This chili is the best! My simple recipe combines beef and beans with a robust tomato sauce and spices. It’s easy, delicious, homemade meal that is ready in just half an hour.
Chili Ingredients You Will Need:
- ground beef (or ground turkey)
- kidney beans
- green pepper
- yellow onion
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
For seasoning in this recipe, we’re grabbing allllll the spices. They’re going to combine to create the most amazing flavor. You’ll use chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle powder, cayenne, salt, white pepper and baking soda.
(Full recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
Traditionally, you would use kidney beans in this chili. But you could also try another kind of bean such as black beans or pinto beans. You could also increase the beans and reduce the amount of meat — or eliminate the meat altogether to make it a vegetarian option.
How to Make Chili
This recipe really is easy. Or go here if you want a slow cooker version.
STEP ONE: First, in a large dutch oven, you’ll saute the diced peppers and onions until they’re translucent and start to caramelize.Next, add in your seasoning, mins the baking soda, and cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring continuously. You don’t want anything to burn, so make sure you keep stirring!
STEP TWO: Add your ground meat and brown until it’s just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of your ingredients because you’re going to continue cooking it. Then pour in your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
STEP THREE: Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the drained beans.
STEP FOUR: Finally, stir in the baking soda. This will cause the sauce to start to bubble up. Keep stirring over medium heat until the bubbles have gone away. Remove from heat and you’re ready to serve with your yummy cornbread.
You’ll want to make this delicious chili recipe over and over again. And it’s even better on the second day, if you happen to have leftovers. Which doesn’t always happen in my house. 😉 If you’re looking for another option, try my recipe for turkey chili – it’s delicious and easy.
What to Serve with Chili
Obviously, I love serving chili alongside cornbread. I also love serving it with a dollop of sour cream and some sharp cheddar cheese on top. Serve it with a homemade caesar salad on the side. The creaminess of the salad goes great with chili.
Enjoy this easy chili recipe with your family soon. I absolutely love it and it’s some of my favorite kitchen time memories we make together.
More Recipes You Will Love
Pair this recipe with:
Old Fashioned Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef/turkey
- 2 small green peppers about 2 cups diced
- 1 small yellow onion about 1.5 cups diced
- 2-15 ounce cans Hunts Diced Tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can Hunts Tomato Sauce
- 1-6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1-15 ounce cans water
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large dutch oven, saute diced peppers and onions until translucent and they start to caramelize.
- Add seasonings (minus the baking soda) and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. (Make sure they don’t burn.)
- Add ground meat and brown until just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and tomato paste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the drained beans.
- Stir in the baking soda. The sauce will start to bubble up. Stir over medium heat until the bubbles have gone away.
- Remove from heat and serve with cornbread.