May 16, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This delicious chicken salad is the perfect filling for a classic sandwich. Tender chicken, crunchy celery, and onions are mixed with a creamy mayonnaise dressing to create the ultimate lunch offering.
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 2½ cups of cooked chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- ⅔ cup of mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup of finely diced celery
- ¼ cup of finely diced sweet yellow onion
- ¼ cup plus 1½ tablespoons of thinly sliced green onions (divided into ¼ cup for the salad and 1½ tablespoons for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper
Substitutions And Additions
CHICKEN: You could opt to use a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts for this simple recipe. It’s completely up to you if you prefer dark meat or white meat for your chicken salad.
BREAD: Serve this classic chicken salad on a buttery croissant or fresh bread for a yummy sandwich.
MIX-INS: There are so many ways to customize this simple chicken salad. Add dried cranberries, diced seedless red grapes, sliced almonds, curry powder, or even a little Dijon mustard.
DILL: If you have fresh dill available, you could use it instead of dried dill in this easy chicken salad recipe.
How To Make This Chicken Salad Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Making this recipe and letting it sit in the fridge overnight before enjoying it allows all of the flavors to blend together, resulting in an even better flavor.
STEP ONE: Using a large bowl, stir together the diced chicken breast, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced yellow onion, ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion, dill, kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
STEP TWO: Serve immediately, garnished with 1½ tablespoons green onions, or keep refrigerated until ready to serve
STEP THREE: If you are serving as a sandwich, use ½ cup per sandwich.
Serve your chicken salad on delicious fresh bread, a croissant, or even on a bed of lettuce.
How To Serve
Serve your homemade chicken salad sandwich with a side of salty potato chips or Caesar salad. Instead of bread, you could choose to enjoy this chicken salad on a bed of lettuce instead. It’s perfect for easy lunches or for a light dinner.
If you like this great recipe, our egg salad sandwich and tuna melt are both fantastic alternatives.
MORE SALAD RECIPES
Storing Homemade Chicken Salad
IN THE FRIDGE: If you have any leftover chicken salad, store it in an airtight container for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing chicken salad as the mayonnaise will separate when thawed.
This is the best chicken salad recipe around. Tender pieces of chicken in a creamy dressing, plus crunchy veggies all combine to give this so much flavor. Enjoy it on bread or lettuce for a filling lunch.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy recipe can be made a day or two in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
This classic recipe will last 3 to 5 days in the fridge once made.
Chicken salad does not freeze well, so it is best to make it fresh.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Ranch Potato Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- BTL Pasta Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Potato Chip Chicken Tenders
- Tuna Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Tomato Sandwich
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Big Mac Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- 5 Cup Salad
- 2½ cups chicken breast, diced and cooked
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup celery, finely diced
- ¼ cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion, plus 1½ tablespoons (divided into ¼ cup for the salad and 1½ tablespoons for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, fresh cracked
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together the diced chicken breast, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced yellow onion, ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion, dill, kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately, garnished with 1½ tablespoons of green onions, or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- If you are serving as a sandwich, use ½ cup per sandwich.
- Making this recipe and letting it sit in the fridge overnight before enjoying it allows all of the flavors to blend together resulting in an even better flavor.
- Serve your chicken salad on delicious fresh bread, a croissant, or even on a bed of lettuce.
What an amazing, delicious recipe – we love this for lunch!