facebook pixel

Party Food

The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe

By  |

How to make the Ultimate Egg Salad Sandwich

You are about to become the recipient of the best egg salad sandwich recipe in the world. I promise.

I’ve had so many people tell me they made this egg salad recipe for their significant other and now they are not allowed to make any other version of the sandwich.

It is that good.

It makes you want to throw caution to the wind and dig in face first into this egg salad sandwich…even if the whole world is looking at you. They’re probably just wanting to taste it for themselves anyway. 🙂

There have been many debates over what ingredients to put into healthy boiled egg salad (And even is egg salad? My opinion is yes.).

In the spirit of being open minded, I’ll agree we are all entitled to our favorite add-ins.

The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe

It’s just that some ingredients taste better so why would you mess with perfection?

However…

If you want to go all creative, there are a few acceptable options I’d consider for deluxe servings without much cooking.

———-

RELATED: Sandwich-lovers – Grilled to golden perfection, this classic tuna melt sandwich is absolutely delicious.

———-

Whether you opt for rich and creamy or crisp and crunchy, I think you’ll like these ideas because fresh flavors always add a little brightness to meal time.

Ingredients for the Best Egg Salad Sandwich

What do you put in Egg Salad?

• Mayo…or Not – Of course use your favorite brand of mayonnaise (or homemade) unless you’re just not a fan. Then my suggestion is substitute plain Greek yogurt.
  • Avocado – Slice it or dice it; avocado adds something wonderful to an egg salad sandwich.
  • Bacon – Ahh, yes. You must. Bacon makes the world go ‘round. Especially when it is crisp.
  • Egg Salad Wrap – Substitute a flour tortilla (wheat or spelt) for croissants. Spring roll wrappers are awesome, too. Or go the veggie route: wrap the egg salad in romaine lettuce leaves, kale, or collard greens.
  • Egg White Salad – Want to nix the yolk? Simply make Egg White Salad instead. Might I suggest adding sliced black olives and avocado if you do? Yum!
  • Egg Salad with Relish – A couple of teaspoons of sweet pickle relish adds magic.

Cream Cheese in Egg Salad Sandwiches

Stick with the classic pairings if you’re going for comfort food. But if you want to experiment, some like to add diced celery, scallions, and parsley too. Include about a teaspoon of lemon juice for a tangy flavoring.

A few sliced radishes add a spicy note as well as appealing color. Add a bit of curry powder, cayenne, or jalapeno if you’re really feeling adventurous.

How long do you boil eggs for an egg salad sandwich?

Another issue of paramount importance in building the best egg salad sandwich is how long do you boil eggs for egg salad? I have a couple of ideas on that.

First is the method found here. I’ve used it successfully for a while.

And then there’s this method that I’ve recently tested. I think it might be an even better option because the shells peel off very easily and I rarely lose any of the egg:

1. Boil about a half-inch to an inch of water, whichever amount would barely come through your steamer insert.
  2. Place cold eggs from the fridge into a steamer insert and set the steamer in the boiling water.
  3. Boil for 3-5 minutes. I go with the greater time because I do not like soft yolks.
  4. Turn off the burner but let the pan and eggs set there for about 15 minutes.
  5. Plunge eggs into an ice bath.
  6. Crack the egg shells, easily peel, and proceed with your recipe.

Easy Egg Salad Recipe

I think completely cooled egg salad tastes the best.

In a covered container (and without the bread, wraps, etc.,) egg salad can be kept in the fridge for about three days. If you can restrain yourself.

Best Recipe for Egg Salad Sandwiches

Anything in the kitchen that saves time and yields something as delicious as this classic egg salad sandwich recipe is on my Always List.

Fresh, cool egg salad sandwiches are wonderful for summer meals and picnics. Dig in!

Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe

The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe

You're about to make the best egg salad sandwich ever! Cheddar and cream cheese, a little mayonnaise, and bacon with a few diced chives sandwiched in there create the most delectable egg salad sandwich.
5 from 17 votes

• 4 pieces of cooked bacon
  • 2 T chives
  • ¼ cup shredded cheddar
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 3 T mayonnaise
  • ½ t salt
  • ¼ t fresh cracked pepper
  • 6 croissants

Instructions

• In a small bowl, mash together cream cheese, mayo, chives, salt and pepper.
  • In a large bowl, use a pastry cutter to mash up eggs. Finely chop the bacon and add to eggs.
  • Add shredded cheddar and cream cheese mixture to eggs and bacon. Mix together until everything is mixed really well and eggs are covered in cream cheese.
  • Serve on croissants with spinach.

Video

Nutrition

Calories: 505kcal
Tried this recipe?Follow me on Pinterest @spaceshipslb

The Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
Stephanie Keeping

Stephanie is in love with a boy named Sam. He has taught her that it's okay to jump first and look later, to wear a dirty shirt to the park and to decide that today is a good day to take a nap in your rubber boots. She hangs out here blogging at Spaceships and Laser Beams and at our printable party shop on Etsy.

