Last updated on
Table of Contents
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls are the simple and fuss-free version of the classic Cabbage Roll recipe. There’s all that taste but less work involved in wrapping everything into rolls. Instead, it is perfect when time is short and creates a delicious dish packed with goodness and flavor.
If you want to compare, you can make classic Cabbage Rolls and see the difference. Or if you want to go one step further with the idea, you can even make a Cabbage Roll Soup, ideal for those chilly days.
UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped (core removed)
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 398 ml can of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1.5 tablespoons paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Tomatoes: If you want to make the sauce a bit thicker, replace the tomato sauce with a can of tomato soup. Or you could use diced tomatoes in place of the can if you have them around.
HOW TO MAKE THIS UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef and drain off excess fat. Once cooked, place in a large saucepan.
STEP TWO: In the same, now empty, frying pan brown the onions. Add cooked onions to the ground beef.
STEP THREE: Add the rest of the ingredients to the large pan except the rice. Stir well to mix then put it on the stovetop bringing to a boil over high heat.
STEP FOUR: Reduce heat to low and cover then simmer for 20 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Add uncooked rice then cook with the lid still on for an additional 10 minutes.
STEP SIX: Serve hot.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store any leftovers of the unstuffed cabbage roll casserole in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Make sure you let it cool completely before popping into an airtight container to store.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze, take the cooked casserole and pop it in an airtight container once cooled. You can freeze it for up to three months. Defrost overnight then bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
This unwrapped cabbage rolls recipe is a quick and simple version of the classic dish with no rolling or wrapping required. It still has all the flavor of the original recipe but with much less work involved.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 small head cabbage chopped (core removed)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 398 ml can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth low sodium
- 1.5 tbsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup minute rice uncooked
- In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef and drain off excess fat. Once cooked place in large saucepot.
- In the same, now empty, frying pan brown the onions. Add cooked onions to the ground beef.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the large pot except the rice.
- Stir well to mix then put on stovetop bringing to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add uncooked rice then cook covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.