October 26, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This classic homemade Rice Krispie treats recipe is a favorite with their buttery, gooey marshmallows mixed with crunchy cereal. They are perfect for lunchboxes, snacking, and dessert!
Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
These delightful treats are irresistibly sweet, chewy, and crispy all at once, with a subtle but distinct vanilla flavor to round it off.
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
Be sure to use fresh marshmallows for the best results!
Rice Krispie Treats Variations
CEREAL: Use other cereal flavors like Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Krispies instead of the crispy rice cereal.
Or, you could add chocolate chips and Golden Grahams cereal, then top with mini marshmallows for s’mores treats.
MARSHMALLOW: You can also substitute a 7-ounce jar of marshmallow fluff instead of the mini marshmallows for this great recipe.
ADD-ONS: Of course, the original recipe is perfect on its own, but you can also add mix-ins like peanut butter, M&M’s, sprinkles, or other candy.
Or add caramel or chocolate drizzle on top of your cereal treats.
THEME-SPECIFIC: Customize these buttery Rice Krispie treats for special occasions.
You could make these crispy treats pastel-colored for a special unicorn treat. You could mix pumpkin puree in with the butter and marshmallows for an autumn treat.
You could do food coloring or shapes galore to celebrate Christmas, Easter, the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, or Halloween. Think Frankenstein and add green food coloring to the mix.
How To Make The Best Rice Krispie Treats
These treats are so easy to make. We’ve got all the tips and tricks for this perfect, nostalgic recipe.
STEP ONE: In a microwave-safe large bowl, melt marshmallows and butter for one minute.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can make this on the stovetop as well! In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, then add in the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from the heat — it’s important not to overcook!
STEP TWO: Remove from the microwave and pour the vanilla into the melted marshmallow mixture. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth.
STEP THREE: Add six cups of Rice Krispie cereal and stir until the cereal is well coated.
You could add just a dash of salt to help enhance the sweet flavors even more.
STEP FOUR: Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and pour the cereal mixture into the pan.
Place a piece of parchment paper over the top and press the Krispies down gently into an even layer.
Don’t put too much pressure when pressing down, you don’t need to completely smoosh them!
If you’re using your fingers or rubber spatula to press the mixture down, run your hands/spatula under water and shake off the excess before starting. This will help prevent the sticky mixture from clinging to you! You can also spray your hands or spatula with a little bit of cooking spray.
STEP FIVE: Let sit on the counter for an hour or in the fridge for 30 minutes until set.
STEP SIX: Lift the treats from the pan and slice them into extra-thick, giant bars.
Or you can make more reasonably-sized marshmallow squares for a delicious snack after lunch, it’s your call!
How To Serve This Recipe For Rice Krispie Bars
This delicious treat is always welcome at snack time, lunchtime, or really anytime at all.
Add a glass of milk on the side or an Instant Pot hot chocolate to keep you cozy and warm.
How To Store Rice Krispie Treats
How Long Do Rice Krispie Treats Last?
These sweet treats will last for two days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can You Freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
You could also freeze Rice Krispie bars for four to six weeks in a freezer-safe container with wax paper in between each treat.
You can place a slice of bread in the container with your Rice Krispie treats to help soften them if they start to get too hard.
Why We Love This Recipe
SIMPLE TO MAKE: This recipe is incredibly easy and quick to make, making it perfect for both novice and experienced cooks. With just a few basic ingredients and minimal preparation, you can whip up a batch of delicious treats in no time.
NOSTALGIC: Rice Krispie treats are a beloved childhood favorite, and this recipe captures that nostalgic comfort perfectly.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY: Rice Krispie treats are a crowd-pleaser at family gatherings, parties, or as a delightful surprise for kids after school.
The Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Four simple ingredients make this classic Rice Krispies treat one of the easiest things to make. It will certainly satisfy your sweet craving and are always a great choice to make and share.
Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe FAQs
Getting the marshmallow and butter mixture too hot can lead to your Rice Krispie treats getting too hard. Also, if you don’t use fresh marshmallows or butter, it can impact your treats.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag in between sheets of wax paper to help keep each square from sticking to the others.
You can dampen your hands and spatula with water or spray both with cooking spray to help avoid the mixture sticking to you.
You can keep Rice Krispie treats fresh by storing them in an airtight container.
Adding too much marshmallow and butter to the Rice Krispies can result in soggy Rice Krispies.
Rice Krispie treats are not gluten-free because Rice Krispies are made with malt syrup which contains gluten.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Lemon Cookies
- Doubletree Cookies
- Oreo Pie
- Eclair Cake
- S’mores Hand Pie
- S’mores Dip
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peeps Rice Krispie Squares
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Five Star Bars
- Indoor S’mores
- Peanut Marshmallow Clusters
- Snickerdoodle Bread
- Butterscotch Marshmallow Bars
- S’mores Bars
- Peanut Butter Fluff
- Reindeer Rice Krispie Treats
- S’mores Cookies Recipe
- Rocky Road Cookies
- Caramel Cheesecake Bars
- Baked S’mores
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake Bars
- Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes
- Caramel Apple Crisp Bites
- Banana Split Fluff
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- Caramel Sauce
Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt marshmallows and butter for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave and pour in vanilla. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies and stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper and pour the cereal mixture into the pan. Place a piece of parchment paper over the top and press the crispies down into an even layer.
- Let sit on the counter for an hour or in the fridge for 30 minutes until set.
- Lift the treats from the pan and slice into 12 pieces.
- Be sure to use fresh marshmallows for the best results!
- You can make this on the stovetop as well! In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, then add in the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat — it’s important not to overcook!
- You could add just a dash of salt to help enhance the sweet flavors even more.
- Don’t put too much pressure when pressing down, you don’t need to completely smoosh them! If you’re using your fingers or rubber spatula to press the mixture down, run your hands/spatula under water and shake off the excess before starting. This will help prevent the sticky mixture from clinging to you! You can also spray your hands or spatula with a little bit of cooking spray.