January 23, 2022
Table of Contents
If you love Taco Tuesday, try this easy taco bake. It’s a fun twist on traditional tacos. Soft flour tortillas are layered in a casserole dish with ground beef, seasoning, and plenty of gooey cheese. You’ll be rewarded with a bubbling, cheesy Tex-Mex casserole.
TACO BAKE INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 package taco seasoning mix or homemade taco seasoning
- 10-ounce can Rotel
- 1 can of sliced black olives
- 1 can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
LOW CARB: If you’re eating low-carb or doing keto, you could leave the tortillas out.
MEAT: Any ground meat would work fine in this tasty recipe. Instead of ground beef, you could use ground turkey or ground chicken.
MIX-INS: Add in refried beans, black beans, sliced bell peppers, or green chilis. You could also mix in cream cheese when cooking the ground beef and onions for a creamier meat mixture.
TOPPINGS: Serve topped with shredded lettuce, green onions, diced tomatoes, and tortilla strips.
SPICE: Add a bit of hot sauce or chili powder to kick it up a notch.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TACO BAKE RECIPE
PRO TIP: You can assemble this recipe the day before and then bake before serving.
STEP ONE: Cook ground beef in a large skillet on medium-high heat along with the onions until beef is browned and onions are tender.
Stir in the package of taco seasoning along with the amount of water indicated on the package directions. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
PRO TIP: For an even quicker cooking time, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
STEP TWO: Next add the Rotel, olives, and corn.
STEP THREE: Spray the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish.
Spread half of the beef mixture evenly over the tortillas. Next, sprinkle one cup of cheddar cheese over the meat layer.
STEP FOUR: Then add another layer of tortillas, the rest of the meat mixture on top of the tortillas, and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.
STEP FIVE: Pop in the oven to bake at 350°F until bubbly, which takes about 20 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE
We top our taco casserole with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and our favorite taco toppings — it’s the best! For an even heartier meal, add our Spanish rice on the side. This easy casserole will be a big hit come taco night!
IN THE FRIDGE: Store this taco bake in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: This delicious casserole will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
This cheesy taco bake recipe takes regular tacos and turns them into casserole form. The whole family will gobble up the layers of seasoned meat, veggies, and melty cheese.
You can make this delicious recipe ahead of time as it freezes really well. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you prefer to use corn tortillas, you can substitute them in place of the flour tortillas.
You could replace the Rotel tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes although you may find your recipe is not quite as flavorful as Rotel has added spices and green chili peppers.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 10 -ounce can Rotel not drained
- 2.25 -ounce can sliced black olives
- 15 -ounce can of corn drained
- 4 taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- Place the ground beef in a skillet along with the onions and cook until beef is browned and onions are tender. Stir in the package of taco seasoning along with the amount of water indicated on the package directions. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Next add the Rotel, olives, and corn.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13-inch dish with nonstick spray. Place tortillas on the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the meat mixture evenly over the tortillas. Next, sprinkle one cup of cheese over the meat layer. Then add another layer of tortillas, the rest of the meat on top of the tortillas and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.
- Bake at 350°F until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and other taco toppings as desired