November 1, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
With layers of melted cheese, fresh vegetables, and savory beef, this easy taco pie recipe is the perfect way to pull together a great meal quickly. This recipe takes less than half an hour to make and is a fun twist on taco night. Just layer seasoned ground beef with cheddar, peppers, and tortillas for a delicious taco pie your kids will race to the table for!
Tortilla Taco Pie Ingredients
You will need:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 2½ cups of cheddar cheese, grated
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
TACO TOPPINGS: Serve topped with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, green chiles, green onions, fresh cilantro, or any other of your favorite taco toppings.
GROUND TURKEY: You can swap your ground beef for ground turkey. Lean ground turkey is a great source of healthy protein. Not only is it lower in calories and saturated fat than ground beef, but it also has almost the same amount of protein!
VEGETARIAN: Use either a vegetarian “meat” product or refried beans in place of the ground beef to make a vegetarian version of this quick weeknight meal.
TORTILLAS: You could use either corn tortillas or flour tortillas in this taco recipe.
CHEESE: Cheddar is the great choice for the cheese in this recipe but you could change it up with Monterey Jack or a Tex Mex blend instead.
SALSA: You can either use store-bought salsa or check out our homemade salsa recipe here.
How to Make Taco Pie With Tortillas
STEP ONE: Begin prepping this dish by preheating your oven to 350°F.
STEP TWO: In a large skillet, brown the ground meat over medium heat then drain.
STEP THREE: Add the diced onions and bell peppers to the skillet and continue to cook them until they are soft which should be about 3 to 5 minutes.
PRO TIP: Keep your pan a bit cooler and heat up as necessary to not burn the vegetables or garlic at this stage.
STEP FOUR: Add the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Add the taco seasoning and salsa and warm through. Turn off the heat.
PRO TIP: If you want to increase the spiciness, you can use spicy salsa or add 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
STEP SIX: On a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper, place 2 tortillas on top of each other then add ½ the taco meat mixture and spread over evenly.
STEP SEVEN: Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese all over the top of the beef mixture then start again with another layer and add another 2 tortillas on top of the cheese.
PRO TIP: Make sure to spread the remaining meat mixture over evenly, for a smooth finish.
STEP EIGHT: Sprinkle with another cup of cheese then place the final tortilla on the top layer. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top of the last tortilla.
STEP NINE: Bake in your oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and then allow the pie to stand for 5 minutes.
STEP TEN: Serve and enjoy this great recipe with your favorite added toppings!
Serving Taco Pie
Serve this taco pie with all your favorite Mexican toppings. Add bowls of guacamole, extra salsa, sour cream, green onions, tomatoes and jalapeños for people to top their taco pie with whichever ones they like. It is sure to be a family favorite. If you want to serve this as part of a larger meal, add our Spanish rice on the side.
Storing this Taco Pie Recipe with Tortillas
IN THE FRIDGE: Let the taco pie cool completely and store it in the refrigerator. This simple recipe will keep for about 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: This easy recipe freezes well. When cooled completely, store this pie in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, just remove it from the freezer, allow it time to thaw, and then bake covered with foil until heated through.
You’ll Love This Recipe For Taco Pie
This delicious and flavor-packed meal is perfect for busy weeknights, and is all the best parts of taco night served up without the hassle! Just add all of your favorite taco ingredients between layers of tortillas and bake for a cheesy Mexican night dinner that the whole family, even the picky eaters, will love.
Taco Pie Recipe FAQ
You can make this delicious recipe ahead of time as it freezes really well. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can reheat this taco bake in the oven at 400°F for about 25 minutes until piping hot.
Taco pie freezes really well. Let cool completely, cover in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat, brown the ground meat then drain.
- Add the diced onions and bell peppers and continue to cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and salsa and warm through. Turn off the heat.
- On a baking sheet, place 2 tortillas on top of each other then add ½ the meat mixture and spread all over evenly.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese all over the top of the meat mixture.
- Start again with another layer and add another 2 tortillas on top of the cheese.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over evenly.
- Sprinkle with another cup of cheese.
- Place the final tortilla on the top and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top of the last tortilla.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes any of those traditional accompaniments.