January 10, 2024Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Mini Pepper Pizzas
- Sweet Pepper Pizza Bites Ingredients
- Substitutions And Additions for Bell Pepper Pizza Bites
- How To Make This Sweet Pepper Pizza Bites Recipe
- How To Serve Bell Pepper Pizza
- Storing These Mini Pepper Pizzas
- Why We Love Bell Pepper Pizzas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- Even More Recipes You’ll Love
These mini pepper pizzas are everything you love about pizza but in a creative bite-sized form. Instead of using a dough-based pizza crust, these pizzas use mini sweet peppers as the base.
Mini Pepper Pizzas
The idea with mini pepper pizzas is to offer a low-carb, gluten-free alternative to regular pizza, with the added nutritional benefits of bell peppers.
They are popular among those following specific dietary plans like keto or those looking for a lighter, veggie-rich meal option.
Mini pepper pizzas are usually baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly, similar to traditional pizzas, but with a distinctively crisp and slightly sweet base.
Sweet Pepper Pizza Bites Ingredients
- 12 mini sweet peppers, washed and dried
- 1 cup of pizza sauce (1 tablespoon per mini pepper half)
- 1¼ cups of shredded mozzarella (freshly shredded melts best)
- 74 mini pepperoni slices
For best results, use mini sweet peppers that are on the larger size or “fatter” for better stuffing.
Substitutions And Additions for Bell Pepper Pizza Bites
Just like traditional pizzas, these mini versions are versatile when it comes to toppings.
You can add classic pizza toppings like tomato sauce, cheese and various meats like pepperoni, ham, or cooked sausage. They’re also great with an array of vegetables like onions, mushrooms, olives, and even some pineapple for a sweet touch.
PEPPERONI: You can substitute one slice of full-size pepperoni, cut into quarters, for the four slices of mini pepperoni.
You could also use turkey pepperoni instead of regular pepperoni in this delicious recipe.
MEAT: You can substitute Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, black olives, or any other additional pizza toppings for the mini pepperoni.
CHEESE: In this recipe, you can use mozzarella, cheddar, or any cheese that melts well. In addition, you can choose to substitute low-fat mozzarella cheese for full-fat cheese.
VEGETABLES: Bell pepper pizzas are also great with an array of vegetables like onions, mushrooms and olives. You could even add pineapple for a touch of sweetness.
HERBS & SEASONINGS: To enhance the flavor, seasonings such as salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and fresh herbs like basil or oregano can be added.
ADD SPICE: Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or use poblano or jalapeño peppers for a spicy kick in this recipe.
How To Make This Sweet Pepper Pizza Bites Recipe
We will show you how to slice the peppers and assemble these little pizza snacks.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: Slice the mini peppers in half long ways. Remove seeds, but keep the stem intact.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Leaving the stems on makes for a pretty presentation and makes it easier to pick up the peppers to enjoy them.
STEP THREE: Depending on the size of the halved peppers, spoon 1½ teaspoons or up to a half tablespoon of pizza sauce into the pepper half.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle 1½ to 2 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
STEP FIVE: Depending on the size of the halved peppers, top the shredded mozzarella with three to four slices of mini pepperoni on each of the halved peppers.
STEP SIX: Bake for eight to ten minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Serve while warm.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your peppers at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
How To Serve Bell Pepper Pizza
These colorful mini pepper pizzas are a great healthy choice for a school snack. Kids will love the bright colors of the mini peppers and the mini pepperoni.
Offering a selection of dipping sauces can be a fun addition. Sauces like marinara, ranch, or a spicy aioli can complement the flavors of the pizzas.
Storing These Mini Pepper Pizzas
Now that you’ve whipped up these delectable pizza bites, you might be wondering how to store them for later enjoyment.
Tips for Storing Pepper Pizza
- COOL BEFORE STORING: Allow the mini pepper pizzas to cool to room temperature after cooking. Storing them while they’re still hot can lead to condensation inside the storage container, making the pizzas soggy.
