May 26, 2023Review Recipe
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Table of Contents
Pumpkin crunch cake is a decadent pumpkin treat that uses simple ingredients to create a great alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. Top it off with a pecan crunch topping, and you have a perfect pumpkin fall dessert.
If you’re a fan of all things pumpkin, this Pumpkin Dump Cake is a warm dessert that’s full of spiced pumpkin flavor, and these Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes are one of our all-time favorite pumpkin spice treats!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake Ingredients
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups half and half
- ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup melted butter
- whipped topping (optional)
Watch out when you are at the grocery store that you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling.
Substitutions And Additions
PECANS: Adding pecans to the top of your pumpkin crunch cake is what gives it the “crunch” however, you could leave these out if you prefer. You could also substitute a different nut like crushed walnuts or cashews in place of the pecans.
CAKE MIX: You can use any brand of boxed cake mix for this delicious pumpkin crunch cake. I like to stick to the yellow cake, but there are other cake flavors that would work just fine. White cake, vanilla, or French vanilla would also taste good.
How To Make This Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Using a stand mixer or a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine pumpkin puree, half and half, sugars, and pumpkin pie spice.
STEP THREE: Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after adding each egg. Mix until all of the ingredients are well blended.
STEP FOUR: Pour the pumpkin mixture from the bowl into the prepared baking dish.
STEP FIVE: Sprinkle dry cake mix over the pumpkin mixture in your baking dish.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle pecans in an even layer over the top of the dry cake mix, then drizzle melted butter over the pecans.
If you can’t find chopped pecans, you can buy them whole and either chop them with a knife or put them in a Ziploc bag and crush them into smaller pieces with a rolling pin.
STEP SEVEN: In the preheated oven, bake the pumpkin crunch cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
STEP EIGHT: Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely before serving.
STEP NINE: Serve with whipped topping, if desired.
How To Serve
Top this moist pumpkin cake with whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel sauce, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This would be a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table.
MORE CAKE RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: It’s best to store pumpkin pecan crunch cake in the fridge in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap to keep it moist and fresh. Pumpkin cake will last in the fridge for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze this pumpkin cake recipe to keep longer. I like to cut individual pieces and freeze them separately for a single serving later on. Pumpkin crunch cake will last for up to 4 months this way.
Pumpkin crunch cake is a fall dessert that’s the ultimate combo of moist cake mix and crunchy pecans. It satisfies every sweet craving. Best of all, it’s easy to make using box cake mix and canned pumpkin puree. You will love this delicious and flavorful pumpkin dessert.
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy pumpkin crunch cake would be delicious using a spice cake mix instead of yellow cake.
You can leave off the nuts entirely or substitute them for graham cracker pieces or Skor bits for a bit of crunch
If you prefer to use homemade pumpkin puree, you are more than welcome to.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Christmas Crunch
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Bars
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Peach Dump Cake
- Milk Cake
- American Flag Cake
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish.
- Using a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Combine pumpkin puree, half and half, sugars, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg, until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread dry yellow cake mix over pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle pecans over dry cake mix.
- Drizzle melted butter over pecans.
- In a preheated oven, bake pumpkin crunch cake for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Serve with whipped topping, if desired.
- Watch out when you are at the grocery store that you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling.
- If you can’t find chopped pecans, you can buy them whole and either chop them with a knife or put them in a Ziploc bag and crush them into smaller pieces with a rolling pin.
This is delicious!!
Deb Carmicheal says
I have been making this for years, it is a really good dessert/cake.
Excellent!! Easy to make!!
Should I use glass dish or metal pan?
Layne Kangas says
You could use either. We used a metal pan when we did it!