October 18, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal, look no further than these cheesy slow cooker queso chicken tacos. The slow cooker does all the work for you, and all you need is to add the ingredients, let it cook for a few hours, and serve with tortillas and tasty toppings.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos Ingredients
The tender, slow-cooked chicken breasts are seasoned with a mild taco seasoning mix, creating a savory and slightly smoky base.
The addition of diced tomatoes and green chilies adds a subtle kick of heat and tanginess.
What truly elevates this dish is the salsa con queso, which introduces a creamy and indulgent element with a cheesy, slightly spicy twist.
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 medium-sized chicken breasts)
- 1 (1-ounce) package of mild taco seasoning or use homemade taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can of mild diced tomatoes and green chilies, with juice
- 1 (4-ounce) can of diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) container of salsa con queso
- Street taco-size flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
Some 4-packs of chicken will range from 2-3 pounds. Check the weight but this recipe is forgiving enough that the range of weight won’t impact the result significantly.
Substitutions And Additions
GREEN CHILES: You can use any level of heat for the 4-ounce can of green chiles.
DICED TOMATOES: Use a mild or spicy 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, depending on your preference.
You can also substitute a container of pico de gallo for the diced tomatoes and green chiles.
SALSA: You can substitute a jar of nacho cheese for the salsa con queso.
CHICKEN: If you prefer, chicken thighs will work in this easy recipe as well instead of chicken breasts.
TACO SEASONING: If you’re looking for a milder or spicier kick, feel free to experiment with different taco seasoning brands or variations.
Adjust the quantity to suit your taste preferences, making it as mild or as bold as you like.
FLOUR TORTILLAS: While street taco-size flour tortillas are the traditional choice, you can use corn tortillas or whole wheat tortillas.
GARNISHES: Customize your tacos with a variety of toppings.
Consider adding sliced avocados, chopped onions, pickled jalapeños, or a drizzle of hot sauce for extra flavor and texture.
How To Make This Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos Recipe
Our instructions will show you which ingredients need to be added to your slow cooker at the right times. Before you know it, it will be dinner time!
Make sure the chicken breasts are fully thawed before adding them to the slow cooker.
STEP ONE: Lightly spray the inside of a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker.
STEP THREE: Sprinkle taco seasoning, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper over the chicken breasts.
STEP FOUR: Pour the 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes and chiles and the 4-ounce can of green chiles over the seasoned chicken breast.
Cook on the high setting for four hours.
Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
STEP FIVE: Once the chicken has finished cooking, use two forks to shred chicken breast.
STEP SIX: Pour the container of salsa con queso over the top of the shredded chicken and stir to thoroughly combine.
You can adjust the amount of cheese dip depending on your preference. You could opt to add half the jar to the slow cooker and offer the remaining half for each individual to add to their own tacos.
STEP SEVEN: Serve the chicken taco meat in the flour tortillas.
Garnish with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, fresh lime wedges, and sour cream.
If you prefer hard taco shells, then you can serve the chicken mixture in those instead for a satisfying crunch.
How To Serve
Serve these slow cooker chicken tacos on your next Taco Tuesday for an easy dinner.
Serve with our Spanish rice on the side for a complete meal.
MORE TACOS RECIPES
Now that you’ve enjoyed these delicious slow-cooker queso chicken tacos let’s talk about how to store any leftovers or prepare ahead for future cravings.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning to prepare these tacos ahead of time, it’s best to do so up to the point just before serving.
You can cook the chicken with the seasonings and then store it separately from the toppings.
When you’re ready to enjoy, simply reheat the chicken and assemble your tacos with fresh toppings for a satisfying meal.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze the leftovers for up to two months stored in an airtight container.
REHEATING: When reheating, you have a few options.
On the stovetop, warm the chicken over low to medium heat, adding a touch of water to maintain its moisture.
Alternatively, you can use the microwave, heating it in 30-second intervals and stirring in between until it’s thoroughly warmed.
To maintain the best texture and flavor, avoid overheating, and remember to keep the taco toppings fresh for a satisfying taco experience.
Why We Love This Recipe
EFFORTLESS PREPARATION: This recipe is incredibly easy to make, thanks to the convenience of the slow cooker. Just toss in the ingredients, set it, and forget it until your delicious tacos are ready to assemble.
FLAVORFUL: The combination of tender chicken, savory taco seasoning, and creamy salsa con queso creates a mouthwatering flavor profile that appeals to both adults and kids.
MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZER FRIENDLY: You can prepare the chicken ahead of time or freeze leftovers for future meals, making it a convenient option for meal planning and saving time on busy days.
This slow cooker queso chicken tacos will be a family favorite. They are easy to assemble, and the slow cooker will do all the work for you. With plenty of Mexican-inspired ingredients, these tacos are flavorful with just enough of a kick and will be delicious served on tortillas.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This slow cooker recipe would also work using chicken thighs if you prefer. You may need to cook them for less time since they are smaller than individual chicken breasts.
This easy recipe would work with corn tortillas as well. You may want to warm them slightly in the microwave to soften them up before filling them.
These tacos are not overly spicy, although they do have a slight kick. You can adjust the spice level with what tomatoes, chiles, and taco seasoning you use.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Fajita Quesadilla
- Salsa Chicken
- Burrito Bowl
- Best Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- 7 Can Chicken Taco Soup
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4 medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1 ounces mild taco seasoning, or use homemade taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 ounces mild diced tomatoes and green chilies, with juice
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 15 ounces salsa con queso
- street taco size flour tortillas
- shredded lettuce, sour cream, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
- Lightly spray the inside of a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Lay the boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning, kosher salt and cracked black pepper over the chicken breasts.
- Pour the 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes and chiles and the 4-ounce can of green chiles over the seasoned chicken breasts. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, use 2 forks to shred the chicken breasts.
- Pour the container of salsa con queso over the top of the chicken and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Serve in the flour tortillas, and garnish with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, chopped cilantro and sour cream.
- Some 4-packs of chicken will range from 2-3 pounds. Check the weight but this recipe is forgiving enough that the range of weight won’t impact the result significantly.
- Make sure the chicken breasts are fully thawed before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- You can adjust the amount of cheese dip depending on your preference. You could opt to add half the jar to the slow cooker and offer the remaining half for each individual to add to their own tacos.
- If you prefer hard taco shells, then you can serve the chicken mixture in those instead for a satisfying crunch.
Even More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Beef Ramen Stir Fry
- Taco Sticks
- Coca-Cola Chicken
- Chicken and Shrimp Tacos
- Cheese Dip
- Pineapple Salsa
- Mexican Layered Salad
- White Queso Dip
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Puffy Tacos
- Taco Bites
- Rolled Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos
- Taco Casserole Recipe
- Crescent Roll Taco Bake
- Taco Ring
- Sheet Pan Tacos