42 Comments

1. Hannah Griffin

May 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

This Egg Salad is the best I have ever had!

• Dolores Hansen Nelson

August 9, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Try a little horseradish, curry, or guacamole. It’s fun to get creative with egg salad. I always use finely chopped celery for crunch and a little green onion also.

2. Tin

May 17, 2018 at 11:21 am

It was my first time to make cooled egg salad and results —tadaa love it!

3. Vikki Dooley

May 30, 2018 at 7:12 am

Great sounding egg salad n will definitely be trying this. Looks great. Thanks for sharing

• Norma Martin

July 1, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Gonna try now

4. Danielle

June 28, 2018 at 9:30 pm

I do Deviled Egg Salad with Yellow, Spicy, and Dijon mustard and mayo, one tbs. each for each egg. Everyone LOVES it, and this is the extent of my cooking talent.

• Roger Briggs

July 18, 2018 at 11:20 pm

I do the same: mustard of some type, mayo, GARLIC, and pepper.

5. Sandee

July 1, 2018 at 1:57 am

Looks good. I have never used cream cheese with my egg however it sounds tasty. I look forward to trying this egg salad recipe.

6. Sue LANDIS

July 1, 2018 at 7:27 pm

I much prefer eggs not chunky but done on a grater! Did it once and have never gone back……the taste is so much better and much more appealing to the eye!

7. Brianna

July 2, 2018 at 4:26 pm

I made this last night for today and tomorrow’s lunch. It was easy, delicious, and extremely filling. I will NEVER make egg salad without bacon and cream cheese again!

8. Marcela

July 2, 2018 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe!! I made it and it was scrumptious!!

9. Patricia Cannan

July 2, 2018 at 5:27 pm

I add shredded Swiss cheese to my egg salad. I love the taste and think others would also

10. Janine calhoun

July 2, 2018 at 5:49 pm

look good and I will try for lunch on Tuesday. Thanks for the recipe.

11. Ellen Wernecke

July 3, 2018 at 6:09 am

Why peel the eggs? So much quicker to give a quick,
      sharp cut, halve the egg & clean out of shell with a spoon! They’re going to be mashed anyway!

12. Gayle Kesinger

July 3, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Just made it and it is really good. Chilling now before I make a sandwich.

13. Jan

July 4, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Can’t wait to try this I love egg salad!

14. Tammy L.

July 4, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Just made it, pretty good!

15. Scott Smith

July 11, 2018 at 8:46 am

I’ll try it. For taste, it’s pretty hard to beat chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped green olives, and mayonnaise.

• Melinda Stepp

July 14, 2018 at 12:46 am

I’ll have to try that! I always put green olives in my tuna salad and chicken salad instead of pickles. Never thought of putting it in egg salad since I don’t use pickles or relish in it, but I’ll bed it’s good! Like green olives in macaroni salad once in a while, too.

• Cindy

July 22, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Love a nice fried egg sandwich with chopped green olives and cheese mixed in!I always add green olives to everything!

16. Angela Tyler

July 11, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Growing up Mom always used miracle whip in egg salad, which do you use in this recipe? Miracle whip or real mayonnaise?

• Rita T.

July 21, 2018 at 10:23 pm

My Mother always used a generous amount of Miracle Whip, a small amount of Horseradish mustard, a little salt and pepper with a light dusting of Paprika. I over fill with the egg mixture.

I have experimented with several methods of cooking the eggs. The best one so far is using cold eggs in cold water with a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Cover the pan bringing eggs to a boil, remove from heat keep covered for 10 minutes, drain hot water, cold water and ice bath until cooled eggs. Using the baking soda has made it much easier to remove the shells. I have a glass top electric stove.

17. Marcha Berding

July 13, 2018 at 8:02 pm

My mother used to make egg salad with cream cheese too, but she put in a little minced onion & no bacon or cheddar. I’ve never seen another recipe using cream cheese, but I’ll sure be making this one tomorrow!

18. Gail Thomas

July 19, 2018 at 7:48 pm

When I boil eggs for egg salad, I pour off the boiling water after the eggs are done and immediately put them in an ice water bath for about 10 or 15 minutes. Chills those eggs down really well–just like they have been in the fridge.

19. Katherine Hill

July 20, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Made this recipe with the cream cheese, Miracle Whip and a bit of mustard and horseradish. Didn’t have chives, substituted with a couple of finely chopped scallions. A few teaspoons of sweet pickle relish. I deleted the cheddar, but added 1/2 pkg of Crab Classics, imitation crab. This I put in food chopper as I did the eggs. Salt and pepper. Sprinkled with Bacon Bits on top of the finished product. I have to say…..This was the Bomb!! Served on a delicious roll, with a side of chips. 😋😋

20. Barbara Kennedy

July 22, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Mom always put chopped celery in her egg salad, so I did, also, until I started using water chestnuts, which I like even better. I haven’t tried cream cheese – that sounds good! I do use miracle whip and ranch dressing, and add onion powder. Good thing I have some already made in the fridge right now – it’s lunchtime!