March 17, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Pumpkin fans can celebrate the fall season with this velvety pumpkin pudding that features real pumpkin, sweet silky vanilla pudding and whipped cream. It’s a simple yet delicious treat to welcome the changing seasons.
PUMPKIN PUDDING INGREDIENTS
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (+ ½ teaspoon for garnish)
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix
- Whipped topping (optional garnish)
Make sure you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling at the grocery store.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
MILK: For a dairy-free option, you could opt for rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or another nut milk for your pumpkin pie pudding.
SPICES: If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own quick blend with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice. You could also opt to modify the spice you are using and mix and match a teaspoon ground cinnamon with one of the other spices.
HOW TO MAKE THIS PUMPKIN PUDDING RECIPE
You can make this spiced pumpkin pudding recipe the night before and let it chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
This dessert can easily be doubled if you are serving it at a potluck meal. Serve it in a large bowl that will allow everyone to scoop the quantity they prefer. Or you can bring along individual plastic cups so everyone has their own serving.
STEP ONE: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low, beat together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk and pumpkin spice until well combined.
STEP TWO: Sprinkle the 2 packages of instant pudding mix over the pumpkin mixture and continue mixing on low until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
STEP THREE: Evenly divide ½ cup of the pudding mixture into 6 dessert cups or parfait glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Uncover the dessert cups, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of whipped topping on top of the pudding cups and evenly sprinkle a light dusting of the reserved pumpkin spice over the whipped topping. Serve immediately.
If you want a larger serving per person, you will get three 1 cup servings per batch of this pudding.
You can serve the pudding in a medium-sized serving bowl instead of the individual dessert cups. Top with the whipped topping and a little bit of the pumpkin spice.
HOW TO SERVE
If you are a pumpkin lover and you think that the more pumpkin treats, the better, serve your pumpkin spice pudding with a homemade pumpkin spice latte for plenty of pumpkin overload. Add this treat to your holiday table of great Thanksgiving desserts along with our pumpkin pie or pumpkin crunch cake.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this creamy pudding tightly covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Our homemade pumpkin pudding recipe is made with only five simple ingredients including deliciously warm spices and real pumpkin puree. It’s the perfect way to add a cozy treat to your dessert rotation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It’s a good idea to let this homemade pudding recipe chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Wait to add the whipped topping and pumpkin spice until serving time.
If you prefer to use homemade pumpkin puree instead of store-bought, you certainly can.
It’s best to use pumpkin puree but if you wish to use pumpkin pie filling, we would recommend adding less pumpkin pie spice or omitting it completely.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice plus ½ teaspoon for garnish
- 6.8 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- whipped topping optional garnish
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low, beat together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk and pumpkin spice until well combined.
- Sprinkle the 2 packages of instant pudding over the pumpkin mixture and continue mixing on low until the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Evenly divide ½ cup of the pudding into 6 dessert cups. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Uncover the dessert cups, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of whipped topping on top of the pudding cups and evenly sprinkle a light dusting of the reserved pumpkin spice over the whipped topping. Serve immediately.