Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
The Oklahoma onion burger is one of America’s best regional burgers. This classic diner fare is made from a hamburger patty with a whole lot of sliced onion smashed into the meat. As it cooks, the onions infuse into the meat and the meat juices coat the onions to create one amazing patty of oniony deliciousness!
Our secret ingredient burger sauce makes the perfect addition to these fried onion burgers. It also tastes great as a dip for your fries. We like to serve this Oklahoma fried onion burger recipe with Home Fries and Grilled Corn on the Cob.
INGREDIENTS for OKLAHOMA FRIED ONION BURGERS
You will need:
FOR THE HAMBURGER
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin cut half-moon shapes
- Sliced American cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked bacon, optional
- Pickle chips, optional
- Hamburger buns
FOR THE SECRET INGREDIENT BURGER SAUCE
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of dill pickle juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
GROUND BEEF: Other ground meats such as lamb or venison could be used instead of beef if you prefer
SLICED AMERICAN CHEESE: Don’t like American cheese?Try cheddar cheese slices instead
BACON: Fried bacon goes well with almost all burgers and the Oklahoma burger is no exception
DILL PICKLES: Add a few dill pickles to each burger for an extra tangy taste. Or don’t. Pickles aren’t for everyone.
HOW TO MAKE this OKLAHOMA FRIED ONION BURGERS recipe
STEP ONE: Make the burger sauce by whisking together all the secret burger sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Heat a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and sliced onion. Stir.
STEP THREE: Divide the ground beef into four equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and then use your hands to flatten it into a patty. Season both sides of hamburger patties with salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR: Place the hamburger patties directly on top of the onions in the skillet. Apply pressure with your spatula to press the hamburgers and onions together.
STEP FIVE: Cook the burgers until browned on one side, then flip and cook until brown on the other side. Remove from the skillet.
STEP SIX: Build the burgers with the bottom bun, burger and onions, cheese, secret sauce and finally the top bun.
STEP SEVEN: Add optional bacon and pickles if using them.
STEP EIGHT: Serve and enjoy!
IN THE FRIDGE: Oklahoma onion burger patties can be refrigerated and eaten up to 24 hours after cooking. Be sure to heat your burger thoroughly before placing it into a fresh bun.
IN THE FREEZER: Cooked Oklahoma onion burger patties freeze well, maintaining their flavor for up to three months. Wrap carefully in foil or Saran wrap, before placing into an airtight container. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
Some of the most famous fried onion burgers come from Sid’s Diner in El Reno, Oklahoma. But before you jump in the car and for an epic road trip, be sure to give this homemade Oklahoma burger recipe a try. We’re sure that you won’t be disappointed.
more recipes you’ll love
Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers
For the hamburger
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion sliced into thin cut half moon shapes
- american cheese sliced
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- bacon cooked (optional)
- pickle chips optional
- hamburger buns
For the secret ingredients burger sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp dill pickle juice
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine all secret ingredient burger sauce ingredients. Use a small whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add vegetable oil and onions. Stir to coat onions in oil.
- Divide ground beef into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and then use your hands to flatten into a patty. Season both sides of hamburger patties with salt and pepper.
- Place the hamburger patties directly on top of the onions. Push down with your spatula to press the hamburgers and onions together.
- Let cook until browned on one side. Flip over and let cook until browned on the other side.
- Remove the hamburger and onions from the skillet and place on the bottom buns.
- Add a slice of american cheese, and spread the secret ingredient burger sauce on the top bun. Add optional bacon and pickles if using them.
- Serve and enjoy!