November 14, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
If you love tacos, try this quick and easy taco bake which is a fun twist on traditional tacos. Soft flour tortillas are layered in a casserole dish with ground beef, seasoning, and plenty of gooey cheese, resulting in a bubbling, cheesy Tex-Mex casserole.
Taco Bake Ingredients
The combination of savory beef and tomatoes, the crunchy tortilla, and the gooeyness of the cheese will leave you feeling full when you dig into this dish.
- 1½ pounds of ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 (10-ounce) can of Rotel tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can of sliced black olives
- 1 (15-ounce) can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, divided in half
Substitutions And Additions
LOW CARB: If you’re eating low-carb or doing keto, you could leave the tortillas out.
MEAT: Any ground meat would work fine in this tasty recipe. Instead of ground beef, you could use ground turkey or ground chicken.
MIX-INS: Add refried beans, black beans, sliced bell peppers, or green chilis.
You could also mix in cream cheese when cooking the ground beef and onions for a creamier meat mixture.
TOPPINGS: Serve topped with shredded lettuce, green onions, diced tomatoes, and tortilla strips.
SPICE: Add a bit of hot sauce or chili powder to kick it up a notch.
How To Make This Taco Bake Recipe
Let’s walk through the steps to making this delicious, hearty taco bake.
STEP ONE: Cook ground beef in a large skillet on medium-high heat along with the onions until the beef is browned and the onions are tender.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
For an even quicker cooking time, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to a month.
STEP TWO: Stir in the package of taco seasoning along with the amount of water indicated in the package directions. Cook for eight to ten minutes.
STEP THREE: Add the Rotel, olives, and corn.
STEP FOUR: Spray the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place two tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish.
STEP FIVE: Spread half of the beef mixture evenly over the tortillas.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle one cup of cheddar cheese over the meat layer. Then, add another layer of two tortillas over the cheddar cheese.
STEP SEVEN: Layer the rest of the taco meat mixture on top of the tortillas and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.
STEP EIGHT: Pop the casserole dish in the oven to bake at 350°F until bubbly, which takes about 20 minutes.
How To Serve
For an even heartier meal, add our Spanish rice on the side. This easy casserole will be a big hit for Taco Tuesday!
Balance out the richness of the taco bake with a crisp and refreshing tomato cucumber salad.
MORE MEXICAN DISH RECIPES
Storing This Taco Bake Casserole
Here’s the scoop on how to store this delicious dish to keep it tasting as amazing as the day you made it.
MAKE AHEAD: You can assemble the dish, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and pop it in the fridge.
You can keep it in there for up to 24 hours before baking. When you’re ready to devour it, just take it out, remove the plastic wrap and foil, and bake as usual.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store this taco bake in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: This delicious casserole will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat it in the oven at 350°F until it’s warmed through again.
Why We Love This Recipe
LOADED WITH FLAVOR: It combines all the beloved tastes of a classic taco – seasoned ground beef, savory beans, zesty salsa, and creamy cheese – into one mouthwatering casserole.
EASY TO MAKE: With simple, step-by-step instructions, it’s accessible to cooks of all levels. Plus, it’s a one-pan wonder, which means fewer dishes to wash and more time to enjoy your meal.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY: Kids and adults alike can’t resist its comforting flavors and gooey cheese topping. It’s a go-to recipe for family dinners and gatherings.
This cheesy taco bake recipe takes regular tacos and turns them into casserole form. The whole family will gobble up the layers of seasoned meat, veggies, and melty cheese.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can make this delicious recipe ahead of time as it freezes really well. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you prefer to use corn tortillas, you can substitute them in place of the flour tortillas.
You could replace the Rotel tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes, although you may find your recipe is not quite as flavorful as Rotel has added spices and green chili peppers.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Mexican Lasagna
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Corn on the Cob
- Taco Sticks
- Crack Chicken Chili
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 10 ounces Rotel, not drained
- 2.25 ounces sliced black olives
- 15 ounces corn, drained
- 4 taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided in half
- Place the ground beef in a skillet along with the onions and cook until the beef is browned and the onions are tender.
- Stir in the package of taco seasoning along with the amount of water indicated on the package directions. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the Rotel, olives, and corn.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13-inch dish with nonstick spray. Place two tortillas on the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the meat mixture evenly over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over the meat layer. Then, add another layer of two tortillas on top of the cheese.
- Add the rest of the meat on top of the tortillas and the last cup of cheese on top of the meat.
- Bake at 350°F until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and other taco toppings as desired
- For an even quicker cooking time, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- You can assemble this the day before and then bake it before serving.
- Taco Pie
- Campfire Nachos
- Dorito Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole
- Pizza Casserole
- Dirty Rice
- Campfire Pizza
- Taco Spaghetti
- Baked Burritos
- Sloppy Joe Pie
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole
- Turkey Taco Ring
- Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- Taco Pizza
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Crescent Roll Taco Bake
- Best Apple Crisp Recipe
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Crock Pot
- Taquitos Recipe
- Recipe for Almond Joy Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Recipe for Monkey Bread
- The Grinch Punch
- Hot Toddy Drink
- Recipe For Puppy Chow
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Mexican Layered Salad
- Sheet Pan Tacos
- Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Cashew Chicken
- Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
- Baked Chicken Recipe
- Best Baked Ziti Recipe
- Lasagna Recipe Easy
- Ground Turkey Chili Recipe
- Roast Pork Tenderloin
- Key Lime Pie No Bake
- Easy Sausage Gravy
- Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Haystack Recipe
- Best Apple Pie Filling
- Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Shrimp Tacos (With Spicy Cilantro Lime Sauce)
- Sheet Pan Fajitas