October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Rich and hearty, this extra creamy homemade cauliflower mac and cheese recipe is a simple and quick meal (try our delicious baked mac and cheese, too!). Tender cauliflower florets are mixed with loads of cheese, heavy cream, and seasoning for an awesome twist on traditional mac and cheese.
Cauliflower Mac And Cheese Ingredients
Savor this creamy mac and cheese, where roasted cauliflower’s earthy notes combine with a velvety sauce.
Cheddar and Colby jack cheese create a melty tanginess, while cream cheese adds extra silkiness.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- ½ tablespoon of mustard powder
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 4 ounces of Colby jack, freshly shredded
- 2 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- Freshly chopped parsley
Save yourself the chopping and pick up a bag of prepped cauliflower in your grocery store to cut down on prep time.
Substitutions And Additions
CHEESE: You could use any mix of your favorite cheese for this cheesy cauliflower recipe — get creative and try different varieties to find your favorite combo!
Gruyère is yummy, or you could use creamy goat cheese. A little bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top would be tasty as well.
You could also make a vegan cheese sauce in this recipe as well.
BROCCOLI: You could also add in broccoli florets if you’d like.
FRESH VS FROZEN: I used fresh cauliflower, but you could also use frozen if you’d like. Be aware that frozen cauliflower will change the texture of the recipe a little.
SPICE: If you like spicy food, you could add crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sauce as well for an extra kick.
CREAM CHEESE: Regular or low-fat cream cheese will work fine in this recipe.
GARLIC: I love adding garlic as a base to almost anything I cook.
If you’d like a bit of garlic flavor, add minced garlic or a dash of garlic powder along with the other spices.
How To Make This Cauliflower Mac And Cheese Recipe
Once you roast the cauliflower, you will toss it with the cheesy sauce and serve this unique twist on classic mac & cheese.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you are feeding a crowd, double the recipe, add it to a 9×13 baking dish, top the cooked cauliflower mac and cheese with extra cheese and broil in the oven for a few minutes to melt.
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Chop cauliflower into bite-size pieces and toss with olive oil to evenly coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
STEP THREE: Place the cauliflower pieces on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender.
STEP FOUR: In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together heavy cream, paprika, mustard powder, and the three types of cheese.
Don’t skip the mustard powder, it really creates a delicious flavor.
STEP FIVE: Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted and smooth.
STEP SIX: Add the roasted cauliflower and stir so that the cauliflower is evenly coated in cheese sauce.
STEP SEVEN: Top with freshly cracked black pepper and freshly chopped parsley.
You could also garnish with crispy bacon on top!
How To Serve Cauliflower Macaroni Cheese
This delicious recipe can be served as a main dish or as a yummy side dish. You’ll crave the flavorful, rich sauce and a veggie boost from this ultimate comfort food.
MORE CAULIFLOWER RECIPES
Storing Macaroni Cheese With Cauliflower
If you have any leftovers of this tasty dish, here is how to store it:
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftovers of this creamy mac can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can warm them up the next day for lunch on the stovetop, baked, or in the microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: Store leftover cauliflower mac n cheese in the freezer for up to a month.
The next time you are looking for a tasty meal idea, skip the regular mac and cheese and grab the veggies for this ultimate homemade cauliflower mac and cheese. The creamy cheese sauce is amazing, and it’s a great way to feed even picky eaters on a busy weeknight.
Frequently Asked Questions
This delicious cauliflower mac would be tasty with either fresh or frozen cauliflower, although just be aware that frozen cauliflower may change the texture of the dish slightly.
This is the perfect recipe to double. Make as directed, and then add the cauliflower and sauce into a 9×13 baking dish, sprinkle extra cheese on top, and broil for a few minutes to melt.
It is best to grate your own blocks of cheese rather than buying pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese tends to be coated with a preservative and doesn’t melt as well as freshly grated cheese.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Keto Chili
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Spicy Thai Noodles
- Poor Man’s Steaks
- Pumpkin Spice Mac and Cheese
- Chili Mac
- Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
- Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- Broccoli Slaw
- Recipe for Ham Roast
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon mustard powder
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 4 ounces Colby jack cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Chop the cauliflower into bite-size pieces and toss with olive oil to evenly coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cauliflower pieces on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together the heavy cream, paprika, mustard powder, and three types of cheese.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and stir so that the cauliflower is evenly coated in cheese sauce.
- Top with freshly cracked black pepper and freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve warm.
- Save yourself the chopping and pick up a bag of prepped cauliflower in your grocery store to cut down on prep time.
- If you are feeding a crowd, double the recipe, add it to a 9×13 baking dish, top the cooked cauliflower and cheese with extra cheese and broil in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Don’t skip the mustard powder, it really creates a delicious flavor
- You could also garnish with crispy bacon on top!