January 7, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Enjoy these soft, gooey, delicious chocolate chip cookie bars with a glass of milk or a mug of hot chocolate for an easy to make sweet treat. Try topping the warm bars with vanilla bean ice cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge, and chopped walnuts for an incredible dessert!
Everyone loves a great chocolate chip cookie! They really are one of the most satisfying snacks. Make sure you also try our DoubleTree Copycat Cookie recipe. Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are also a real winner!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 3 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus extra for the top of the cookie bars
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Other Types of Chocolate: Semi-sweet is the type of chocolate to use for that familiar chocolate chip cookie flavor. But if you want to try something different, you can use dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chunks. Be careful with white chocolate or milk chocolate as they tend to burn really easily and will probably not handle the amount of time required to bake these cookie bars.
Sprinkles: For a festive twist, add colorful sprinkles to the top of the cookie bars right before baking.
Nuts: If you love nuts in your chocolate chip cookies, try adding them to these cookie bars. All you need to do is mix in ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans when you add the chocolate chips.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Line a 9×13 metal baking pan (with square edges preferred) with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large mixing bowl add butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat together until creamy.
STEP THREE: Add eggs and vanilla to the sugar mixture then continue beating until light and fluffy.
STEP FOUR: In a separate mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
STEP FIVE: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and use the hand mixer to incorporate.
STEP SIX: Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
STEP SEVEN: Gently press the chocolate chip cookie mixture to the prepared 9×13 baking pan. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips over the top of the cookie bars.
STEP EIGHT: Place in the oven and bake at 375F degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until almost fully set. You want these cookie bars to be a bit undercooked. They will continue to set as they cool.
PRO TIP: Check the cookie bars halfway through the baking time and if the top is browning too quickly, tent with a piece of foil to prevent them from over browning.
STEP NINE: Let cool completely, then lift bars out of the baking dish and cut into squares.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store the cookie bars in an airtight food storage container or zip-top bags in the refrigerator for up to one week.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze the cookie bars for later, place them in an airtight food storage container or zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to three months.
If you’re wondering how to make the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie bars, this is the recipe for you (I love these chocolate chip pudding cookies, too!) (I love these chocolate chip pudding cookies, too!)! (Or try our salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars for another awesome take on this recipe.)
Super soft cookie bars filled with rich, sweet chocolate and baked to golden perfection. This recipe is a great way to make a pan of cookies to have on hand for snacks, lunchbox treats, weeknight dessert, or to turn into cookie bar sundaes.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Sugar Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bacon
- Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
- Cookie Dough Fudge
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pie
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Twix Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 3 sticks salted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for the top of the cookie bars
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9×13 metal baking pan (with square edges preferred) with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Use a hand mixer to beat together until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract then continue beating until light and fluffy.
- In a separate mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and use the hand mixer to incorporate.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir with a large spoon to mix.
- Add chocolate chip cookie mixture to the 9×13 baking pan. Flatten evenly into the pan. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips over the top of the cookie bars.
- Place in the oven and bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until almost fully set. You want these cookie bars to be a bit undercooked. They will set as they cool.TIP: If the top of your cookie bars are turning too brown, tent with a piece of foil to prevent them from over browning.
- Let cool completely, then lift bars out of the baking dish and cut into squares.