This Deep-fried Oreos recipe delivers a delicious, gooey bite that is a perfect copycat of the iconic fair favorite. Easy to make with pancake mix, an egg, and milk, these fluffy bite-sized treats are sure to be a blue ribbon winner at home.
Ingredients for Deep Fried Oreos
You will need:
- 1 quart of vegetable oil
- 1 package of Double Stuffed Oreos
- 1 ½ cups of Bisquick
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup of whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
MILK: While Oreos are dairy-free to begin with, to eliminate the milk from the fried oreo batter you could simply replace the milk in the pancake mix with water. Just be aware that the batter will not be quite as creamy as it would have been otherwise.
OREOS: For a tasty twist, try using different flavors of Oreo cookies as the foundation for this recipe. Oreo makes so many fun and delicious flavors from Red Velvet and Birthday Cake to Mint or Peanut Butter flavors. You can also create a perfect party tray by using a variety!
PANCAKE MIX: While our preference is Bisquick for the best fried dough, you can use any brand of pancake mix or a favorite homemade mix if you have one. Crescent rolls can also be used to wrap the cookie before frying for a simple alternative.
How to Make Deep Fried Oreos
STEP ONE: Heat oil in a large dutch oven to 350 degrees. Make sure to test the temperature of your oil. If it is too hot your deep fried oreos will burn!
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Add the pancake mix and whisk until no lumps remain.
STEP THREE: Using a large spoon, dip the oreo into the batter and turn over to ensure it is fully coated. Then, scoop up the Oreo and a spoonful of pancake batter.
PRO TIP: While you can use a fork inserted into the Oreo, this method of using a spoon allows for a more even coating and less breakage, resulting in a fully enclosed and puffy dough around the cookie.
STEP FOUR: Slowly put the batter covered Oreo into the oil. As you are lowering the spoon into the oil, turn it over so that the oreo is on the bottom and the extra batter ends up on the top.
STEP FIVE: Then, let the Oreo cook for about 30-60 seconds (depending how hot your oil is), or until the Oreo has turned golden brown.
STEP SIX: Cook the Oreos in batches of 2-3 at a time, and keep an eye on your oil temperature.
PRO TIP: As you are frying up your Oreos, be sure to pick out any pieces of batter that have fallen off into the oil. They will burn and make the Oreos taste burnt.
STEP SEVEN: Remove the Fried Oreos to a paper-lined plate. Then, sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve immediately while the creme filling is still hot!
Can you Make Fried Oreos in the Air Fryer?
To make fried Oreos in the air fryer, you will follow the preparation instructions above, but when it comes time to put the Oreos in the oil, you will put them into the air fryer instead.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Put your battered Oreos into an air fryer basket that has been lined with parchment paper. Then, cook the Oreos for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip them, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until they are golden brown.
The texture and final product will be a bit different than if you fry them using oil.
STORING AND REHEATING
Ideally, you should eat fried Oreos right away. They are best when they are hot and fresh to enjoy the melted center. They will get soggy if they sit for too long, or if they cool off and have to be reheated.
An all-time fair favorite, this Deep Fried Oreos recipe makes it easy to get that warm, gooey carnival experience with simple ingredients like pancake mix, milk, and an egg—all from the comfort of your own kitchen.
More dessert REcipes You’Ll Love
Deep Fried Oreos
- 1 qt vegetable oil
- 1 package Double Stuffed Oreos
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven to 350 degrees. Test the temperature—if it is too hot your Oreos will burn!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Add the pancake mix and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Using a large spoon, dip the Oreo into the batter and turn over to ensure it is fully coated. Then, scoop up the Oreo and a spoonful of pancake batter.
- Slowly put the batter covered Oreo into the oil. As you are lowering the spoon into the oil, turn it over so that the oreo is on the bottom and the extra batter ends up on the top.
- Cook the Oreo for about 30-60 seconds (depending how hot your oil is), or until the Oreo hasturned golden brown.
- Remove the Fried Oreos to a paper-lined plate. Then, sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve immediately while the creme filling is still hot.