October 21, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- What Is Tater Tot Casserole Made Of?
- Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make This Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- What Food Goes With Tater Tot Casserole?
- Can I Make This Recipe For Tater Tot Casserole Ahead Of Time?
- Storing This Easy Tater Tot Casserole
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
This easy homemade tater tot casserole is a simple family favorite. Loaded with ground beef, seasonings, lots of cheddar cheese, and veggies then topped with a layer of golden brown crispy tater tots, this quick dinner recipe is a crowd-pleaser.
What Is Tater Tot Casserole Made Of?
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (I used a blend of green beans, carrots, peas, and corn)
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded, divided in half
- 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots
Substitutions And Additions
MEXICAN: Add black beans, taco seasoning, green chiles, enchilada sauce, and corn to spice up Taco Tuesday.
Serve your Mexican tater tot casserole with sour cream on top.
SOUP: If you don’t like cream of mushroom, you can use another cream soup such as cream of celery or cream of chicken soup instead.
BACON: You could also crumble crispy bacon bits on top before serving.
MEAT: You can choose different ground meats for this hearty casserole such as ground pork, ground sausage, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
How To Make This Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This is a fantastic make-ahead dish. You can prepare it up to the baking step and store it in the fridge or freezer covered in foil or plastic wrap before baking it later.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
STEP TWO: In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic on medium-high heat until beef is cooked through. Drain if needed.
STEP THREE: Add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef mixture and mix thoroughly.
STEP FOUR: Stir mixed vegetables into the beef mixture.
STEP FIVE: Place the beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the 9×13 casserole dish.
STEP SIX: Top the meat mixture with four ounces of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
STEP SEVEN: Place frozen tater tots in an even layer on top of the cheese layer. Depending on the size and shape of your dish, you may have some leftovers.
For best results, make sure the tater tots are spread evenly in a single layer on top.
STEP EIGHT: Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
STEP NINE: Remove from the oven and add the remaining four ounces of freshly shredded cheddar cheese on top of the tater tots.
Bake for another five minutes or until cheese is melted.
What Food Goes With Tater Tot Casserole?
Even your picky eaters will love this delicious tater tot casserole. Add a simple Caesar salad on the side for a complete meal.
This is a great recipe to throw together on a busy weeknight and is nice and hearty to fill up your family’s hungry tummies.
Can I Make This Recipe For Tater Tot Casserole Ahead Of Time?
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. Prepare it up to the baking step and keep it in the fridge or freezer covered in aluminum foil until you are ready to bake it.
Storing This Easy Tater Tot Casserole
IN THE FRIDGE: You can make this easy tater tot casserole recipe 24-hours ahead of time and keep covered with aluminum foil in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to three days after baking.
IN THE FREEZER: After baking, store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Classic comfort food at its best, this hearty cheesy tater tot casserole is a family favorite that everyone will love. Seasoned ground beef is mixed with veggies and topped with tater tots and cheese before baking for a simple, delicious weeknight dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a thinner crust on top, you can substitute hash browns or even mashed potatoes for the regular tater tots.
You can prepare this easy casserole recipe right up to the baking step. Freeze until you are ready to serve it, thaw in the refrigerator, and bake.
If you would prefer to use ground pork, turkey, or chicken, those would taste great in this dish.
Tater tot casserole is a dish that originated in the Midwest. If you grew up in that area, it’s likely you grew up enjoying this comforting food.
To crisp up your tater tots, you can turn the oven to broil for the last 2-3 minutes of baking, but keep a close eye on the casserole so that you don’t burn them.
Tater Tot Casserole is also known as Tater Tot Hotdish.
Casserole generally refers to the dish that the meal is cooked in, while a hotdish is the actual meal itself.
Casseroles also tend to be made with lighter meats such as chicken or tuna, while a hotdish often uses meats such as beef.
Hotdishes also use potatoes but usually do not include rice or cheese, while casseroles do.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Letters to Santa Printable Templates
- Custard Pie Recipe Easy
- Strawberry Cheesecake Crunch Cake
- Green Bean Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- Baked Ziti with Chicken
- Pickle Pasta
- Recipe for Hamburger Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Vegetable Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie with Tater Tots
- Hamburger Rice Casserole
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Ultimate Chicken Casserole
- Jiffy Corn Casserole
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcake
- Cheesy Crack Chicken Casserole
- Chicken & Rice
- Cherry Cheesecake Recipe No Bake
- Creamy Squash Soup
- The Best Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Shirley Temple (Drink)
- Peppermint Bark Candy
- Taco Soup with Ground Beef
- Reindeer Food Recipe
- Turtle Chocolates
- Best Lemon Bar Recipe
- Fried Rice and Chicken
- Recipe for Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Recipe for Stuffed Shells
- Easy King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- Hamburger Helper Homemade
- Best Crab Rangoon Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti
- Jello Cool Whip Pie
- Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Blackberry Cobbler Recipe Easy
- Best Blueberry Bread
- Doritos Casserole
- Simple Sauteed Vegetables
- Homemade Meatballs
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole
- Crock Pot Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Layered Salad
Tatertot Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies, I used a blend with green beans, carrots, peas, and corn
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese freshly shredded, divided
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is cooked through. Drain if needed.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the mixed vegetables.
- Place the beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top the beef and vegetable mixture with 4 ounces of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the frozen tater tots on top of the cheese layer. Depending on the size and shape of your dish, you may have some leftover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining 4 ounces of freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- This is a fantastic make-ahead dish. You can prepare it up to the baking step and store it in the fridge or freezer covered in foil or plastic wrap before baking it later.
- For best results, make sure the tater tots are spread evenly in a single layer on top.