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT CONTAINER: Use an airtight container to store the mini pepper pizzas. If you don’t have a container large enough to hold them without overlapping, you can layer them with parchment paper or aluminum foil to prevent them from sticking together.
Planning ahead? These mini pepper pizzas are perfect for that. Prepping them ahead will save you some time later.
Simply follow the recipe as usual, pop them in the fridge on a baking sheet, and let them chill until you’re ready to bake.
When you’re ready to enjoy, just preheat your oven and follow the baking instructions from the recipe. This little trick is a lifesaver for parties or meal prep Sundays.
If you are meal prepping and plan to freeze the pizzas, consider undercooking the bell peppers slightly when you initially make them. This way, they won’t become overly soft when reheated.
Storing In The Fridge
The beauty of these mini pepper pizzas is that they stay fresh and delicious in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Remember, when it comes to any kind of food storage, air is not your friend. It dries food out and invites unwanted fridge flavors. So, ensure that the container lid is sealed tightly.
Storing In The Freezer
Mini pepper pizzas can be frozen for up to three months. However, consuming them sooner rather than later can result in a better texture.
Once they’re cool, lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pop them in the freezer for about an hour. This initial freeze prevents them from sticking together.
Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. When you’re ready to enjoy them, just reheat – no need to thaw.
Reheating Mini Pepper Pizzas
When it’s time to reheat, an oven or toaster oven is best – just preheat to 350°F and warm them up until the cheese is bubbly.
If you’re in a pinch, the microwave works for peppers that have not been frozen. Zap them on a lower power setting in short bursts to avoid sogginess.
Why We Love Bell Pepper Pizzas
QUICK AND EASY: This recipe is incredibly easy to prepare, making it perfect for both novice and experienced cooks. With step-by-step instructions and minimal ingredients, you can whip up these mini pizzas in no time.
GREAT TASTE: The sweet peppers provide a natural sweetness that contrasts beautifully with the rich tomato sauce and creamy cheese.
The addition of mini pepperoni slices adds a zesty and slightly spicy kick, making these bite-sized treats a delicious blend of flavors.
PERFECT PARTY SNACK: These mini pepper pizzas are the ultimate crowd-pleaser. They make fantastic finger food for parties, game nights, or potlucks.
These mini pepper pizzas are a great way enjoy the flavors of pizza in a low-carb way. They’re easy to make, customizable, and a hit with both adults and kids alike.
Frequently Asked Questions
These sweet mini peppers are smaller, thinner, and sweeter than bell peppers, which makes them perfect for snacking.
Portobello mushrooms, eggplant, or zucchini would all be great alternatives to the peppers in this recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Oven Baked Chicken
- Stuffed Shells
- Roasted Vegetables
- Sautéed Vegetables
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Bacon Pasta
- Tortellini Carbonara
Sweet Pepper Pizza Bites
- 12 mini sweet peppers, washed and dried
- 1 cup pizza sauce, 1 tablespoon per mini pepper halves
- 1¼ cups shredded mozzarella, freshly shredded melts best
- 74 mini pepperoni slices
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Slice the mini peppers in ½ long ways. Remove seeds, but keep the stem intact.
- Depending on the size of the halved peppers, spoon 1½ teaspoons or up to ½ tablespoon of pizza sauce into the pepper half.
- Sprinkle 1½ to 2 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Again, depending on the size of the halved peppers, top the shredded mozzarella with 3 to 4 slices of mini pepperoni on each of the halved peppers.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Serve while warm.
- For best results, use mini sweet peppers that are on the larger size or “fatter” for better stuffing.
- Leaving the stems on makes for a pretty presentation and makes it easier to pick up the peppers to enjoy them.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your peppers at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Taco Pizza
- Pizza Casserole with Biscuits
- Pizza Muffins
- Pull Apart Pizza Bread
- Pizza Pockets
- Pizza Dough Recipe
- Upside Down Pizza
- Rectangle School Pizza
- Air Fryer Pizzas
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Frozen Pizza in Air Fryer
- Campfire Pizza