Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Tuna lovers – this recipe is for you! You’re going to drool over this homemade tuna sandwich that only takes 10 minutes to make and combines tuna fish with crispy greens. We’ve perfected this tuna salad recipe with all of the ingredients you love; celery, mayo, lettuce, and onion.
ingredients for Tuna Sandwich
You will need:
- 2 6-ounce cans of tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading on the bread
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 cup finely diced green onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 8 large leaves of green or red leaf lettuce
- 8 slices of whole-grain bread
Substitutions and Additions
Mayonnaise: For an egg-free alternative mayo, use a simple olive oil-based dressing. It’ll taste just the same if you use a 1:1 ratio.
Celery: If you don’t have any celery on hand, you can use chopped cucumber or bell peppers.
Lemon Juice: You can add a bit of lemon juice to your tuna salad for a delicious kick.
Pickles: Pickles are a great addition to any tuna salad! Chop them up for the best texture. All pickles are a good idea, but we recommend sweet pickles or dill pickles.
Condiments: Either mustard or relish is a great topping for your tuna sandwich.
Apple: You can use apple slices in your tuna salad! It adds a little more freshness and it’s a unique taste!
How to Make This Tuna Sandwich Recipe
STEP ONE: Mix the tuna, mayonnaise, green onion, and celery together. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
STEP TWO: Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of your bread.
STEP THREE: Divide the tuna mixture between four of the pieces of bread.
PRO TIP: You can make this meal without bread! For a keto/low carb option, spread spoonfuls of the tuna into lettuce leaves. Another alternative to bread is crackers! Spread spoonfuls of tuna onto crackers.
STEP FOUR: Layer the two lettuce leaves on the other four slices of bread, tearing the leaves to fit the bread.
PRO TIP: Additional toppings may be added like pickles, relish, mustard.
STEP FIVE: Assemble the two sides of each sandwich.
STEP SIX: Slice and serve your sandwich to finish!
IN THE FRIDGE: Wrap your sandwiches in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. The tuna mixture can be stored separately for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can store the tuna salad in the freezer for up to 1 week. Use an air-safe food storage container.
Made with a few simple ingredients, this tuna sandwich is the perfect blend of crunchy and creamy. This recipe takes canned tuna to a whole new degree and is comfort food at its finest. We know you’re going to love this delicious sandwich!
more recipes you’ll love
- 12 ounce tuna drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise plus more for spreading on the bread
- 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper or to taste
- 1/8 cup green onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 8 large leaves green lettuce or red leaf lettuce
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Mix together tuna, mayonnaise, green onion, and celery. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of bread.TIP: Serve tuna mixture spooned into lettuce leaves for a keto/low carb option. Tuna mixture can also be spooned or scooped onto crackers.
- Divide tuna mixture between four of the pieces of bread.
- Layer two lettuce leaves on the other four slices of bread, tearing the leaves to fit the bread.TIP: Additional sandwich fixings may include dill pickle slices, sweet pickle relish, and/or mustard.
- Assemble the two sides of each sandwich.
- Slice and serve.