December 28, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Satisfy your chocolate cravings and delight your taste buds with this irresistible Oreo muffin recipe. With a perfect balance of cocoa and Oreo crunch, these muffins are a yummy treat that will leave you wanting more; get ready to experience chocolate heaven!
Oreo Muffin Ingredients
The rich cocoa flavor comes from adding cocoa powder, while the vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of the muffins, adding a delightful aroma and taste.
Adding both buttermilk and sour cream to the batter keeps these muffins incredibly moist and tender and adds a slightly tangy flavor.
The delicious morsels of chocolate chips add pockets of melty chocolate goodness to every bite.
The star ingredient is the crushed Oreo cookies, giving a satisfying crunch and infusing the muffins with that unmistakable Oreo flavor.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1½ cups of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1½ cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, reserve a few for topping the muffins
- 2 cups of crushed Oreo cookies, divided in half
Substitutions And Additions
FLOUR: For a gluten-free option, you can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend instead of regular all-purpose flour.
Make sure it’s specifically formulated for baking. Experiment with different types of flour, such as whole wheat flour or almond flour, for a unique flavor and texture.
COCOA POWDER: If you prefer a milder chocolate flavor, you can use Dutch-processed cocoa powder instead of unsweetened cocoa powder.
It will give the muffins a smoother and less intense chocolate taste.
BUTTERMILK: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can create a substitute by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar with one cup of milk.
Let it sit for a few minutes until it curdles, and then use it instead of buttermilk.
SOUR CREAM: Greek yogurt can be used as a substitute for sour cream if you prefer that flavor profile.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Get creative with the chocolate chips! Try using white chocolate, dark chocolate, or a combination of different types of chocolate chips.
You can also add additional mix-ins like chopped nuts or dried fruit.
OREO COOKIES: While the recipe calls for crushed Oreo cookies, you can experiment with different flavors of Oreos to create unique variations.
Mint, peanut butter, or even birthday cake-flavored Oreos can add an exciting twist to your muffins.
How To Make This Oreo Muffin Recipe
Get ready to embark on a delightful baking adventure as we walk through the steps of creating these heavenly Oreo muffins.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Before diving into the recipe, gather all the necessary ingredients and ensure they are at room temperature. This helps with better ingredient incorporation and even baking.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
STEP THREE: In a separate bowl, beat or whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and sour cream.
STEP FOUR: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together just until combined. There should be lumps in the batter.
STEP FIVE: Fold in the chocolate chips and half of the Oreo pieces, reserving a few of the chocolate chips and the remaining Oreos to top the muffins.
STEP SIX: Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each liner three-quarters of the way full.
Top each muffin with a few chocolate chips and some crushed Oreos.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your muffins at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
STEP EIGHT: Cool muffins in the muffin pan for five minutes. Remove muffins to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Do not leave the muffins to cool in the baking pan. The heat from the pan will continue to cook them, and they will dry out.
How To Serve
These Oreo muffins are perfect on their own. They are moist, chocolatey, and packed with delightful Oreo surprises. Simply grab a muffin and indulge in its rich flavors.
Serve these fluffy muffins alongside a cup of hot coffee or a refreshing glass of milk for a delightful breakfast or brunch.
Transform these muffins into a decadent dessert by pairing them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Top it off with some crushed Oreo cookies for an indulgent and irresistible Oreo muffin sundae.
Pack these muffins in your or your child’s lunchbox for a delightful snack during the day. They make for a convenient and satisfying on-the-go treat.
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
After baking these irresistible Oreo muffins, you may find yourself with leftovers or want to prepare them ahead of time. Here’s how you can store and preserve the muffins for future enjoyment.
MAKE AHEAD: If you need to prepare these muffins in advance, you can store the batter in the refrigerator overnight.
Simply cover the batter tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container.
When you’re ready to bake, gently stir the batter before portioning it into the muffin tins.
IN THE FRIDGE: To store the baked Oreo muffins, place them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
The muffins can be kept in the refrigerator for two to three days. However, keep in mind that refrigeration may slightly alter their texture.
IN THE FREEZER: For longer storage, you can freeze the Oreo muffins. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bags.
They can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen muffins, let them thaw at room temperature or warm them in the microwave or oven.
If using the microwave, heat them in short intervals to prevent overheating.
REHEATING: To reheat the muffins, you have a few options:
- MICROWAVE: Place a muffin on a microwave-safe plate and heat it for about 20-30 seconds on medium power. Check the muffin’s temperature and continue reheating in short intervals if needed.
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the muffins on a baking sheet and warm them for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- ROOM TEMPERATURE: If you prefer to enjoy the muffins at room temperature, simply let them sit at room temperature until they are no longer chilled.
Why We Love This Recipe
Get ready to fall in love with these fluffy Oreo muffins. Here’s why we can’t get enough of this delightful recipe:
IRRESISTIBLE FLAVOR: These muffins combine the rich and decadent flavors of chocolate and Oreos. Each bite is a blend of sweetness and cocoa goodness that will delight Oreo lovers.
MOIST AND TENDER TEXTURE: Thanks to the addition of sour cream, these muffins turn out incredibly moist, soft, and tender. They practically melt in your mouth.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY: These muffins freeze well, allowing you to prepare them in advance or save leftovers for future indulgence. They retain their delicious taste and texture even after freezing.
The delightful crunch of crushed Oreo cookies, the pockets of melty chocolate chips, and the rich cocoa flavor make this Oreo muffin recipe a true crowd-pleaser. Whether you enjoy them on their own, pair them with ice cream, or incorporate them into creative desserts, these muffins will satisfy your cravings.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s best to stick to all-purpose flour for this recipe, as self-rising flour contains leavening agents that may alter the texture of the muffins.
While melted butter adds a rich flavor, you can substitute vegetable oil in equal amounts if desired. Keep in mind that it may affect the taste and texture slightly.
You can use store-bought crushed cookies or crush them yourself with either a rolling pin or in the food processor. Just make sure they are finely crushed for even distribution in the batter.
You can adjust the baking time for mini muffins. Start with a shorter baking time, around 12 to 15 minutes, and check for doneness with a toothpick.
If you want to make a larger batch, you can double the ingredients accordingly. Ensure you have enough muffin tins, or bake the muffins in batches.
If you’re not a fan of chocolate chips, you can omit them from the recipe. Alternatively, you can replace them with white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or even chopped nuts for added texture.
Regular-sized Oreo cookies can be used instead of mini Oreos. Simply crush them to the desired consistency and use them in the recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- Air Fried Oreos
- Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- Oreo Mug Cake
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, reserve a few for topping the muffins
- 2 cups crushed Oreo cookies, divided in half
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat or whisk together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and sour cream.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together, just until combined. There should be lumps in the batter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and half of the Oreo pieces, reserving a few of the chocolate chips and the remaining Oreos to top the muffins.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each liner ¾ of the way full. Top each muffin with a few chocolate chips and some Oreo pieces.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Before diving into the recipe, gather all the necessary ingredients and ensure they are at room temperature. This helps with better ingredient incorporation and even baking.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your muffins at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
- Do not leave the muffins to cool in the baking pan. The heat from the pan will continue to cook them, and they will dry out.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Lemon Cobbler
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Deep Fried Oreos
- Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Donut Sandwich
- Oreo Bundt Cake
- Vanilla Brownies
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Magic Bars