January 27, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This hearty Crockpot beef stew with gravy is the perfect winter comfort food. Loaded with tasty beef, chunky potatoes, and carrots, it’s so easy to make in your slow cooker.
CROCKPOT BEEF STEW INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 to 3 pounds of stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into even chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into even chunks
- 1 package of dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 32 ounce box of beef broth
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ cup of flour
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Stew Meat: To make a vegetarian or vegan version of this beef stew, the best meat alternative would be seitan.
Beef Broth: You can substitute this with beef stock, bouillon, or vegetable broth if needed.
Tomato Paste: You could use tomato sauce in a pinch, but you’ll need to use three times as much and you may need a little more flour to thicken the stew.
Worcestershire Sauce: If you don’t have this, try balsamic vinegar or barbecue sauce.
Flour: To make this Crockpot beef stew gluten-free, use cornstarch or arrowroot for thickening.
Vegetables: Slow cooker stews are a great way to use up leftover veggies, so feel free to throw in some peas, green beans, celery, onion, mushrooms, parsnips, or whatever you have in the fridge.
Red Wine: Adding a cup of red wine will give this beef stew some extra flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BEEF STEW CROCKPOT RECIPE
STEP ONE: Add all the ingredients, except the flour, to the Crockpot.
STEP TWO: Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.
PRO TIP: To cook the stew overnight or while you’re at work, use the low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
STEP THREE: In the last half hour, take out a half cup of broth and mix it with the flour to make a roux.
STEP FOUR: Pour the roux into the stew and cook for another 30 minutes.
PRO TIP: If the stew is still too watery add more flour, a little at a time to thicken.
STEP FIVE: Remove the bay leaves.
STEP SIX: Serve with crusty bread, dumplings, or your choice of vegetables.
PRO TIP: If you’re not ready to eat, you can leave the Crockpot on warm for a further hour or so if needed.
IN THE FRIDGE: Beef stew can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
IN THE FREEZER: Beef stew freezes well for up to three months. If you plan to make this dish to freeze, it’s best to add the flour when reheating to prevent the stew from separating.
Crockpot beef stew is the perfect homemade food for busy families. It’s a great feeling to return home to the smell of your dinner which has cooked itself while you’ve been gone! Beef stew becomes even tastier when it’s reheated, so don’t be afraid to make more than you need.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Crockpot Beef Stew
- 2 to 3 lb beef stew
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into even chunks
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped into even chunks
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 32 oz box beef broth
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp worcestershine sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup flour
- Add all the ingredients, except the flour, to the Crockpot.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.Tip: To cook the stew overnight or while you’re at work, use the low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- In the last half hour, take out a half cup of broth and mix it with the flour to make a roux.
- Pour the roux back into the stew and cook for another 30 minutes.Tip: If the stew is still too watery, add more flour, a little at a time to thicken.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve with crusty bread, dumplings, or your choice of vegetables.Tip: If you’re not ready to eat, you can leave the Crockpot on warm for a further hour or so if needed.