January 30, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Chocolate chip shortbread cookies are buttery, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and full of sweet chocolate morsels. Made using only six simple ingredients, kids will love to dip these simple treats into a glass of milk; if you can bear to share them, that is!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies Ingredients
- 10 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- 1½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
UNSALTED BUTTER: Salted butter also works well for this chocolate chip cookie recipe and adds an extra layer of flavor.
CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR: This is also known as icing sugar or powdered sugar. You could use granulated sugar in a pinch for this chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe.
VANILLA AND ALMOND EXTRACT: If you don’t have both, you can use a little more of just one. But, bear in mind that almond extract is twice as potent as vanilla extract, so don’t put too much in.
SEA SALT: A tiny pinch of sea salt flakes on top of each cookie is optional, but will give a lovely salted chocolate taste.
RAISINS: Dried raisins would make a yummy optional addition to this easy cookie recipe.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Any flavor of mini chocolate chips added to this recipe for shortbread chocolate chip cookies would be delicious. Try dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate, or milk chocolate.
How To Make This Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies Recipe
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, add the butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Use a hand mixer to beat on low speed until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until combined.
STEP TWO: Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour and beat on a low setting, stopping to scrape down the bowl as often as needed.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You may need to use your hands to press the dough together to form a solid ball of shortbread. If it seems too flaky, just keep working the dough, and it will come together.
STEP THREE: Add mini chocolate chips and use a large spoon to fold them into the mixture.
STEP FOUR: Use your hands to shape the dough into a rectangular block, making it the same width as you want your cookies to be.
STEP FIVE: Wrap the shortbread dough in a large piece of plastic wrap. Firm up the sides and edges of the dough by pressing it onto the counter. Place the wrapped dough into the refrigerator to chill for two hours.
STEP SIX: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Use a sharp knife to cut ¼ to ½-inch thick rectangular slices from the chocolate chip shortbread cookie dough. Place each slice onto the lined baking sheet.
STEP EIGHT: Bake cookies for 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet in the oven and continue to bake for a further 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cookies are just starting to brown.
Shortbread is meant to be light in color, so be sure to remove the cookies from the oven before they brown.
STEP NINE: Remove the shortbread chocolate chip cookies from the oven and let them cool for two to three minutes on the baking sheet. Then, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
How To Serve
Enjoy a plate of these melt-in-your-mouth chocolate shortbread cookies with a cold glass of milk, a warm cup of coffee, or a creamy mug of homemade hot chocolate.
MORE CHOCOLATE CHIP RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: These delicious cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to ten days, but it’s not necessary to refrigerate them after baking. You could also store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: Shortbread chocolate cookies can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container.
Whether you store your shortbread cookies in the cupboard, in the fridge, or in the freezer, make sure that they are completely cool before you put them into the container, otherwise condensation will form, which can make them go soggy.
The best shortbread chocolate chip cookies are light in color and melt when you bite into them. Sweet, buttery, and delicious, this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe is one that you’ll want to make again and again (I love these chocolate chip pudding cookies, too!).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe will be too soft to create shapes with cookie cutters. Our no-spread sugar cookies are perfect for your favorite cookie cutters.
To achieve soft cookies and prevent them from spreading in the oven, the soft dough needs a little bit of chilling time in the fridge.
The dough for these shortbread chocolate chunk cookies can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until you are ready to bake them. Thaw and bake them when you are ready to enjoy them.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Toll House Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Roll
- Chocolate Bread
- Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Valentines Cookies
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl add butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Using a hand mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue beating on low until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour and beat on low, stop and scrape down the bowl, and then continue beating until well combined. You may need to use your hands to press dough together to form a solid ball of shortbread. If it seems too flaky, just keep working the dough together, and it will come together.
- Add mini chocolate chips and use a large spoon to fold them into the mixture.
- Shape the dough into a rectangular block using your hands, making it the same width as you want your cookies to be. Wrap in plastic wrap, and firm up the sides and edges of the dough by pressing on the counter.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and let sit out on the counter for 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, cut ¼ to ½-inch thick rectangles from the dough and place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the baking sheet in the oven. Continue baking an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the cookies are barely starting to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Shortbread is meant to be light in color, so be sure to remove the cookies from the oven before they brown.
- Whether you store your shortbread cookies with chocolate chips in the cupboard, in the fridge, or in the freezer, make sure that they are completely cool before you put them into the container, otherwise, condensation will form, which can make them go soggy.