Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Chocolate chip shortbread cookies are buttery, chocolatey, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Made using only six ingredients, kids will love to dip these simple treats into a glass of milk. If you can bear to share them, that is!
INGREDIENTS for CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD COOKIES
You will need:
- 10 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Unsalted Butter: Salted butter also works well for this recipe and adds an extra layer of flavor.
Confectioners’ Sugar: This is also known as icing sugar or powdered sugar. You could use granulated sugar in a pinch.
Vanilla and Almond Extract: If you don’t have both, you can use a little more of just one. But, bear in mind that almond extract is twice as potent as vanilla extract, so don’t put too much in.
Sea Salt: A tiny pinch of sea salt flakes on top of each cookie is optional, but will give a lovely salted chocolate taste.
Raisins: Dried raisins would make a yummy optional addition to this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, add the butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Use a hand mixer to beat on a low setting until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until combined.
STEP TWO: Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour and beat on a low setting, stopping to scrape down the bowl as often as needed.
PRO TIP: You may need to use your hands to press the dough together to form a solid ball of shortbread. If it seems too flaky, just keep working the dough and it will come together.
STEP THREE: Add mini chocolate chips and use a large spoon to fold them into the mixture.
STEP FOUR: Use your hands to shape the dough into a rectangular block, making it the same width as you want your cookies to be.
STEP FIVE: Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Firm up the sides and edges of the dough by pressing it onto the counter. Place the wrapped dough into the refrigerator to chill for two hours.
STEP SIX: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter for ten to fifteen minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Use a sharp knife cut to cut quarter- to half-inch thick rectangular slices from the dough. Place each slice onto the lined baking sheet.
STEP EIGHT: Bake for five minutes. Rotate the baking sheet in the oven and continue to bake for a further four to five minutes, or until the cookies are just starting to brown.
PRO TIP: Shortbread is meant to be light in color, so be sure to remove the cookies from the oven before they brown.
STEP NINE: Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for two to three minutes on the baking sheet. Then, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
IN THE FRIDGE: Shortbread cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to ten days, but it’s not necessary to refrigerate them after baking. You could also store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: Shortbread cookies can be frozen for up to three months in a rigid airtight container.
Whether you store your shortbread cookies in the cupboard, in the fridge or in the freezer, make sure that they are completely cool before you put them into the container, otherwise condensation will form which can make them go soggy.
The best shortbread chocolate chip cookies are light in color and melt in your mouth when you bite into them. Sweet, buttery and delicious, this chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe is one that you’ll want to make again and again.
more recipes you’ll love
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl add butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Using a hand mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue beating on low until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add flour and beat on low, stop and scrape down the bowl, and then continue beating until well combined. (You may need to use your hands to press dough together to form a solid ball of shortbread. If it seems too flaky just keep working the dough together, it will come together).
- Add mini chocolate chips and use a large spoon to fold into the mixture.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle block using your hands, making it the same width as you want your cookies to be. Wrap in plastic wrap, firm up the sides and edges of dough by pressing on the counter.
- Place dough in the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours.
- Remove the cookies from the refrigerator and let sit out on the counter for 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick rectangles from the dough and place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the baking sheet in the oven. Continue baking an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the cookies are barely starting to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.