October 26, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This no-bake peppermint pie is Christmas on a pie plate! An Oreo cookie crust is filled with a mixture of light and fluffy whipped cream, cream cheese, peppermints, and powdered sugar and then topped with even more whipped cream and crushed peppermints.
Peppermint Pie Ingredients
This peppermint pie recipe offers a delightful blend of creamy and minty flavors.
The key ingredients include peppermint candy canes for a refreshing crunch and peppermint extract for a cool kick, this festive and indulgent dessert is perfect for holiday gatherings.
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1½ cups of powdered sugar
- Two (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 10 drops of red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- ½ cup of peppermint candy canes or mints, crushed
- 2 Oreo pie crusts
- 16 ounces of Cool Whip
- Crushed peppermint candy for decoration on top of the pie
A ready-to-go Oreo crust serves as our base in this simple recipe. I prefer picking mine up at the grocery store, but you could also make the chocolate cookie crust from scratch if you’d like.
Substitutions And Additions
WHIPPED CREAM: You can use store-bought Cool Whip in this no-bake peppermint pie, or check out our homemade stabilized whipped cream recipe.
PEPPERMINT EXTRACT: If you want a milder mint flavor, you can reduce the amount of peppermint extract or replace it with spearmint extract for a different twist on the pie’s mintiness.
VANILLA EXTRACT: While vanilla extract adds depth, you can try almond extract for a nuttier undertone or even a touch of rum or bourbon for a more adult twist.
RED FOOD COLORING: The red food coloring is purely for visual appeal. Feel free to skip it or use natural food coloring if you prefer a more natural-looking pie.
PEPPERMINT CANDY CANES: Experiment with different types of candies like butterscotch or toffee bits for a unique crunch, or use crushed nuts for added texture and flavor.
How To Make This Candy Cane Pie Recipe
Once you make the minty filling for this tasty pie, spread it in the pie crust and give it lots of time to chill. You’ll be ready to dig in before you know it.
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the powdered sugar and cream cheese.
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with lumps in your pie filling.
STEP THREE: Add the food coloring, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture and mix until a uniform color.
STEP FOUR: Mix in half a cup of crushed candy canes with the cream cheese/powdered sugar.
STEP FIVE: Add the powdered sugar/cream cheese mixture to the bowl of heavy whipping cream and mix together at low speed until combined.
STEP SIX: Pour half the pie filling mixture into each of the chocolate pie crusts.
If you use a store-bought chocolate crumb crust that comes in a foil pie pan, we’d suggest placing the whole thing (crust and foil pan) inside a glass pie plate to help with stability.
STEP SEVEN: Top your delicious pie with Cool Whip and crushed peppermint. Chill for one to two hours or until ready to serve.
How To Serve
Serve this perfect dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side for a fun and minty holiday treat.
For a contrast in temperatures and textures, serve your candy cane pie with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream.
Storing This Candy Cane Pie
Whether you plan to make the pie ahead for a special occasion or have some leftovers, here’s what you need to know:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning ahead, you can prepare your candy cane pie a day in advance.
Simply cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator.
This will allow the flavors to meld together and make it even more delicious.
IN THE FRIDGE: Keep this peppermint pie recipe covered in plastic wrap for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: This recipe won’t freeze very well, so we recommend gobbling it up soon after you make it.
Why We Love This Recipe
FESTIVE FLAVOR FUSION: This pie brings together the classic holiday flavors of peppermint and chocolate in a delightful and refreshing way, making it a perfect dessert for the festive season.
CREAMY AND DREAMY: The creamy filling, thanks to cream cheese and Cool Whip, creates a luscious, melt-in-your-mouth experience that’s both indulgent and satisfying.
EASY TO MAKE: With step-by-step instructions and readily available ingredients, this recipe is approachable for novice bakers, ensuring that anyone can whip up a delicious homemade dessert.
This Christmas holidays, I bet you’ll find yourself making this easy peppermint pie several times. It’s a fast, tasty option to serve guests or to take to a party. Not only is it delicious, but I also love the bright, beautiful colors!
Frequently Asked Questions
This no-bake pie won’t freeze very well so it is best to eat it up within a few days of making it.
This delicious dessert would also be amazing with a graham cracker crust instead of the chocolate crust.
If you want to tone down the peppermint flavor a touch, you can leave out the peppermint extract without affecting the flavor of the pie.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Turtle Chocolates
- No-Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Toffee
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Frozen Oreo Dessert
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Oreo Milkshake
- Candy Cane Dessert
- Reindeer Food
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Cool Whip Candy
- Millionaire Pie
- Dole Whip
- Christmas Mints
- Lemon Custard Pie
- Snowmen Truffles
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Cotton Candy Ice Cream
- Mint Brownies
- Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
- Christmas Vanilla Roll Cake
- Pie Crust Recipe
- Candy Cane Cupcakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (two 8-ounce packages)
- 10 drops red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup peppermint candy canes or mints crushed
- 2 Oreo pie crusts
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- Crushed peppermint candy, for decoration
- In a large bowl whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside
- In a medium bowl cream together the powdered sugar and cream cheese.
- Add the food coloring, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese/powdered sugar bowl and mix until a uniform color.
- Mix in the ½ cup of peppermint candy bits with the cream cheese/powdered sugar.
- Add the powdered sugar/cream cheese mixture to the bowl of heavy whipping cream and mix together on low speed until combined.
- Pour half of the filling mixture into each of the Oreo crusts.
- Top pie with Cool Whip and crushed peppermint. Chill for 1 to 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- A ready-to-go Oreo crust serves as our base in this simple recipe. I prefer picking mine up at the grocery store, but you could also make the chocolate cookie crust from scratch if you’d like.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with lumps in your pie filling.
- If you use a store-bought chocolate crumb crust that comes in a foil pie pan, we’d suggest placing the whole thing (crust and foil pan) inside a glass pie plate to help with stability.