Last updated on
Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My
Lazy Cooking Bundle
Pumpkin Crunch Dessert is a decadent pumpkin cake that’s a perfect alternative to pie. Using canned pumpkin puree and box cake mix makes this an easy dessert that doesn’t lack for flavor. Top it off with pecans, and you have a delicious pumpkin cake with the perfect crunch.
If you’re a pumpkin fan, you have to give these other yummy recipes a go. This Pumpkin Dump Cake is a warm dessert that’s full of pumpkin spiced flavor, and these Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes are one of our all time favorite pumpkin-y treats!
INGREDIENTS FOR PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
You will need:
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup melted butter
- Whipped topping (if desire)
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Pecans: Adding pecans to the top of your pumpkin crunch cake are what give it the “crunch” however, you could leave these out if you prefer. You could also substitute a different nut like crushed walnuts or cashews in place of the pecans.
Cake Mix: You can use any brand of box cake mix for this recipe. I like to stick to yellow cake, but there are other cake flavors that would work just fine. White cake, vanilla, or French vanilla would also taste good.
HOW TO MAKE THIS PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Using a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, combine pumpkin puree, half and half, sugars, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
STEP THREE: Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after adding each egg. Mix until all of the ingredients are well blended.
STEP FOUR: Pour the pumpkin mixture from the bowl into the prepared 9×13 baking dish.
STEP FIVE: Spread dry yellow cake mix over the pumpkin mixture in your baking dish.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle pecans over the top of the dry cake mix, then drizzle melted butter over the pecans.
STEP SEVEN: In the preheated oven, bake the pumpkin crunch cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
STEP EIGHT: Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely before serving.
STEP NINE: Serve with whipped topping, if desired.
IN THE FRIDGE: It’s best to store pumpkin crunch cake in the fridge to keep it moist and fresh. Pumpkin cake will last in the fridge for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze pumpkin cake to keep longer. I like to cut individual pieces and freeze them separately for a single serving later on. Pumpkin crunch cake will last for up to 4 months this way.
Pumpkin crunch cake is a fall dessert that’s the ultimate combo of moist cake mix and crunchy pecans. It satisfies every sweet craving. Best of all, it’s easy to make using box cake mix and canned pumpkin puree. You will love this delicious and unique Autumn dessert.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup melted butter
- whipped topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish.
- Using a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Combine pumpkin puree, half and half, sugars, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg, until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into greased 9×13 greased baking dish.
- Spread dry yellow cake mix over pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle pecans over dry cake mix.
- Drizzle melted butter over pecans.
- In a preheated oven, bake pumpkin crunch cake for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped topping, if desired.