cooked to al dente according to box directions, drained
- ½ cup of finely grated carrots
- ¼ cup of grated sweet yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper
For The Dressing:
- 2½ cup of mayonnaise
- ½ cup of whole milk
- 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
Any mayonnaise will work in this great recipe, I chose the lighter Kraft Mayo, but some swear by Dukes.
Substitutions And Additions
MIX-INS: You can add diced ham, finely diced celery, green onions, juicy pineapple, or even green peas to your authentic Hawaiian mac salad.
PASTA: You can use any short pasta noodles such as rotini, fusilli, or cavatappi in place of the macaroni noodles in this incredible salad.
How To Make This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Follow the directions on the macaroni package for the cooking time of the pasta. You’ll want it to be al dente and not too soft.
STEP ONE: While the cooked, drained macaroni noodles are still hot, add the warm pasta, grated carrots, grated sweet onion, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Gently stir to incorporate the salad completely. Cover the mixing bowl and let the mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
STEP TWO: Using a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, and sugar until smooth.
STEP THREE: Gently fold the dressing into the macaroni salad. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours up to overnight. Before serving, gently stir the macaroni salad.
Just before serving, if the macaroni salad is a bit stiff, you can stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk.
How To Serve This Simple Macaroni Salad
This Hawaiian-style macaroni salad would be the perfect side dish to bring to a potluck. Add our cucumber salad or potato salad for another great addition to the menu. This salad would be tasty any time of year, whether for a summer barbecue or holiday gathering.
Pasta salad recipes are the way to go when feeding a crowd. Check out our dill pickle pasta salad and Caprese pasta salad that you can whip up in a flash.
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES
Storing This Hawaiian Salad Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this creamy mac salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We would not recommend freezing this Hawaiian pasta salad.
Add a little bit of tropical flavors of the Hawaiian islands to your pasta salad with this authentic Hawaiian macaroni salad. With a handful of ingredients and a tangy dressing, you’ll have a creamy side dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
This simple recipe needs to chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours up to overnight, so it is a great make-ahead recipe that you can prepare the day before.
This creamy macaroni salad would be yummy with any short type of pasta, such as rotini, fusilli, or cavatappi.
This delicious recipe won’t freeze as the dressing will separate, and the noodles will get soggy. We recommend making it fresh.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Glazed Carrots
- Crack Potatoes
- Creamed Corn
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Pea Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Loaded Pasta Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Classic Coleslaw
- Egg Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Big Mac Salad
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked according to box directions, drained
- ½ cup carrots, finely grated
- ¼ cup sweet yellow onion, grated
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- While the cooked, drained macaroni is still hot, add the cooked macaroni, grated carrots, grated onion, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir to completely incorporate the salad. Cover the mixing bowl and let the mixture sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk and sugar until smooth.
- Gently fold the dressing into the macaroni salad. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight. Before serving, gently stir the macaroni salad.
- Any mayonnaise will work in this great recipe, I chose the lighter Kraft Mayo, but some swear by Dukes.
- Follow the directions on the macaroni package for the cooking time of the pasta. You’ll want it to be al dente and not too soft.
- Just before serving, if the macaroni salad is a bit stiff, you can stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk.
I had this once in Hawaii at a party and it was so good. I’m excited to make it at home.