October 12, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Unstuffed cabbage rolls are the simple and fuss-free version of the classic. There’s all that flavor but less work involved since all the delicious ingredients are combined together instead of wrapping everything into rolls.
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Ingredients
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped (core removed)
- 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 398-milliliter can of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 cup of low-sodium beef broth
- 1½ tablespoons of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 cup of Minute Rice, uncooked
Substitutions And Additions
TOMATOES: If you want to make the sauce a bit thicker, replace the tomato sauce with a can of tomato soup.
Or you could use diced tomatoes in place of the can if you have them around.
How To Make This Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
STEP ONE: In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef and drain off excess fat. Once cooked, place in a large saucepan.
You can cook ground beef in bulk ahead of time. Store in the freezer until you are ready to use, and then add to your recipe when called for. This saves some time browning the meat.
STEP TWO: In the same, now empty, frying pan, brown the onions. Add the cooked onions to the ground beef.
STEP THREE: Add the rest of the ingredients to the large pan except the rice. Stir well to mix, then put it on the stovetop bringing it to a boil over high heat.
STEP FOUR: Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Add uncooked rice, then cook with the lid still on for an additional 10 minutes.
STEP SIX: Serve cabbage while it is hot.
How To Serve These Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
If you want to compare, you can make classic cabbage rolls and see the difference.
Or, if you want to go one step further with the idea, you can even make a cabbage roll soup, ideal for those chilly days.
Storing These Unwrapped Cabbage Rolls
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store any leftovers of the unstuffed cabbage roll casserole in the fridge for four to five days.
Make sure you let it cool completely before popping into an airtight container to store.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze, take the cooked casserole and pop it in an airtight container once cooled. You can freeze it for up to three months.
Defrost overnight, then bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
This unstuffed cabbage rolls recipe is a quick and simple version of the classic dish with no rolling or wrapping required. It still has all the flavor of the original recipe but with much less work involved.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can create a vegetarian version by substituting the meat with lentils, mushrooms, or plant-based ground meat for a delicious meatless alternative.
You can use pre-cooked rice. It’ll save you time, and you can add it to the mixture after browning the meat.
You can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the tomato sauce for a spicier kick.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Southern Fried Cabbage
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
- Lasagna Roll Ups
- Cabbage Soup
- Beef and Noodle Casserole
- Unstuffed Pepper Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Spanish Rice
- Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs
- Cream of Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Pasta Casserole
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped (core removed)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 398 milliliters tomato sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup minute rice, uncooked
- In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef and drain off excess fat. Once cooked place in large saucepot.
- In the same, now empty, frying pan brown the onions. Add cooked onions to the ground beef.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the large pot except the rice.
- Stir well to mix then put on stovetop bringing to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice then cook covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- You can cook ground beef in bulk ahead of time. Store in the freezer until you are ready to use, and then add to your recipe when called for. This saves some time browning the meat.