September 8, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
With five simple ingredients, you can whip up this addictive puppy chow recipe in a flash. This sweet treat features cereal squares coated with a peanut butter-chocolate mixture followed by a dusting of powdered sugar for an irresistible snack that you won’t be able to stop munching.
Puppy Chow Chex Mix Ingredients
- 10 cups of Rice Chex cereal (or generic version)
- 1½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup of creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
Substitutions And Additions
CEREAL: You can use Crispix cereal in place of the rice Chex cereal for this classic puppy chow.
CHEX: You can use rice and corn Chex for the cereal mixture or just corn Chex.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Milk chocolate can be substituted for semisweet chocolate chips. Or you can get crazy and use white chocolate chips instead.
MIX-INS: Chex mix snacks are very flexible.
You can add plenty of other mix-ins depending on your preference. Try Cheerios, pretzels, nuts, or mini marshmallows.
PEANUT BUTTER: If you are looking for a nut-free option, you could substitute the creamy peanut butter with almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
How To Make This Puppy Chow Chex Mix Recipe
STEP ONE: Using an extra-large bowl, add in the 10 cups of rice Chex. Set it aside.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
When making a Chex mix, make sure to use your largest mixing bowl.
STEP TWO: Using a medium-sized heat-safe mixing bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and continue heating in 20-second intervals, stirring after each interval until the mixture is smooth.
STEP THREE: Pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over the rice Chex. Stir until all of the Chex are completely coated.
Don’t overmix; chunks in this recipe are part of the fun. You also don’t want to break the Chex cereal.
STEP FOUR: Pour the coated Chex and the powdered sugar into a 2-gallon Ziploc bag. Shake to completely coat the puppy chow.
STEP FIVE: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP SIX: Divide the puppy chow between the two baking sheets. Allow the puppy chow to rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.
Try to lay it out in a single layer as best you can so it can cool and harden and not stick together. If you need to speed up the process, you can put your baking sheets in the refrigerator.
How To Serve
This fun treat is a great alternative to popcorn on movie night or to serve instead of a bowl of chips at a birthday party; I guarantee it will be a crowd-pleaser.
During the holidays, how about packaging it up into fancy clear bags for a great gift to friends along with our Christmas Chex mix?
ON THE COUNTER: Store any leftovers of this easy puppy chow recipe at room temperature in an airtight container or large ziplock bag for up to five days.
IN THE FREEZER: Store this Chex mix puppy chow recipe in an airtight plastic bag and place it in the freezer for up to four weeks.
You’ll Love This Recipe For Puppy Chow
Contrary to the name, this delicious puppy chow recipe is most definitely human chow. Crispy Chex cereal is coated with chocolate and peanut butter for a tasty treat. Once you start I guarantee you won’t be able to stop!
Frequently Asked Questions
This peanut butter treat is called puppy chow because it resembles puppy food. It is also often called muddy buddies, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or monkey munch.
This easy recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to five days on the counter. If you are serving it for a party, it would be an easy thing to make in advance to free up your time on party day.
This puppy chow mix recipe can be kept in the refrigerator but doesn’t have to be. It can be kept on the counter just fine for about five days.
You can store this simple recipe in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. Of course, that is if you don’t eat it all right away!
There are plenty of names for this addictive snack mix. Muddy buddies, monkey munch, muddy munch, reindeer chow, and puppy chow are all the same!
You can make sure that your puppy chow doesn’t get soggy by letting it rest and dry on the cookie sheet for about 20 minutes and then storing it in a sealed Ziploc bag or airtight container.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Rainbow Popcorn
- Energy Bites
- Stuffed Celery
- Peanut Butter Fluff
- Dill Pickle Chex Mix
- Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
Puppy Chow Recipe
- 10 cups rice Chex, or generic version
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Using an extra-large mixing bowl, add in the 10 cups of Rice Chex. Set it aside.
- Using a medium-size heat-safe mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and continue heating in 20-second intervals, stirring after each interval until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the rice Chex. Stir until all of the Chex are completely coated.
- Pour the coated Chex and the powdered sugar into a 2-gallon Ziploc baggie. Shake to completely coat the puppy chow.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the puppy chow between the puppy chow between the 2 baking sheets. Allow the puppy chow to rest for 20 minutes.
- When making a Chex mix, make sure to use your largest mixing bowl.
- Don’t overmix; chunks in this recipe are part of the fun. You also don’t want to break the Chex cereal.
- Try to lay it out in a single layer as best you can so it can cool and harden and not stick together. If you need to speed up the process, you can put your baking sheets in the refrigerator.