October 25, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Ingredients
- Substitutions And Additions For Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
- How To Make This Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe
- How To Serve Peppermint Cookies
- Storing Peppermint Cookies For Christmas
- Frequently Asked Questions About Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- EVEN MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
These delicious chocolate peppermint cookies are the perfect marriage of peppermint and chocolate flavors, and do not disappoint! Rich, fudgy brownie cookies flavored with peppermint and studded with melty chocolate chips and crunchy peppermint candies make this a treat that you won’t be able to resist.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Ingredients
Chocolate peppermint cookies are a delicious holiday treat that you can enjoy all year round.
Melty semi-sweet chocolate chips paired with crunchy, refreshing peppermint pieces create an indulgent balance of textures.
These enchanting treats will make your taste buds sing with pleasure!
To make these delectable cookies, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract
- ½ cup of semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup of crushed peppermint candy (about 3 peppermint candy canes or 15 peppermints)
Substitutions And Additions For Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
COCOA POWDER: I used regular cocoa powder, but Dutch cocoa powder can also be used for these double chocolate cookies.
CHOCOLATE: Semi-sweet chocolate chips give the perfect amount of sweetness and balance the cocoa powder.
But for a less sweet, richer flavor, dark chocolate may be used. You can also use chocolate chunks instead of chips in this chocolate peppermint cookie recipe.
PEPPERMINT: You can use crushed candy canes or round peppermint candies.
You can also use already crushed candy pieces, peppermint crunch, or chopped peppermint Andes mints in your peppermint chocolate chip cookies recipe.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure that your butter is at room temperature. It is important that it is soft so that it mixes well into the ingredients. The softened butter also helps the cookies spread properly.
How To Make This Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe
These cookies are as easy to make as any classic cookie dough. Once they come out of the oven, add crunchy peppermint pieces and even more chocolate chips for extra decadence.
To make these yummy treats, follow our step-by-step instructions below.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
STEP TWO: Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set flour mixture aside.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed using an electric hand mixer.
Beat for 2 minutes, until light and creamy.
STEP FOUR: Scrape the sides, then add the egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Beat for an additional minute.
Peppermint is a potent flavoring, so a little peppermint extract goes a long way!
STEP FIVE: Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
STEP SIX: Use a large cookie scoop to shape dough into 3 tablespoon-sized balls.
STEP SEVEN: Place cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake for 7 to 9 minutes until the top of the cookie has a dry appearance.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cookies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
STEP EIGHT: Remove cookies from the oven. Immediately sprinkle crushed peppermints over the baked cookies.
You can also press in additional chocolate chips if desired.
To give your double chocolate peppermint cookies a bakery-like appearance, strategically place some peppermint pieces with the red stripes facing up and press additional chocolate chips into the cookies.
STEP NINE: Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
How To Serve Peppermint Cookies
During Christmas, these peppermint cookies become even more special and can be a delightful addition to your festive celebrations. Here are some suggestions on how to serve them:
Festive Platter: Create a beautiful Christmas platter by arranging the chocolate peppermint cookies alongside other seasonal treats like gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies in festive shapes, and peppermint bark.
These chocolate chip peppermint cookies would also pair well with our Christmas shortbread cookies.
The combination of flavors and textures will offer a delightful assortment for your guests to enjoy.
Decorate the platter with sprigs of fresh mint or crushed candy canes for an added touch of holiday cheer.
Cookie Exchange: Host a Christmas cookie exchange party and include these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies as one of the featured treats.
Encourage your guests to bring their favorite holiday cookies, and everyone can swap and share their creations.
Gift Giving: Package these cookies in decorative boxes or bags tied with festive ribbons to create delightful homemade Christmas gifts.
They make perfect presents for friends, family, neighbors, or coworkers.
Consider adding a personalized touch by including a handwritten recipe card or a note about the cookie’s flavors and why it’s a favorite during the Christmas season.
Christmas Dessert Table: Incorporate these cookies into your Christmas dessert table as a sweet and festive treat.
Set them alongside other holiday desserts such as Yule logs, fruitcakes, and peppermint brownies.
The combination of flavors and textures will provide a variety of options for your guests to enjoy, making your dessert table a true showcase of Christmas indulgence.
