September 14, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Magic cookie bars are classic treats that go by several other names, including seven layer bars, coconut dream bars, and hello dollies. Whatever you call them, there’s no denying that they’re delicious, with sweet coconut, crunchy nuts, and yummy chocolate chips on top of a buttery graham cracker crust.
Magic Cookie Bars Ingredients
- 2 cups of honey or chocolate graham crackers, crushed into crumbs (about 16 full sheets)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- ½ cup of salted butter, melted
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup of shredded sweet coconut
- ¾ cup of chopped pecans
- 1⅔ cups of sweetened condensed milk
Substitutions And Additions
MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You could use different kinds of chocolate chips, including dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips, as an alternative in this easy dessert.
PECANS: If you don’t have pecans, you could use walnuts, pistachios, cashews, or macadamia nuts.
SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK: We like to use Eagle Brand condensed milk. Cream of coconut works well as an alternative if you prefer to avoid dairy.
COCONUT: Don’t like coconut? No problem. You can make magic cookie bars without coconut if you prefer.
MARSHMALLOWS: These are optional but add a great chewy texture.
DRIED FRUIT: Raisins, sultanas, and cranberries all make nice additions to this simple recipe.
CANDY: To make this recipe extra magical, consider adding M&M’s or any ot
How To Make This Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and melted butter. Stir until combined.
STEP THREE: Pour the graham cracker mixture into the baking dish. Use a spatula or the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crumb mixture down firmly in the bottom of the pan.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle on a third of the chocolate chips, a third of the pecans, and a third of the shredded coconut. Repeat two times to create layers.
STEP FIVE: Pour the condensed milk on top.
STEP SIX: Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your bars as the suggested baking time approaches.
STEP SEVEN: Allow to cool completely, slice into bars, and serve.
When cutting the bars, spray a chef’s knife with cooking spray and wipe with a paper towel. This prevents the magic cookies from sticking to the knife.
How To Serve
MORE COOKIE BAR RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: These gooey magic cookie bars can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
If it’s not too warm, you could keep them on the counter at room temperature for about three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze this delicious treat for up to three months in an airtight container or wrapped in aluminum foil. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
This is the best magic cookie bars recipe, and they are called ‘magic’ for a reason – because they’ll be gone in a matter of minutes! Luckily, there are so many magic cookie bar variations that you can enjoy making these treats again and again.
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy recipe is so forgiving that you can add or omit ingredients, and they will still taste delicious. Leave out the coconut or replace it with quick oats for a tasty texture.
Our seven layer magic cookie bars can be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
If you’d like to add the delicious flavor of peanut butter, the easiest way would be to mix in peanut butter chips along with the chocolate chips in this recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- Pumpkin Magic Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Cowboy Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
- 7 Layer Bars
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Butterscotch Delight
- Salted Nut Roll Bars
Magic Cookie Bars
- 2 cups honey or chocolate graham crackers, crushed into crumbs (about 16 full sheets)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded sweet coconut
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped
- 1⅔ cups sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, add crushed graham crackers, vanilla extract, light brown sugar, and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Pour into the 8×8 baking dish and press down firmly with your fingers. You might want to use something flat to really press the mixture down so the crust can set up.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top of the layers.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the coconut and edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your bars as the suggested baking time approaches.
- When cutting the bars, spray a chef’s knife with cooking spray and wipe with a paper towel. This prevents the magic cookies from sticking to the knife.