January 26, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
The Oklahoma onion burger is one of America’s best regional burgers, made from a hamburger patty with a whole lot of sliced onions smashed into the meat. As it cooks, the onions infuse into the meat, and the meat juices coat the onions to create one amazing patty of oniony deliciousness!
Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger Ingredients
For the Hamburger:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin-cut half-moon shapes
- Sliced American cheese
- ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked bacon, optional
- Pickle chips, optional
- Hamburger buns
For the Secret Burger Sauce:
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- ⅛ cup of ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon of dill pickle juice
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground black pepper
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
GROUND BEEF: Other ground meats such as lamb or venison could be used instead of beef for these onion burgers if you prefer.
SLICED AMERICAN CHEESE: Don’t like American cheese? Try cheddar cheese slices instead.
BACON: Fried bacon goes well with almost all burgers, and the Oklahoma burger is no exception.
DILL PICKLES: Add a few dill pickles to the top of the burger for an extra tangy taste. Or don’t. Pickles aren’t for everyone.
How To Make This Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers Recipe
STEP ONE: Make the burger sauce by whisking together all the secret burger sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and sliced onion. Stir.
If you choose to mix the meat with your bare hands, I highly recommend using disposable gloves. That way, you reduce the risk of cross-contamination, and it’s a lot less messy.
STEP THREE: Divide the hamburger meat into four equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and then use your hands to flatten it into a patty. Season both sides of hamburger patties with salt and pepper.
Handle the meat as little as you possibly can. The more you work the meat, the tougher it will get.
STEP FOUR: Place the hamburger patties directly on top of the onions in the hot skillet. Apply pressure with your spatula to press the hamburgers and onions together.
STEP FIVE: Cook the burgers until browned on one side, then flip and cook until brown on the second side. Remove from the skillet.
STEP SIX: Build the burgers with the bottom bun, burger and onions, slice of cheese, secret sauce, and finally, the top bun.
STEP SEVEN: Add the optional bacon and pickles if using them.
STEP EIGHT: Serve and enjoy!
How To Serve
Enjoy this perfectly cooked burger with a side of home fries and grilled corn on the cob. Our secret ingredient burger sauce makes the perfect addition to these fried onion burgers. It also tastes great as a dip for your fries.
IN THE FRIDGE: Oklahoma onion burger patties can be refrigerated and eaten up to 24 hours after cooking. Be sure to heat your burger thoroughly before placing it into a fresh bun.
IN THE FREEZER: Cooked Oklahoma onion beef patties freeze well, maintaining their flavor for up to three months. Wrap carefully in foil or Saran wrap, before placing them into an airtight container. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
Some of the most famous fried onion burgers come from Sid’s Diner in El Reno, Oklahoma. But before you jump in the car for an epic road trip, be sure to give this homemade Oklahoma onion burger recipe a try. We’re sure that you won’t be disappointed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
These Oklahoma-style onion burgers will work fine with any ground meat you have on hand.
You can add finely diced onions, grated cheese, or other ingredients to the meat mixture before frying.
You can freeze the uncooked burgers separated by waxed paper for up to three months. Thaw and throw them in the pan.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Grilled Potatoes
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Pork Fried Rice
- Chili Cheese Fries
- French Onion Pork Chops
- Cheeseburger Pie
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Fried Pickles
- Dirty Fries
Oklahoma Onion Burger
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin-cut half-moon shapes
- American cheese sliced
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- bacon, cooked (optional)
- pickle chips, optional
- hamburger buns
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅛ cup ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon dill pickle juice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all secret ingredient burger sauce ingredients. Use a small whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add vegetable oil and onions. Stir to coat onions in oil.
- Divide ground beef into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and then use your hands to flatten into a patty. Season both sides of hamburger patties with salt and pepper.
- Place the hamburger patties directly on top of the onions. Push down with your spatula to press the hamburgers and onions together.
- Let cook until browned on one side. Flip over and let cook until browned on the other side.
- Remove the hamburger and onions from the skillet and place on the bottom buns.
- Add a slice of American cheese, and spread the secret ingredient burger sauce on the top bun. Add the optional bacon and pickles if using them.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you choose to mix the meat with your bare hands, I highly recommend using disposable gloves. That way, you reduce the risk of cross-contamination, and it’s a lot less messy.
- Handle the meat as little as you possibly can. The more you work the meat, the tougher it will get.