Hot Cocoa Bar: Create a cozy and inviting hot cocoa bar during your Christmas gatherings, and feature these chocolate peppermint cookies as a delicious accompaniment.
Set out a selection of hot cocoa flavors, marshmallows, whipped cream, and crushed candy canes.
Storing Peppermint Cookies For Christmas
You’ll want to make sure these peppermint cookies stay fresh and delicious for as long as possible. Here’s a guide on how to store them, whether you plan to enjoy them immediately or save them for later.
MAKE AHEAD: If you want to get a head start on your holiday baking or simply want to plan ahead, you can make the dough for these peppermint chocolate cookies in advance of Christmas.
After preparing the dough according to the recipe instructions, shape it into a log and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
You can refrigerate the dough log for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to bake, simply slice the chilled or thawed dough into rounds and bake as directed.
This way, you can enjoy freshly baked cookies with minimal effort and time.
IN THE FRIDGE: To keep your baked chocolate peppermint cookies fresh for longer, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cool temperature of the fridge helps maintain their texture and flavor.
Properly stored, these cookies will stay fresh for up to 1 week. Just make sure to place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between layers to prevent them from sticking together.
IN THE FREEZER: If you have more cookies than you can enjoy within a week or want to save some for later, freezing them is a great option.
Once the cookies have completely cooled, place them in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
These cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months without any significant loss in quality.
When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply remove the desired amount from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
If you prefer warm cookies, you can reheat them in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), place the thawed cookies on a baking sheet, and bake for about 5 minutes until they are warm and fragrant.
This step will help revive their crispy texture and intensify the aroma of chocolate and peppermint.
REHEATING: To reheat a single cookie or a small number of cookies, the microwave is a convenient option. Place the desired amount on a microwave-safe plate and heat them on high for 10 to 15 seconds.
Be cautious not to overheat, as this can cause the chocolate to melt excessively.
Check the cookie’s warmth and continue microwaving in 5-second intervals if needed. Remember, microwaving may affect the cookie’s texture slightly, but it’s a quick way to enjoy a warm treat.
By following these storage tips, you can ensure that your chocolate peppermint cookies remain fresh and delightful, whether you make them ahead of time, store them in the fridge, or freeze them for later.
Imagine the taste of rich chocolate flavor complemented by peppermint’s cool, refreshing flavor. These rich chocolate peppermint cookies are sure to get your taste buds tingling with anticipation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
This peppermint chocolate cookies recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
I recommend sifting to break up the cocoa powder, so there aren’t any clumps in your batch of chocolate cookies with peppermint recipe. If you want to skip this step, take care to mix the powder in well and break up any large pieces.
These peppermint chocolate cookies are baked right away, no refrigeration needed! If you want to make the dough in advance, it can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Set the dough on the counter for 30 minutes before baking, or it will not spread.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Twix Cookies
- Apple Pie Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Almond Joy Cookies
- Cherry Cheesecake Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Blueberry Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Orange Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Halloween Sugar Cookies
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Maple Cookies
- Secret Kiss Cookies
- Coffee Cookies
- Lemon Raspberry Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy, about 3 candy canes or 15 peppermints
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed using an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes, until light and creamy.
- Scrape the sides, then add the egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Beat for an additional minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion into 3 tablespoon-sized balls.
- Place cookie dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake for 7 to 9 minutes until the top of the cookie has a dry appearance.
- Remove from the oven. Immediately sprinkle crushed peppermints over the cookies. You can also press in additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Make sure that your butter is at room temperature. It is important that it is soft so that it mixes well into the ingredients. The softened butter also helps the cookies spread properly.
- Peppermint is a potent flavoring, so a little peppermint extract goes a long way!
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your cookies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
- To give your double chocolate peppermint cookies a bakery-like appearance, strategically place some peppermint pieces with the red stripes facing up and press additional chocolate chips into the cookies.
EVEN MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- M&M Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Trifle
- Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
- Candy Cane Shortbread Cookies
- Peppermint Cheesecakes
- Peppermint Meltaways
- Christmas Crunch
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Christmas Fudge
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rocky Road Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Hearts
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- DoubleTree Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies