Last updated on
Table of Contents
A twist on the delicious flavor of deviled eggs, this egg pasta salad contains everything a cold salad should. The tender pasta, crisp vegetables, and a creamy deviled egg dressing give you the perfect combination of flavors for a salad that is out of this world.
Pasta salad is a perfect side dish in summer or winter. There are infinite ways to create a tasty pasta salad. For more make-ahead pasta salads, check out our favorite easy recipes, including dill pickle pasta salad, BLT pasta salad, taco pasta salad and Italian pasta salad. For other egg recipes, try our deviled eggs and egg salad.
EGG PASTA SALAD INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled (check out our perfect hard-boiled eggs recipe)
- ¾ cup of dry ditalini pasta (will make 3 cups cooked), cooked al dente, drained
- 1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon of smoked paprika, divided into ½ and ¼ teaspoons
- ½ cup of finely diced red onion
- 1 medium stalk (½ cup) diced celery
- 1 small thin sliced green onions (optional garnish)
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Pasta: Any small pasta can be substituted for the ditalini (small tubes), such as rotini, small shells, small elbow macaroni and small penne. Since rotini is a bit larger, you may need to increase the “dressing” by half.
Mayonnaise: You can substitute the mayonnaise with Miracle Whip for a little bit of a zing. You can also replace the yellow mustard with dijon or spicy brown mustard.
Add-Ins: You can add sliced olives, bell pepper, diced dill pickles or sweet pickle relish to this easy pasta salad. Dill or other similar fresh herbs can also be added to give the salad a tangy flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EGG PASTA SALAD RECIPE
PRO TIP: To make it easy to peel your hard boiled eggs, transfer them directly from the boiling water to a bowl of ice water. This will cause the eggs to shrink in the shell. When they are cooled, tap the shell all the way around and remove the peel.
STEP ONE: Using a cutting board, slice the hard-boiled egg long ways, removing the egg yolks. Place the separate yolks in a medium-sized mixing bowl, and leave the egg whites on the cutting board.
STEP TWO: Using a fork, begin to mash the egg yolks until they are fine bits, almost powdery.
PRO TIP: For even smoother egg yolks, place yolks in a metal strainer over a bowl and push the yolks through into the bowl. This will ensure that the eggs are the consistency that you want.
STEP THREE: Add the mayonnaise and yellow mustard to the mashed egg yolks. Vigorously whisk the mashed yolks, mayo, and mustard until the mixture is smooth.
STEP FOUR: Whisk in the teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of paprika. Set the bowl aside.
STEP FIVE: Slice the egg whites into small cubes, and set them aside.
STEP SIX: Add the cooked ditalini, egg whites, chopped onion, and diced celery. Using a wooden spoon, stir to completely combine.
PRO TIP: Cook pasta according to package directions. After you strain the cooked pasta, rinse it well with cold water. This will stop the cooking process and prevent it from sticking together.
STEP SEVEN: Transfer the deviled egg pasta salad to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the ¼ teaspoon paprika and serve immediately. You can make this about 30 minutes to an hour ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the longer the time before serving is, the pasta will absorb the mayo mixture and may not be as creamy as when freshly made.
PRO TIP: Letting this classic macaroni salad with egg chill for 30 minutes to an hour before serving will allow all the flavors to mingle together.
HOW TO SERVE
Deviled egg pasta salad is delicious alongside beer marinated grilled chicken, grilled tilapia, Oklahoma fried onion burgers or Dr. Pepper pulled pork. Add grilled corn on the cob and our iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea to drink, and you’re all set. This would also be a fantastic salad to take to your summer gatherings alongside our potato salad, classic macaroni salad recipe, or other delicious side dish recipes.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight, but it will not be as creamy as when freshly made.
IN THE FREEZER: We do not recommend freezing this deviled egg macaroni salad.
My family devours deviled eggs at an alarming rate, and this pasta and egg salad would be a perfect choice. Mixing that classic flavor with tasty cooked pasta is a match made in heaven. Boil a batch of fresh eggs today, toss in a few simple ingredients, and you have the ideal side dish for your weekend barbecue.
Adding a bit of salt or white vinegar to the water will help prevent the eggs from cracking while cooking.
This creamy pasta salad is best served right away. You can serve it the next day, but the dressing may not be quite as creamy.
Once your eggs are finished cooking, place eggs directly into an ice bath. The eggs will shrink in the shell, making it easier to peel them.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Egg Pasta Salad
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs peeled (check out our perfect hard-boiled eggs recipe)
- ¾ cup dry ditalini pasta will make 3 cups cooked, cooked al dente, drained
- 1 ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika divided into ½ and ¼ teaspoons
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- 1 medium stalk of celery diced (½ cup)
- 1 small green onion thin sliced, optional garnish
- Using a cutting board slice the hard boiled egg long ways, removing the egg yolks. Place the yolks in a medium-sized mixing bowl and leave the egg whites on the cutting board.
- Using a fork, begin to mash the egg yolks until they are fine bits, almost powdery.
- Add the mayonnaise and yellow mustard to the mashed egg yolks. Vigorously whisk the mashed yolks, mayo, and mustard until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the kosher salt and ½ teaspoon paprika. Set the bowl aside.
- Slice the egg whites into small cubes and set them aside.
- Add the cooked ditalini, egg whites, diced red onion and diced celery. Using a wooden spoon, stir to completely combine.
- Transfer the deviled egg pasta salad to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon paprika and serve immediately. PRO TIP: You can make this about 30 minutes to an hour ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the longer the time before serving is, the pasta will absorb the mayo mixture and may not be as creamy as when freshly made.