Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
With layers of melted cheese, fresh vegetables, and savory beef, this easy taco pie recipe is perfect for when you need to pull together a great meal quickly. This recipe takes less than half an hour to make and is a fun twist on taco night. Just layer seasoned ground beef with cheddar, peppers, and tortillas for a delicious taco pie your kids will race to the table for!
ingredients for Taco Pie
You will need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup of salsa
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Substitutions and Additions
Taco Toppings: Serve topped with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, or any other of your favorite taco toppings.
Ground Turkey: You can swap your ground beef for ground turkey. Lean ground turkey is a great source of healthy protein. Not only is it lower in calories and saturated fat than ground beef, but it also has almost the same amount of protein!
How to Make this Taco Pie recipe
STEP ONE: Begin prepping this dish by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a large 12 inch skillet, brown the ground meat over medium heat then drain.
STEP THREE: Add the diced onions and bell peppers to the skillet and continue to cook them until they are soft which should be about 3 to 5 minutes.
PRO TIP: Keep your pan a bit cooler and heat up as necessary to not burn the vegetables or garlic at this stage.
STEP FOUR: Add the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Add the taco seasoning and salsa and warm through. Turn off the heat.
PRO TIP: If you want to increase the spiciness, you can use a spicy salsa or add 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
STEP SIX: On a baking sheet, place 2 tortillas on top of each other then add 1/2 the meat mixture and spread over evenly.
STEP SEVEN: Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese all over the top of the meat mixture then start again with another layer and add another 2 tortillas on top of the cheese.
PRO TIP: Make sure to spread the remaining meat mixture over evenly, for a smooth finish.
STEP EIGHT: Sprinkle with another cup of cheese then place the final tortilla on the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the last tortilla.
STEP NINE: Bake in your oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and then allow the pie to stand for 5 minutes.
STEP TEN: Serve and enjoy with your favorite added toppings!
IN THE FRIDGE: Let the taco pie cool completely and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: This recipe freezes well. When cooled completely, store this pie in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, just remove it from the freezer, allow it time to thaw, and then bake covered with foil until heated through.
This delicious and flavor-packed meal is perfect for busy weeknights, and is all the best parts of taco night served up without the hassle! Just layer your favorite taco ingredients between soft tortilla shells and bake for a cheesy Mexican night dinner.
more recipes you’ll love
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large 12 inch skillet over medium heat brown the ground meat then drain.
- Add the diced onions and bell peppers and continue to cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and salsa and warm through. Turn off the heat.
- On a baking sheet, place 2 tortillas on top of each other then add 1/2 the meat mixture and spread all over evenly.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese all over the top of the meat mixture.
- Start again with another layer and add another 2 tortillas on top of the cheese.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over evenly.
- Sprinkle with another cup of cheese.
- Place the final tortilla on the top and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the last tortilla.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes any of those traditional accompaniments.