October 24, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This recipe for homemade donuts with biscuits is the perfect delicious solution when you are looking for an easy and simple treat. All you need is just five ingredients to make these soft-fried cinnamon sugar-coated donuts.
Pillsbury Biscuit Donuts Ingredients
- Vegetable oil, about 1 inch deep
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 1 can of Pillsbury original biscuits
Substitutions And Additions
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE: If you can’t find pumpkin pie spice, you can easily make your own for these easy biscuit donuts. Just mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, and ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves.
How To Make This Pillsbury Biscuit Donuts Recipe
STEP ONE: Heat your cooking oil in a heavy pan over medium heat to 350°F.
STEP TWO: In a shallow mixing bowl, mix white sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice to combine. Set the cinnamon sugar mixture aside.
STEP THREE: While the oil heats, lay your Pillsbury biscuit dough on a flat cutting board.
STEP FOUR: Use a 1-inch small round cookie cutter to cut out the center of each biscuit.
STEP FIVE: Carefully place donuts in the hot oil and cook for 30 to 45 seconds on each side or until turning golden brown. Remove the hot donuts with a slotted spoon to let the excess oil drip off.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you have an air fryer, you could also experiment with doing this stage in it. You will want to brush the donuts with the oil and cook on the basket then watch the cooking time as it will be different from a normal frying approach.
STEP SIX: Place each fried donut in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Flip over to coat both sides and then serve warm.
Instead of using a plate or bowl, add the sugar mixture to a brown paper bag. Add the warm donuts and give them a gentle shake to coat.
How To Serve
Serve these soft donuts for a sweet breakfast or any other time of the day when you are craving tasty baked goods.
Add a homemade pumpkin spice latte or cup of coffee to wash the donut down.
If these cinnamon sugar biscuit donuts give you the urge to try more homemade donut ideas, check out these pumpkin donuts with their tasty glaze. Or you could see donuts in their more savory light with this donut breakfast sandwich recipe.
Storing These Pillsbury Biscuit Donuts
ON THE COUNTER: These easy donuts are fine at room temperature for a day or two in an airtight container.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store the unused Pillsbury dough in the fridge by adding a couple of drops of water and storing it in an airtight container or plastic bag.
IN THE FREEZER: You can pop the unbaked dough into the freezer. Put it on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the freezer until frozen. Then remove and put them in airtight bags. You can freeze the dough for up to three months.
Making these homemade donuts with biscuits is a quick and delicious way to make the best homemade donuts. By covering the biscuit donuts in a spiced cinnamon-sugar mixture, they also have that extra flavor while still being a simple-to-make recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy recipe is the best the first day they are made, but you can store these in a single layer in an airtight container for a couple of days.
This delicious biscuit donuts recipe can also be used to make donut holes, and, in fact, you can use any pieces of dough you cut out of the donuts to make donut holes. They will not take long to cook in the oil, so keep an eye on them.
While we haven’t tried this, you could use Pillsbury Grands. The dough may be thicker, and you may need to cook them slightly longer.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Bars
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Pumpkin Donut Holes
- Apple Donuts
- Baked Sour Cream Donuts
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls (No Yeast)
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Air Fryer Donuts
- Cinnamon Roll Donuts
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls
- French Toast Roll-Ups
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cocoa Gravy
- Key Lime Pie
- Campfire Scrambled Eggs
- Fireball Pumpkin Pie
- Turtle Dessert Recipe
- Sheet Pan Eggs
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Turtle Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Jello Cookies
- 2 Ingredient Bagels
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
Homemade Donuts With Biscuits
- Vegetable oil, about 1 inch deep
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 1 can Pillsbury original biscuits
- Heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- In a shallow mixing bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk together.
- While the oil is heating, lay your biscuits on a flat cutting surface. Use a small round 1-inch cookie cutter to cut the middle out of each biscuit.
- Carefully place donuts into hot oil. Let cook 30 to 45 seconds on each side, or until the dough turns golden brown.
- Remove donuts from the oil and place in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Flip over and coat both sides.
- Serve warm!
- If you have an air fryer, you could also experiment with cooking these donuts in it. You will want to brush the donuts with the oil and cook on the basket then watch the cooking time as it will be different from a normal frying approach.
- Instead of using a plate, add the sugar mixture to a brown paper bag. Add warm donuts and give them a gentle shake to coat.