October 23, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Pumpkin fans can celebrate the fall season with this velvety pumpkin pudding that features real pumpkin, sweet silky vanilla pudding, and whipped cream. It’s a simple yet delicious treat to welcome the changing seasons.
Pumpkin Pudding Ingredients
This pumpkin pudding offers a delightful blend of flavors and textures. It combines the essence of pumpkin puree with the creamy sweetness of evaporated milk and instant vanilla pudding mix.
The addition of pumpkin pie spice adds a warm, spicy note, and whipped topping provides a light, sweet contrast.
- 1 (15-ounce) can of pumpkin puree
- 1 (12-ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (+ ½ teaspoon for garnish)
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix
- Whipped topping (optional garnish)
Make sure you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling at the grocery store.
Substitutions And Additions
MILK: For a dairy-free option, you could opt for rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or another nut milk for your pumpkin pie pudding.
SPICES: If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own quick blend with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice.
You could also opt to modify the spice you are using and mix and match a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with one of the other spices.
PUMPKIN PUREE: If you don’t have canned pumpkin puree on hand, you can use homemade pumpkin puree.
Simply roast and puree your own pumpkin, and it’ll work beautifully in this recipe.
You can also try butternut squash puree as a pumpkin alternative for a slightly different flavor.
INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING MIX: For a change, you can experiment with other instant pudding flavors like butterscotch or cheesecake to create a different dessert experience.
NUTS: To add a delightful crunch, toss in some chopped pecans or walnuts to the pudding mixture. They’ll provide a wonderful texture contrast and a nutty flavor that pairs wonderfully with pumpkin.
RAISINS OR DRIED CRANBERRIES: For a fruity twist, consider adding raisins or dried cranberries to the pudding. They’ll infuse the dessert with a pleasant chewiness and a hint of sweetness.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: To satisfy your chocolate cravings, sprinkle in some mini chocolate chips for a chocolate pumpkin fusion.
How To Make This Pumpkin Pudding Recipe
Let’s walk through making this simple pudding recipe. Everything comes together in a mixing bowl before you divide it up into individual servings.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can make this spiced pumpkin pudding recipe the night before and let it chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
This dessert can easily be doubled if you are serving it at a potluck meal. Serve it in a large bowl that will allow everyone to scoop the quantity they prefer. Or you can bring along individual plastic cups so everyone has their own serving.
STEP ONE: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low, beat together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and pumpkin spice until well combined.
STEP TWO: Sprinkle the two packages of instant pudding mix over the pumpkin mixture and continue mixing on low until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
STEP THREE: Evenly divide a half cup of the pudding mixture into six dessert cups or parfait glasses.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
STEP FOUR: Uncover the dessert cups, spoon two to three tablespoons of whipped topping on top of the pudding cups, and evenly sprinkle a light dusting of the reserved pumpkin spice over the whipped topping.
If you want a larger serving per person, you will get three 1 cup servings per batch of this pudding.
You can serve the pudding in a medium-sized serving bowl instead of the individual dessert cups. Top with the whipped topping and a little bit of the pumpkin spice.
How To Serve
If you are a pumpkin lover and you think that the more pumpkin treats, the better, serve your pumpkin spice pudding with a homemade pumpkin spice latte for plenty of pumpkin overload.
Create a layered dessert masterpiece by alternately spooning pumpkin pudding and crumbled gingersnap cookies into parfait glasses.
Top it off with a generous amount of whipped cream and a garnish of crushed pecans.
Storing This Pumpkin Pie Pudding Recipe
Let’s talk about how to store the pudding to keep that cozy fall flavor intact.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning ahead for a special occasion or simply want to save time, you can prepare the pumpkin pudding a day or two in advance.
Follow the recipe as usual, then cover the individual servings or the entire dish with plastic wrap or an airtight container.
Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. Keep in mind that the longer it sits, the more the flavors meld, enhancing the dessert’s taste.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this creamy pudding tightly covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can keep pumpkin pudding in the freezer for up to three months. Keep in mind that the texture may change slightly once thawed.
Give it a good stir before serving.
Why We Love This Recipe
AUTUMN BLISS: This recipe captures the quintessential flavors of fall, with the rich, earthy taste of pumpkin and the warm spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
CREAMY INDULGENCE: The combination of pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and instant vanilla pudding mix results in a velvety and creamy pudding that’s both comforting and indulgent.
EASY TO MAKE: With step-by-step instructions and readily available ingredients, this recipe is incredibly easy to follow, even for novice cooks. It’s a hassle-free way to whip up a dessert that looks and tastes impressive without the stress.
Our homemade pumpkin pudding recipe is made with only five simple ingredients, including deliciously warm spices and real pumpkin puree. It’s the perfect way to add a cozy treat to your dessert rotation.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s a good idea to let this homemade pudding recipe chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Wait to add the whipped topping and pumpkin spice until serving time.
If you prefer to use homemade pumpkin puree instead of store-bought, you certainly can.
It’s best to use pumpkin puree, but if you wish to use pumpkin pie filling, we would recommend adding less pumpkin pie spice or omitting it completely.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Jello Cookies
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Banana Pudding Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Roll Cookies
- Pumpkin Bars
- Coconut Cream Dessert
- Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Scones
- Banana Bread Pudding
- Coconut Cookies
- Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
- How to Make Brownie Pie
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, plus ½ teaspoon for garnish
- 6.8 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- whipped topping, optional garnish
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low, beat together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and pumpkin spice until well combined.
- Sprinkle the 2 packages of instant pudding over the pumpkin mixture and continue mixing on low until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Evenly divide ½ cup of the pudding into 6 dessert cups. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Uncover the dessert cups, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of whipped topping on top of the pudding cups and evenly sprinkle a light dusting of the reserved pumpkin spice over the whipped topping. Serve immediately.
- Make sure you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling at the grocery store.
- You can make this spiced pumpkin pudding recipe the night before and let it chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- This dessert can easily be doubled if you are serving it at a potluck meal. Serve it in a large bowl that will allow everyone to scoop the quantity they prefer. Or you can bring along individual plastic cups so everyone has their own serving.
- If you want a larger serving per person, you will get three 1 cup servings per batch of this pudding.
- You can serve the pudding in a medium-sized serving bowl instead of the individual dessert cups. Top with the whipped topping and a little bit of the pumpkin spice.